Catsailor.com

1 up Sloop rigged?

Posted By: baringhupben

1 up Sloop rigged? - 06/07/11 02:10 PM

Hi - any issues with sailing 1 up slooped rigged with a kite in a club environment? I'm a decent sized bloke (95kg), so no problems in managing this, but had wondered what rules there are or what folks think?

Cheers,
Ben
Posted By: MD moz 1277

Re: 1 up Sloop rigged? - 06/08/11 01:46 AM

I don't think sloop rigged plus kite has a rating, that would be the only issue.
Posted By: MitchB

Re: 1 up Sloop rigged? - 06/08/11 02:55 AM

I think "Mosquito w/spin" is an all encompassing rating... pretty favorable one too shocked
Posted By: Tim_Mozzie

Re: 1 up Sloop rigged? - 06/08/11 03:25 AM

No Mitch that is wrong. Have a look at the VYC handicap document. It's really not that hard mad

"Sloop rigged cat sailed 1 up" has a -4.5% adjustment to the yardstick.

And as for the "pretty favorable" yardstick, would you please show us some figures, some results, or some facts of any kind to support this or for chrissakes just shut-up!
Posted By: No Turbulence

Re: 1 up Sloop rigged? - 06/08/11 07:17 AM

well said Tim and I don't even have a kite!
Posted By: Matt_Stone

Re: 1 up Sloop rigged? - 06/08/11 07:24 AM

If u cant beat us, join us

Re: 1 up Sloop rigged? - 06/08/11 07:51 AM

Tim - I was just talking about Cat or Sloop not the 1 vs 2 up... 'all encompassing' probably the wrong choice of words! Some people may have seen old documentation where the Cats and Sloops raced off different Yardsticks.

Matt - I certainly would/do encourage people to join the swarm! Great boat with good numbers! smile

Re: 1 up Sloop rigged? - 06/08/11 09:51 AM

Thanks for the views. Just to confirm, sloop rigged with spin is hcap of 80 less 4.5% (3.6) = 76.4.

If that's the case, it is still pretty competitive...

Let me know if I've ballsed this up! I'm new to the swarm and handicapping.

Cheers
Posted By: Tim_Mozzie

Re: 1 up Sloop rigged? - 06/08/11 11:22 AM

Sounds right. But I think you will have your hands more than full one-up sloop rigged with a spinnaker, unless you only sail in less than 10 knots!
It's challenging enough without the jib. Good luck...

Re: 1 up Sloop rigged? - 06/08/11 11:46 AM

This is a better answer than expected. A C2 guy suggested a protest a while back when I did this, so even if its 25kts next race I'll give it a go just to have some fun.

Cheers

Re: 1 up Sloop rigged? - 06/08/11 12:15 PM

This is a better answer than expected. A C2 guy suggested a protest a while back when I did this, so even if its 25kts next race I'll give it a go just to have some fun.

Cheers

Re: 1 up Sloop rigged? - 06/08/11 03:13 PM

The worst result of a protest would be that the 4.5% is applied to your yardstick (as it should be! so no biggie), but don't worry the protest would need to be against the Race Committee not you personally!

The Stingray w/spin yardstick is based on the YV adjustments and an Archived yardstick... nobody has protested an RC yet! It is all above board, but as I say when I enter any regatta our yardstick has worked fine so far as none of us beer swilling sailors have won yet haha

As long as you are out there sailing do what works for you!!!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums