Catsailor.com

Mainsheet systems

Posted By: furr_ball

Mainsheet systems - 11/11/11 02:34 AM

Hey,

Looking at changing my older Harkens and sheet.

What are others using?

Looking at -

8:1 system using either -
Ronstan 40 or 55 series
Harken Carbo 40 or 57.

Are the Ronstan or carbo 40 enough for our mossies?
Not center sheeting, sort of like it all at the traveller.

What diameter sheet are people running?
Posted By: mitchellsailor

Re: Mainsheet systems - 11/13/11 12:16 AM

The only issues using smaller blocks is it restricts the size of line you can use. (series 40 would be like 8mm)
I personally think 8:1 is as much as anyone would ever use on a mozzi (read small girls)!!
The norm is 6:1 with 10 or 12mm line keeping in mind larger diameter lines grip better in the ratchet but don't run as nicely and you find that the diameter differs greatly depending on brands and quality
Posted By: Matt_Stone

Re: Mainsheet systems - 11/13/11 09:33 AM

i run a ronstan 40 carbo block on the top. and a harken 40 carbo on the bottom, its plenty strong enough, but how ever it says on the harken that max line is 6mm, i use an 8mm rope but has some friction, take the rachet off and u will feel it run better, but i leave it on cos its a pain to change the switch over everytime as u have to undo the cleat from the block then put it on again

Re: Mainsheet systems - 11/13/11 10:21 AM

Hey,

Currently run 10mm with 6:1 on some old heavier harkens.

Had been thinking that if I went down to 8mm sheet it may be better to have the extra purchase of 8:1.

Part of the aim was weight reduction in the combined sheet block arrangement.

Ronstan website says 9mm for the 40 series orbits, anyone using 40 series orbits?
Posted By: Sixth Element

Re: Mainsheet systems - 11/13/11 08:53 PM

hi,

i am using the ronstan 55 series orbits as a 6:1 system with 8mm line. i find that this is fine with the 8mm to hold onto. got it before the 40's came out other wise would probably use them, have them as my jib sheets and they are fine there no problems with them as a block.
Posted By: JeffS

Re: Mainsheet systems - 11/14/11 08:04 AM

I have 6 to 1 40mm Ronstan blocks from my old A class on my 15yo daughters Mozzy and no way would you run a full 8mm line through them easily. I found an orange 8mm line that was more like 7mm that runs beautifully through them, if you go into a marine store and look at 10 mm or 12 mm sheet I'm sure you will start laughing, you can tie a 100 ft yacht to the dock with it
Posted By: Brian P

Re: Mainsheet systems - 11/15/11 03:51 AM

i have 7 :1 40mm harkens on my A class, running 6 mm sheet and im pulling over a 9.6m surperwing, they are fine, work great, i have 6:1 55mm on top of a 75mm ratchet on the stingray (basically an F18) and thats more than enough. i would say that 40mm for the mosquito is just fine. the only issue with the 40mm gear is that autoratchet is only available in 55mm which adds about $100 to the price. i bought my 40mm stuff from catsailor.net, arrived in 4 days, $15 postage.
Posted By: JeffS

Re: Mainsheet systems - 11/15/11 10:57 AM

This may suit you
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hobie-Ma...arts_Accessories&hash=item336e4ac920
Posted By: Matt_Stone

Re: Mainsheet systems - 11/16/11 08:30 AM

too big

Re: Mainsheet systems - 11/17/11 12:33 AM

Hey,

Thanks for the info from all, has helped greatly, helps to know what others use & works.

Yep, the ebay ones are too big and similar to what I have.

Probably go with the 40mm harkens as cannot find a ronstan triple block with cleat in the orbit 40, may go through mauri pro online as pricing is great.
Posted By: Darryn

Re: Mainsheet systems - 11/17/11 07:58 AM

Cheap harken blocks here,
http://www.harkenstore.com/uniface.urd/sccgcyw1.showpage
look at the close outs, some good gear there,
Darryn
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums