Catsailor.com

Sauna Sail

Posted By: Anonymous

Sauna Sail - 05/15/12 09:34 AM

Hi all,

so who's going to the biggest Mossie Regatta (outside of Titles) of the year?

I'll be there with the kite. cool

Don't forget your thermals eek.
Posted By: air_apparent

Re: Sauna Sail - 05/16/12 10:32 AM

hopefully the weather will be a little better this year and we can get our old spot back on the grass, last year it was part of the lake!!!
Posted By: Trevor

Re: Sauna Sail - 05/16/12 12:04 PM

Team Toy will be there. Looking forward to it.

Hoping for the wind this time - the wind everyone tells me will happen but has missed us for the last 5 years.
Posted By: No Turbulence

Re: Sauna Sail - 05/25/12 02:48 AM

Hi Guys,

Anyone going from Ballarat / Bendigo / Geelong side of Melbourne that could take a sail and or battens to the Sauna sail? apparently Peter N wants to beat everyone and needs some battens!

Posted By: Matt_Stone

Re: Sauna Sail - 05/25/12 11:25 AM

daniel works in williamstown, if that helps?

Re: Sauna Sail - 05/27/12 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by No Turbulence
Hi Guys,

Anyone going from Ballarat / Bendigo / Geelong side of Melbourne that could take a sail and or battens to the Sauna sail? apparently Peter N wants to beat everyone and needs some battens!

Hey Ross, the rumours you may have heard about the earth ending at the Eastern Suburbs shocked It's not true blush.

Why don't you bring the battens yourself and show us how well that new sail is working, I know you love a drifter. wink

Re: Sauna Sail - 05/27/12 09:49 AM

Hey Matt,

you and Daniel coming? With Spinnakers I hope cool

Get your entries in every one, the Taipans are keeping up with us at the moment. blush
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: Sauna Sail - 05/28/12 10:31 AM

Who's going to win this year......

Gary took it out in 2010 and could not defend his title in 2011 due to surgery.

I won't be defending this year due to guess what..... surgery (knee reco)

I would recomend coming 2nd. laugh

Re: Sauna Sail - 05/28/12 10:33 AM

I will drop by on Sunday / Monday. Going the long way arond, Melb to Bright, then to Bairnsdale before swinging through.

Re: Sauna Sail - 05/28/12 10:58 AM

gary, daniel will be sailing mossie, but if i can get a front beam b4 then i will be too, if not ill be sailing a torni,

Re: Sauna Sail - 05/29/12 08:32 AM

Hi Steve,

look forward to seeing you there, sorry to hear about the knee, hope it is not as much trouble as my Hernia Op. cry

Re: Sauna Sail - 05/29/12 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Matt_Stone
gary, daniel will be sailing mossie, but if i can get a front beam b4 then i will be too, if not ill be sailing a torni,

I have 2 brand new spares, pity we are so far apart, for that matter I was down as far as Dandy last week.

Our local aluminium supplier has access to the section, doesn't yours?

Re: Sauna Sail - 05/29/12 11:47 AM

ok gary,

I need 38mm x 50.8 (51) x 3 mm Imperial
So far i have seen have got the metric beam 40 x 50 x 3mm,
i need the exact cos i dont want to grind the glass out of the channels, means more work,
who cares if u are in paynesville, ill come up in a night if u have the right size beam, i need it

Matt

Re: Sauna Sail - 05/30/12 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by thricebitten
Hi Steve,

look forward to seeing you there, sorry to hear about the knee, hope it is not as much trouble as my Hernia Op. cry

frown Looks like I will be out for all next season.

Re: Sauna Sail - 05/31/12 10:18 AM

Ow thats a pain, literally shocked

Re: Sauna Sail - 05/31/12 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Matt_Stone
ok gary,

I need 38mm x 50.8 (51) x 3 mm Imperial
So far i have seen have got the metric beam 40 x 50 x 3mm,
i need the exact cos i dont want to grind the glass out of the channels, means more work,
who cares if u are in paynesville, ill come up in a night if u have the right size beam, i need it

Matt

Hey Matt,

looks like you are coming for a visit. laugh

The beam sections I have are 51mm x 38mm. I guess they are now 3 years old, but you sure you can't get them closer, what about Phillip WS?

Re: Sauna Sail - 05/31/12 01:05 PM

i have the last of Phillip has, and it has holes already in it for a rear beam, i dont want to use it cos the holes are out, looks like im coming up, friday night, or sat!
are they anodised?

Matt

Re: Sauna Sail - 06/04/12 01:52 AM

Well Matt picked up a beam Sat morning, so he should have boat back together by now wink.

Mitch M and Nick called in yesterday (while I was fixing up the boat ready for this weekend).

Nick is not coming, has just come back from hols in QLD, so needs to work.

Mitch M thinks he is coming, but is lacking motivation, so I was wondering if we could all put on a post to help Mitch get motivated cry.

Still need to get more pre entries in, some of the other classes are close behind in numbers, I guess the Stone brothers would never get organised enough to pre enter. shocked
Posted By: Tim_Mozzie

Re: Sauna Sail - 06/08/12 07:04 AM

So close! Mosquitoes are the largest class by one! One more entry than the Impulses.

Hey Mick is crewing one boat and skippering another. Can't wait to see how that works.
Posted By: Nic M

Re: Sauna Sail - 06/11/12 12:22 PM

Looking at the results on the lvyc site I am guessing no sailing today? If so big congratulations to Trevor in Div 9 and Garry, Matt and Daniel in Div 6!!

I hope the weekend was a good one!!

Re: Sauna Sail - 06/15/12 07:25 AM

Hi all,

yes no sailing Monday, foggy and no wind till 11am frown . Then with racing cancelled the wind came up from the North East, one of the best directions for Hazelwood (not so gusty)10-15 knots, best of the weekend, but no sailing cry. Such is life smile.

It was a great weekend, with occasional trapezing winds both days cool , so not bad by Sauna Sail standard. I had some great races with Matt, he did well when you consider I have been sailing at Hazelwood for 45 years shocked wind never really got going long enough for the F16's and 18's, but they did show us what they are capable of at times.

Trev looked very pleased with his win, ahead of Tim and Pete whistle. Rumour has it he is going to stop picking up kids off the beach and sail on his own more often smirk , he reckons cat rig sailing is easy now sick.
Posted By: Trevor

Re: Sauna Sail - 06/15/12 12:21 PM

Yep, Gordon, Phillip and I all agree that Cat rigged is too easy, so we are going back to sloop for more of a challenge grin

It was a pity about Monday, but the rest of the weekend was good. Most of us were never becalmed, eh Pete? wink so it came down to a good weekend enhanced by sailing.

Those of you who didnt make it also missed another fantastic meal put on by the Association. Thanks Di and everyone else that lent a hand. cool
Posted By: Tim_Mozzie

Re: Sauna Sail - 06/23/12 06:27 AM

I did a blow-by-blow account on the VMCA website so I'll reproduce it here. This is the bit of the course I was on, so sorry I don't really know what was going on elsewhere.

Once again, not much breeze but enough to get the bum over the side occasionally and fit in four races on Saturday and Sunday. Monday had the best breeze but not until the time limit for the start was up, so no racing on Monday. Saturday night a spectacular roast was cooked up by Di Floyd and her assistants, with sticky-date pudding to follow – ahhhh! Thanks Di.
Gary, Matt and Daniel sailed in the cats with spinnaker division, against Vipers (including defector Mick Floyd) and F18s, while the other eleven Mosquitoes sailed in their own division. Gordon Philip and Trevor all decided to take the handbrake off this weekend and left their jibs at home. They decided after the weekend that Mk1 sailing is too easy and will be putting the jib back on in future.
The following is a blow-by-blow account of what went on in and around the front of the Mosquito division. Maybe someone else can fill in what happened elsewhere.

There was some confusion in the first race Saturday. An obviously port-hand course was laid but the committee boat had the green flag up! The majority of the 150 boats decided the flag was a mistake (or just didn't look) and sailed a port hand course. Tim and Neil set out to do a starboard hand course but through the ensuing confusion ended up deciding to sail a port hand course anyway. Simon and Stephen stuck to their guns and sailed a starboard hand course but somehow managed to make it shorter - something went wrong there! Trevor managed to keep focused through all this and lead Peter to the finish line - although Peter started another lap instead of finishing which allowed Neil and Tim to slip through.

The second race was Peter’s and Philip’s to begin with but Neil and Tim were pushing hard. Tim was able to point too high for Neil & Philip and found a way through while Philip fought off the challenge from Neil. Meanwhile Peter made no mistakes and crossed the line first. 30 seconds separated each of these four boats with Trevor only 7 secs behind Neil and Gordon only 15 secs behind him!

Sunday morning, the fog cleared as we headed out to the start. There was just enough breeze to cross the line when the start came. A small puff just before the start was enough to push Tim over the line too early. After re-rounding the start boat through the midst of the lasers lining up for their start (how could there be enough room for a Mosquito to get through?) Tim then sailed in a private breeze straight past the fleet to reach the top mark first, leading Peter down the first reach. At the wing mark the wind died and the fleet piled up, Peter sneaking through now in front of Tim and Trevor. The second reach turned into a beat and this time Trevor had the opportunity to sneak through between Tim and Peter, but Peter managed to recover and round the final mark just ahead of Trevor. On the long starboard tack to the finish line Trevor and Tim sailed over the top of a frustrated Peter to finish 1,2.

Sunday afternoon was the best breeze and the only race run with the full three laps. This quickly turned into a competition between Trevor Peter and Tim. Halfway through Trevor was a 100m or so in front and Peter and Tim were side by side on the run discussing how to catch Trevor. Well, Trevor had other ideas and continued to extend his lead to end up winning with the biggest margin of the weekend. Tim stole 2nd from Peter with a final tack to the far wall just before the finish line, which ended up reflecting the final overall placings – Trevor, Tim then Peter. Well done Trevor.

Gary and Matt finished 1st and 2nd respectively in the spinnaker division (11 boats) with Daniel a point behind a Viper in 4th. Once again LVYC forgot to drop a race from the results, but this didn’t affect the divisions with Mosquitoes in them very much (bad luck for division 3 though!).
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums