Catsailor.com

rigging settings

Posted By: Wannabe

rigging settings - 08/16/12 03:04 AM

Help
Can anyone supply rigging set up settings/drawings for a MK 1 mast as I feel my mast is either too far back from centre or foward ( totally confused ). I seem to lack power no matter where I set the mast. I am a heavy weight of 90 kg
Posted By: Matt_Stone

Re: rigging settings - 08/16/12 09:13 AM

rig set up is a hard, im starting to move my rig around at the moment, at 90 kg try and have it more forward as you can can handle the power.

what i have done, when i got a new boat, i set the rig up nearly straight, i went out and the steering was too light as in the rudders had a mind of its own, so i dropped it back, then try it out, i kept on raking the mast till i got weather helm, so you have a series of chain plate holes you can play with, in my case i have 5 holes to adjust the rake. but i put in the middle as a happy medium. thats a starting point. as for me as the weather gets heavy i rake my mast back only one hole as i just start to get weather helm, so the bows don't dig in and and less power in the sail, wind range 17 to 30 knots. in light and choppy conditions i put rig one hole forward from happy medium as it drives the boat forward into the waves and get max power, but all normal days the happy medium,
diamonds play a big part too, 90kg from want tension at around 27 on the tension gauge.
this is my view on the mast rake, others may be different.

Matt
Posted By: air_apparent

Re: rigging settings - 08/16/12 01:50 PM

As Matt said its takes a bit of trial and error to find the best mast rake to create just the right amount of weather helm to create lift without too much helm pressure..
lack of power in the rig is more likely the fullness or lack of in the sail, this can be a combination of draft and mast rotation /spreader alignment. cat rigs tend to have softer diamond tension and can use more rotation to flatten the sail without using downhaul that would move the draft forward and open the leech so I think that the problem my be in the sail setup....

gordon
Posted By: Sixth Element

Re: rigging settings - 08/16/12 10:00 PM

keep an eye on your email as we are having a training day in at few weeks at ASC. As its cold will be doing mostly stuff on the beach so come down and we can all help you out if you want.
Posted By: Wannabe

Re: rigging settings - 08/17/12 03:46 AM

Thanks for all the advice and I will be at ASC as soon as you decide which weekend you'll be training
Posted By: Simon_Hallsworth

Re: rigging settings - 09/03/12 10:58 AM

Hi All, The training day is this coming saturday at Adelaide SC, starting from 10am. Plenty of experience will be on hand to provide advice on everything Mossie! There is a race on at 1pm for those that are keen to put their newly aquired knowledge into practice.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums