Catsailor.com

Rigging and tuning

Posted By: Beckit 1824

Rigging and tuning - 01/25/13 09:28 PM

Ladies and gents,
I am after the collective ideas on rigging and tuning the mozzie. Please open your secret books and divulge some of the basics on:
Spreader rake angles
Diamond wire tension vs weight
Stay tension
Mast angle/ rake
Baton tension
Leach tension

I have seen some boats rigged as tight as a drum, and others as loose as a hobie, and believe there is a world of difference between some of the boats. Matt (thankfully)has been helping me out on getting my boat set up, and I am not after hard trialled and researched settings but more the overrididing principles in what I should be trying to achieve and look for.
I have also heard many differing concepts and thoughts on the matter so think the forum is a good place to iron these out.

Luke
Beckit 1824
Posted By: Trevor

Re: Rigging and tuning - 01/26/13 12:47 PM

Hi Luke,

Titles are a good place to start. The best place is to get out the wallet and grab a copy of the Mossie tuning manual.

It is a collection of all of the tips and basics you have asked for, reasons for them and more you haven't got to yet!

Re: Rigging and tuning - 01/26/13 08:55 PM

I have never heard of the tuning manual. Who do I get one of those from?

Re: Rigging and tuning - 01/26/13 09:14 PM

When are the sugarloaf boys going to try out the frankston bypass one Sunday for a sail at rye? We will try to get the somers and Mccrae crew over for a mini regatta.
Posted By: Trevor

Re: Rigging and tuning - 01/28/13 12:07 PM

Hi Luke

The manual is available through the association (Philip I think, but check the website).

A Rye Sunday is coming up VERY soon. Will post up here when the date is set in Stone (if you get my drift grin )
Posted By: Peter_Lyons

Re: Rigging and tuning - 01/29/13 01:03 AM

What dates are you looking at Trev? I will try to keep the calendar open.

Re: Rigging and tuning - 01/29/13 07:04 AM

Anything to do with stones is generally pretty rubbery and red headed. Just look at Matt. There are a few double races on soon too. Might have to take a sicky Monday so we can put on a few beers.
Posted By: Matt_Stone

Re: Rigging and tuning - 01/29/13 10:56 AM

i will be there sun the 3rd, as im not going to sa states.
Posted By: Phillip

Re: Rigging and tuning - 01/30/13 02:28 AM

Pity Matt, as you WILL be sorely missed at our States, Wallaroo, SA.

Re: Rigging and tuning - 02/01/13 12:31 AM

Matt, I take it you are looking at this weekend Sun 3rd Feb as there is also Sun 3rd in March.
Who's coming and what time is the start?

Re: Rigging and tuning - 02/01/13 06:20 AM

im down sunday, and race is at 130pm, i will be talking / teaching on how to tack and jybe, well boat handling skills if any one is interested!

Matt

Re: Rigging and tuning - 02/03/13 09:32 AM

Trev, you missed out on a great days sailing today at Rye. Race 1 was 5 - 10 knots with race 2 in a solid 10 knots. Matt cleared out in both races and I finished way out the back. My only excuse is that I was having too much fun with the spinnaker.

Re: Rigging and tuning - 02/04/13 06:59 AM

For the others who didn't go, we did some tacking practice and sail shape.

Matt

Re: Rigging and tuning - 02/04/13 10:08 AM

Thanks to Matt and the sugarloaf boys. Was a great couple of races on Sunday with close racing. Hope to do it again soon.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums