Catsailor.com

new mossie main sail

Posted By: fast energy

new mossie main sail - 05/03/13 12:18 PM

I am looking at buying a new mail sail
I have a goodall sail that is 1997 or 16 years old which seems to be ok or I am still getting good results with it
I am a bit bias towards goodall but this is all I have ever had
just asking for any views or add vice
thanks
Posted By: samc99us

Re: new mossie main sail - 05/03/13 04:19 PM

not a mosquito sailor, just found your post intriguing.

Even if your sail is old, if it is still fast it's fine! My suggestion is to use what is fast in the fleet. I suspect that would be a Goodall sail.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: new mossie main sail - 05/03/13 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by fast energy
I am looking at buying a new mail sail
I have a goodall sail that is 1997 or 16 years old which seems to be ok or I am still getting good results with it
I am a bit bias towards goodall but this is all I have ever had just asking for any views or add vice thanks

Actualy I have this season replaced a fast sail, with an even faster sail. I was surprised at just how much the old sail which was still fast had stretched, the new sail was faster particularly as the leech stood up better. Also in your case sails have changed a little in cut in the last 16 years, so you will see some improvment there. But don't think that you can use a new sail the same as your old, it will take some time to get the hang of how to adjust it and get the same and then better speed than the old sail.

Brands to look at, I and most of the current fleet use Irwin sails. Also Aleygater are worth a look, as one of their sailmakers sails a Mossie so knows the class and I have heard some of the Legends of the class are working on developing sails with Aleygater. And as mentioned Goodall.
Posted By: Tim_Mozzie

Re: new mossie main sail - 05/14/13 08:21 AM

Darryn Kopp is selling an almost unused Irwin main for $1500 including foam battens.

Irwin radial cut sail
Posted By: Darryn

Re: new mossie main sail - 05/15/13 02:39 AM

Link to the photo from the previous new mainsail thread.
http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubb...amp;filename=Irwin%20Mozzy%201782100.jpg

Darryn
Bullet
Posted By: Damo

Re: new mossie main sail - 10/26/13 12:58 AM

Three new Evolution Mozzie mains with carbon on the two fully re-vamped boats sailing out of Southport QLD today some new brands getting out there now, good to see the different ideas

Attached picture 1381831_10151926278758058_1419914834_n.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: new mossie main sail - 10/26/13 07:33 AM

Hi Damo,

good to see the Mossies out in QLD.

Is Evo a local sailmaker, have they looked at recently built sails from Irwin or Goodall?

They look interesting, should be good for light winds with only 6 battens. In this picture they look pretty flat and not a lot of luff curve, what do they look like in the flesh?

Re: new mossie main sail - 10/26/13 10:46 AM

Hey Gary.
We had a Irwin laid on top and its pretty close, the guy in the pic "Graham" is the owner of the EVO loft here in QLD. You wouldn't know from the pic but they seem very powerful and they spent the day trying to de-power- them but its hard to compare as there is only one Irwin sail here (Furball) and he is often hard to find, So I guess we will have to see how they go. As for the luff curve it measures all full to the measurements so Im not sure what else could be done with the shape, as you can see they have the boom mounted lower than most of your boats down south may be this makes this look short? not sure. With a bit more testing we should have them working well just need to get amongst you guys for the real bench mark.we should have better reports soon
Cheers
Posted By: mosquito

Re: new mossie main sail - 10/27/13 01:47 AM

something new?

Attached picture fat head mozzie.JPG

Re: new mossie main sail - 10/27/13 10:26 AM

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! but would the mast be stiff enough???
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums