Catsailor.com

Attach trapeze handle to Dyneema

Posted By: Greg/Debra

Attach trapeze handle to Dyneema - 06/14/13 02:48 AM

I have bought a roll of Dyneema to make some new trapeze "wires". The splicing looks straight forward, but how do I fit the trapeze handle? On SS wire one just has a single swage or stop crimped on the wire to position the handle. How is it done with Dyneema?

Thanks,
Greg.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Attach trapeze handle to Dyneema - 06/14/13 10:47 AM

You thread the line through the handle and splice on a thimble. Then pull the handle down over the splice till it sits on the thimble.

Re: Attach trapeze handle to Dyneema - 06/15/13 08:58 AM

Many thanks to Scarecrow for the advice.

Let me see if I have this right; splice on a thimble, then instead of cutting off the tail, continue it down to the dog-bone, and terminate it there with another thimble splice?

Re: Attach trapeze handle to Dyneema - 06/15/13 06:30 PM

You could do that but its not what I meant. Will take a photo at the club today.

Re: Attach trapeze handle to Dyneema - 06/16/13 07:54 AM

Thanks, I look forward to seeing the photo.

Re: Attach trapeze handle to Dyneema - 06/16/13 11:17 PM

I got a bit distracted when doing these and forgot to go back and shoot any more.

As mentioned above. Thread the trap line through the handle then splice in a thimble using a locking eye splice and then pull the handle back down over the splice. As shown below I just run the retracting portion of the trap wire through the eye, most people will add a small block.

[Linked Image]

Re: Attach trapeze handle to Dyneema - 06/17/13 12:56 AM

Thanks Scarecrow for the photos, and I can see that the handle sits on the eye splice at the end of the Dyneema. And it appears that the dog-bone is tied on with cord which passes through the thimble, and then joins onto bungee cord. When one attaches the dog-bone to the harness, the cord pulls through the thimble until it is stopped at the thimble by the red knob.

Is this correct? I haven't seen this setup before. I would imagine that having the dog-bone up high like that would make hooking on easier?

Re: Attach trapeze handle to Dyneema - 06/17/13 02:53 AM

That's correct, it is a pretty standard cat setup as it keeps upwards pressure on the dogbone so you don't come unhooked. Google image "catamaran trapeze" and you'll see plenty of similar photos.

Re: Attach trapeze handle to Dyneema - 06/17/13 08:07 AM

OK, I get it now, and will put something similar on my boat. Many thanks to Scarecrow.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums