Catsailor.com

New Yardsticks!

Posted By: Simon C

New Yardsticks! - 10/05/13 06:20 AM

Hi all,

Yardsticks on the move again and they got the spin size correct.

Mk1. 83.5
Mk1 spin. 78
Mk11. 82
Mk11 spin 77

Cheers
Posted By: colmc

Re: New Yardsticks! - 10/07/13 01:35 AM

G'day Simon,

Now, let me work this out, to be competitive, I have to:

Light Wind Triangles - Cat rigged
Light Windward & returns - Cat w Spin
Heavy Wind Triangles - Sloop
Heavy Windward & Returns - Cat w Spin (still faster than Sloop w spin)
Having a Blast - Sloop w Spin

I'm just not that competitive. grin
Posted By: Simon C

Re: New Yardsticks! - 10/07/13 10:39 AM

Excellent work Col smile
Posted By: Hairy M

Re: New Yardsticks! - 10/29/13 05:37 AM

so a mk1 mosquito is the same pace around the race track as hobie 16
Posted By: Matt_Stone

Re: New Yardsticks! - 10/29/13 07:43 AM

yep
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New Yardsticks! - 10/29/13 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hairy M
so a mk1 mosquito is the same pace around the race track as hobie 16

Well it's really dependent on conditions, if it's light Mk1 Mossie is much faster and if it's blowing (Hobie twin trapping) Hobie 16 is much faster. Somewhere in between they compete head to head whistle. But as Yardsticks are based on 15knot winds, the Hobie 16 is rated 1 point faster.

Mossie Mk2 is a closer comparison, a bit faster in light winds and only a bit slower in heavy winds, but currently rated 1/2 point faster. confused

Keeping in mind that Hobie 16's new Yardstick is 82.5
Posted By: Pirate

Re: New Yardsticks! - 10/29/13 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by colmc

Now, let me work this out, to be competitive, I have to:

Light Wind Triangles - Cat rigged
Light Windward & returns - Cat w Spin
Heavy Wind Triangles - Sloop
Heavy Windward & Returns - Cat w Spin (still faster than Sloop w spin)
Having a Blast - Sloop w Spin

I'm just not that competitive. grin

simple solution.........

just buy 4 more mozzies

grin

Posted By: Dazz

Re: New Yardsticks! - 10/30/13 12:39 AM

That is not entirely the spirit... lol

Yardsticks for OTB Catamarans have been determined, for most popular or more
common classes, based on results of mixed fleet racing at major regattas and/or club
racing, generally over a wide range of wind/wave/tidal conditions, but predominately in
moderate to fresh winds on coastal and/or estuary waters (i.e. - typical average
conditions at most Australian sailing venues/waters). Under these wind/wave conditions
(say consistently 12/15 knots+), sloop rigged (2 up) variants of some classes (e.g.
Taipan 4.9, Mosquito et al) typically outperform the cat rigged (1 up) variant, whereas in
light/moderate conditions (say consistently under 10 knots) the 2 variants are much
closer or equal in performance. Race Officers at inland waters clubs and/or sailing
venues where conditions are protected from the elements, with smooth waters and
generally light/moderate winds, may wish to modify YV yardsticks for these or other
classes, based on observed performances between racing crews of similar skills across
various classes. All such “locally derived” yardsticks are not to be referred to as YV
yardsticks but “Club” yardsticks or some other similar term. Race Officers should be alert
for and not permit regatta/club entrants “cherry picking” race conditions and sailing cat
and/or sloop rigged to suit conditions vs yardstick, with results then aggregated under 1
entrant. Sailing Instructions should be worded to prohibit such actions.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New Yardsticks! - 10/30/13 09:25 AM

I would still love to know where this mythical place is that has predominatly 12-15knots plus and Sloop Mossies typicaly out perform Cat Mossie variants confused . I think it takes a bit more wind than that whistle.
Posted By: air_apparent

Re: New Yardsticks! - 10/31/13 10:23 AM

when you find it Gary let me know... I would love to sail there..
Posted By: colmc

Re: New Yardsticks! - 11/21/13 11:57 PM

Can anyone please give me some tips on how to get my sloop to go the minute and a half faster than the cat rigs that I need to do to be able to compete against them? frown

I have sailed at my club for several seasons both cat and sloop and seem to be in about the same position in the fleet no matter which configuration I use.

Sorry Dazz I've never heard of Club Yardsticks, only club handicap. All clubs I've sailed at use YV Yardsticks.
Posted By: Sixth Element

Re: New Yardsticks! - 11/24/13 08:55 PM

hi Col,

Maybe you should talk with the sailing committee and all mossie sailors at the club and come to an agreement on a modified yarkstick, ie club yardstick for the mossies. We have done that and made the mk1's and 2's the same yardstick. On the lake it works out pretty even in most conditions so we made the decision to make them even.
Posted By: Simon_Hallsworth

Re: New Yardsticks! - 10/09/14 12:25 PM

Interesting update to the YV Yardticks. Mk 1's remain the same, while the sloops move to 81.5 on a probable rating!
http://www.yachtingvictoria.com.au/get_file.cgi?id=3363604
Not sure I agree that there is a 2 point differential between sloop and cat!
Posted By: Simon_Hallsworth

Re: New Yardsticks! - 10/09/14 12:29 PM

Looks like the spinnaker ratings have changed also... Also interesting!
Posted By: Tim_Mozzie

Re: New Yardsticks! - 10/10/14 01:31 AM

You have to admire our sloop sailors. They have managed to get 2.5 points faster without any changes to the boat. It can only be due to skill and talent. Unlike the cat sailors with spinnakers - we need to lift our game apparently.

The Taipan yardstick puts a big question mark on the assumption most people make that square-top sails are faster. The cat-rig is now rated slower than it was before the square-top, and the sloop is only half a point faster.

On the serious side this is a real barrier to club racers sailing sloop rigged. Why would anyone bother? Take the jib off and get a 2 point yardstick advantage!
This means less opportunity for kids to come into the class via crewing and the already struggling (in numbers) sloop fleet could well disappear completely.
Posted By: Tim_Mozzie

Re: New Yardsticks! - 10/10/14 01:38 AM

Things could be worse - the Moth Bladerider has been changed from 78 to 63.4 !!!!
Is this a major correction or a misprint smile
Posted By: Dazz

Re: New Yardsticks! - 10/10/14 04:13 AM

it's about where they should be!
Posted By: Matt_Stone

Re: New Yardsticks! - 10/10/14 09:15 PM

i like to know where they get the results from? look at any event with cats and sloops....
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums