Catsailor.com

cantered centre boards ? is this allowed

Posted By: fast energy

cantered centre boards ? is this allowed - 02/03/14 09:58 AM

hi all
I need some technical help with lining up centre boards in new hulls
would any one know the rake and degree of canter angle the centre boards are allowed
I have building plans but can not find this info

help would be greatly appreciated
as this weekend I would like to finish my boat
thanks
Posted By: Simon C

Re: cantered centre boards ? is this allowed - 02/03/14 11:16 AM

5.11 The leading and trailing edges of the centreboard slots shall be parallel and within 10 degrees of the perpendicular from a straight line along the tops of the main and rear beams.

From the building rules and restrictions, available on the national website.

Cheers
Posted By: fast energy

Re: cantered centre boards ? is this allowed - 02/03/14 12:48 PM

thanks Simon
does that mean by saying centre board slots they are referring to the leading and trailing edges of the centre board
but no canting angle referred to

im not trying to break any rules or stir up a big debate but interested in developing new ideas
thanks
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: cantered centre boards ? is this allowed - 02/04/14 07:44 AM

Hi Brett,

It's my understanding that if it's not in the building intructions, it's not allowed.

Before doing anything that is not in the building instructions, I would consult the National Technical Officer of the NMCC, Tim Shepperd.

I think you will find that canting is not a new idea to Mossies, builders have been trying to push the rules on Mossies since the 70's most things have been tried by somebody at some stage, but many learnt the hard way that they where not allowed.
Posted By: Greg/Debra

Re: cantered centre boards ? is this allowed - 02/04/14 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by thricebitten
Hi Brett,

I think you will find that canting is not a new idea to Mossies, builders have been trying to push the rules on Mossies since the 70's most things have been tried by somebody at some stage, but many learnt the hard way that they where not allowed.

Hi Brett,

I think Gary is right. The old boat we just bought, 1140 has canted boards. The boxes are perpendicular to the decks, but the boards are smaller than the boxes and there is packing inside the boxes which makes the boards canted.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: cantered centre boards ? is this allowed - 02/04/14 09:08 AM

Hi Greg,

so the packing is on the sides of the centrecases?
Posted By: Greg/Debra

Re: cantered centre boards ? is this allowed - 02/04/14 09:51 AM

Hi Gary,

There is foam packing in the top aft ends of the cases, pushing the tops of the boards to the forward ends of the cases. On the bottom the forward ends of the openings have been filled with fibreglass, making the openings smaller, and aft.

1140 is a Carter boat as is 1434, but they are quite different. Seems like Bruce Carter made quite a few changes along the way.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums