Catsailor.com

Rooster tails

Posted By: Greg/Debra

Rooster tails - 03/09/14 01:10 AM

Hi all,

Sailing yesterday in about 8 knots my rudders were throwing up great rooster tails behind them. I'm sure this is not a good thing. They are JK fibreglass rudders. Any advice about this would be appreciated.

Greg.
Posted By: Beckit 1824

Re: Rooster tails - 03/09/14 03:16 AM

Try moving forward on your boat. It is probably more from the wash around your transom rather than your rudders.
Luke
Posted By: Dazz

Re: Rooster tails - 03/09/14 03:29 PM

check your rudder alignment, they may not be parallel
Posted By: Pirate

Re: Rooster tails - 03/14/14 10:42 AM

Another check is the pintels themselves.
I found on 1182 that they came loose after a days sailing, even a half day in windy or in a large swell would loosen the pintels enough to allow a visible amount of sideways movement in the blades and rudder cases themselves.

I changed the nuts over to ny-lock style nuts and still had issues for several more races
crazy
I eventually added a 1.5mm stainless plate with 2 holes for the bolts in each pintel and discarded the washers in an attempt to tighten it up.... this did help considerably but it wasn't until I went up a size in the bolts that I saw some relief in sight

Now after several months everything seems to have settled down and the pintels aren't coming loose any more

I think the culprit may have been a dry transoms that got wet and expanded then dried then wet etc etc etc and the bolts were simply crushing the timber as each re-tightening was performed.
Something related to an older boat that's been sitting around in the weather for an extended period.... sound familiar wink

stab in the dark but if all the other suggestions fail ......

wink
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums