Catsailor.com

Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014

Posted By: Got Wood

Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 03/23/14 08:49 AM

YACHTING WESTERN VICTORIA - LAKE BOLAC EASTER REGATTA 2014
18th - 21st APRIL 2014

Please see www.yachtingwesternvic.vpweb.com.au
or look for us on Facebook (Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014)
Posted By: Pirate

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 03/24/14 01:55 AM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/387514437936120/

Accomindation booked

wink
Posted By: No Turbulence

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 03/24/14 04:50 AM

It's on my list to go. so that should be at least 4 Mossie's

No Turbulence

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 03/24/14 05:25 AM

Alan (Phillip's son), Phill, Mark, you and me... that's 5 for starters

But we'll have to stick some ballast on your boat to even it up tho

grin

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/07/14 04:12 AM

Harry, on his black mossie from Portarligton said he would also be there. also maybe 1 or 2 more.
could say something about ballast but it could get me in trouble.:)
Posted By: Al_scorpion1101

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/07/14 09:29 AM

Should be good mozzie numbers by the looks then!
Let's try and finish before Ross is on the beach with his main down :p
Al scorpion 1101
Posted By: Haz_Mann

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/08/14 12:54 PM

Ill be there gentlemen!
Cheers
Harry

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/09/14 05:12 AM

Good Man Harry, if you are talking to Lachie or Sam Stephens, you should ask them to come as well.

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/09/14 06:57 AM

Im not sure what lachie does these days, believe he sails an etchell a fair bit. Sam has his out every now and then but don't know if he'd be interested either!!
Cheers
Harry

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/14/14 12:55 AM

Is anyone turning up on Thursday night?

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/14/14 03:12 AM

Good chance Ross!

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/14/14 05:26 AM

Id like to be there on Thursday myself, I anyone would like to convince my mother?
Cheers
Harry

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/14/14 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by No Turbulence
Is anyone turning up on Thursday night?

that's the plan at this stage, but will depend on how "dry" the paint is ....
cutting it too close to call at the moment !!
eek

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/15/14 01:03 AM

Very Good Al, Not sure how we can help with your mum Harry and I think a Pirate should be able to get something that can make paint dry!!

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/16/14 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by No Turbulence
....and I think a Pirate should be able to get something that can make paint dry!!

Its done.....
its still tacky....

she'll be right !!! just have to keep fingers off it wink

Stiches out tonight so that just leaves......... oh about everything else crazy

Where are we parking the boats gentlemen ??

grin

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/16/14 10:56 PM

Hi Kingy,

I normally go to the Western side of the club house.

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/17/14 08:59 AM

Can you hear that........... confused

that's the sound of me LEAVING

[Linked Image]

see Ya's in an hour

wink

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/21/14 09:25 AM

Well I had a ball, what a fantastic regatta that was well supported with 8 mosquitos swarming around and a 9th turning up today but unfortunately not getting a sail in after the final race was abandoned due to exceptionaly strong winds

We had 3 sloop mozzies and 5 cat-rigged mozzies all buzzing around the course in hot pursuit of Ross
The other class that was in my opinion awesome were the Light-Weight Sharpies, amazing sight seeing 5 of them round the bottom mark with kites flying and barely a coat of paint between them, some of the best racing action in a hotly contested event !!!

As for Twice Shy.....
Friday was a disaster with a smashed rudder case, minor damage really when we had other boats with similar issues and holed hulls on top of that..... Twice Shy was one of only 5 boats to finish that race, if you call limping a damaged boat across the finish line a finish
blush

I picked up a trophy for race 2 so all the worries went away instantly.... (I'll post a pic of the trophy table later, all I could say along with many others was WOW !!! )

The face book page has already had lots of photos uploaded so if you want more ..... click me

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Many thanks to the Lake Bolac committee that did an amazing job and cheers to all my fellow Mozzie sailors
grin

364 days to the next one and counting...
laugh

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/26/14 11:21 AM

couple more pics.....

my 'home' for the Easter break, basically a flash shipping container but nice n warm and comfortable.
There's an idiot box on the fridge and a small dining table beside me, so its not in the shot.

[Linked Image]

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/26/14 11:29 AM

Race 1 on Friday was hell as you can see from the results, high winds and bullet gusts did a lot of damage and most pulled the pin early.....
only a few of us toughed it out, as strange as it seems 3rd,4th,& 5th are all mozzies shocked
seems them flash cats couldn't hack the weather as well as the old designed mosquitos
grin

[Linked Image]

I wasn't that far behind Harry on the last leg, but a shattered rudder case and subsequent capsize left me well behind and after what seemed an eternity I managed to limp her to the finishing line with rudder down and the other at all sorts of angles dangling out the back.
The break was definitely my design fault combined with the strong gusting winds...... more on that later in twice Shy's thread
wink

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/26/14 11:31 AM

As promised...

the Trophy table grin

[Linked Image]

grin

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/28/14 09:19 PM

Mixed class yardstick results smile

Lake Bolac results

grin

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/29/14 10:40 AM

Friday's race was an effort and a half I believe, somehow managed to sail about 20-odd metres on the bows alone...meaning only 2 foot of boat was in the water, the rest was out!
Cheers
Harry

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/29/14 09:36 PM

Safe to say Fridays race didn't go to plan for me!
Broken batten eyelet on a sail that's not even 12 months old.
Snapped a pin on a rubber on the way to the start line,
Causing major issues.
Got to the shore and put a hole in the port hull.
Good times!
Cheers to PIRATE for the help getting her back on the water
For the weekend, didn't look pretty but sure beats not sailing!
Al

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/30/14 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Al_scorpion1101

Cheers to PIRATE for the help getting her back on the water
For the weekend, didn't look pretty but sure beats not sailing!
Al

your welcome grin
wasn't going to leave you sitting on the beach for an instant, it was just a question of how to fix all the damaged bits.
confused

Your dad was the inspiration on the gapping hole all I did there was screw it together...... luck played a huge part in putting it back on the water as it did taking it out of the race....

As it turned out we were damn lucky the shop in the middle of no-where had the cartridge and gun to suit and even luckier was I actually had a drill the exact right size for that pin, even better was the fact that it was good enough to drill right through that stainless shaft
grin

Friday night was certainly a busy night for busted bits n pieces sick

You should upload the pics of your damage and the repairs, just so people know there aint nothing we cant overcome
grin

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/30/14 09:19 AM

Unfortunately that's beyond my technological skills!

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 04/30/14 10:01 AM

text message them to me....
Ya dad has my number
wink

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 05/02/14 10:27 PM

Here ya go mate......

Al's little hole after the boat ended up on my beach roller's hull support

[Linked Image]

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 05/02/14 10:28 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 05/02/14 10:39 PM

Most would have packed up and gone home.... Big gash in a spot that's nowhere near an internal access point and certainly not an easy quick fix !

With this happening just minutes from to the start of race 1 of a long weekends racing, there was no other option other than to turn a blind eye and make the fix as best we could.....

1 cordless drill
~ dozen philips-head screws
1 scrap of 3mm ply

a desperate search at the outback store scored us....

1 tube of roof & gutter silicone
&
1 caulking gun to suit
and all for a measily $10 grin

remember......

we wern't there to win "Best Presented"
we were there to sail

wink

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 05/02/14 10:42 PM

WARNING

Some viewers may become sick at the site of the following pics

sick

Phil and I start the 'fix' ......

A/ smear silicone all around the gash
B/ screw the ply on slowly moving it around the curve of the hull
C/ smooth off the excess silicon and lay a thin coat over the exposed bare ply
D/ park nearish the campfire and allow to dry overnight

[Linked Image]

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 05/02/14 10:48 PM

Ugly as it is...... not a single drop of water got into that hull for the entire w/end and Al got to do the rest of the races without any issues at all.
smile

[Linked Image]

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 05/03/14 03:08 PM

Might I add it didn't have a major impact on how I
Sailed haha. Brilliant regatta, good weekends sailing
Everyone get there in 2015!
Al
Posted By: Greg/Debra

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 05/04/14 09:42 AM

If I had the misfortune to be holed like that I probably would have given up.

Great effort to get back on the water. I admire your ingenuity!

Re: Yachting Western Victoria Lake Bolac Easter Regatta 2014 - 05/04/14 11:17 PM

it was amazing to see everyone jump in and assist with repairs at Bolac,(there were a few required)it shows what a great community sailing attracts.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums