Catsailor.com

1830 A new Mossie is Born

Posted By: Anonymous

1830 A new Mossie is Born - 04/06/14 12:19 AM

Hi All,

Just got the word, it's been a long gestation period, but my new platform 1830 is finaly ready to pick up.

This will be the 4th new boat I have owned in 47 years of sailing eek , can't wait until next weekend to see it in the flesh. Setting it up just the way I want, at my own pace over winter will be very enjoyable. grin
Posted By: Dave M

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 04/06/14 03:43 AM

Congratulations Garry.

Good to hear of the birth of a new mossie. Well done. Hope some good photos are to come.
Posted By: Pirate

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 04/06/14 08:56 AM

[Linked Image]

congrats on the new toy .....
and the name is ???

I'm jealous cry

Posted By: Nic M

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 04/06/14 09:02 AM

Fantastic Garry........will we see it at Rye for the Sloop States ???

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 04/06/14 09:53 AM

Easy guy's I haven't even seen it yet crazy , pics will come.

Not planning on sailing it anytime soon, want to take my time setting it up, got some special plans, you'll have to wait to see.

Also need to sell 1766 to finance finishing it off.

It's going to be called "Still Bitten" no surprise there grin.

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 04/13/14 09:56 AM

Hi all,

Picked her up today and home safely. grin

Before you say anything, have taken some pics, but you'll have to wait for somebody less computer challenged than me to post them crazy . But don't get too excited, it's just another boring white Mossie (at this stage) wink All the good stuff is hidden, centreboards are the most interesting part to look at, going to be interesting if I can feel any difference with the maximum length boards, hope to try them in 1766 at Easter cool

For anybody else interested in buying a new all carbon Mossie platform, beamed with centreboards and to cut some of the rumours that run about the place regarding the cost of Australian made 4.9 metre cat hulls. I can report the price for anybody to get a Mossie made like mine is $12,930. shocked Is this the most expensive Mossie ever? I guess so, but somebody had to do it cry

Not really a shock, was in line with quotes, so all good. smile
Posted By: Tim_Mozzie

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 04/13/14 10:37 AM

Here are the photos Gary referred to.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached picture IMAG0098_480.jpg
Attached picture IMAG0099_480.jpg
Attached picture IMAG0101_480.jpg

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 04/13/14 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by thricebitten
.... centreboards are the most interesting part to look at, going to be interesting if I can feel any difference with the maximum length boards .....

They look narrow over most I've seen.... whats the actual width ??

smile

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 04/14/14 08:08 AM

They are the same width as the Boyer "Flyer" A class boards I have been using in my Mossie for the last 4 years, 8 inches.

Why I am interested in trying these maximum (Mossie rule) length boards is that the "Flyer" boards I have been using are shorter under the Mossie than the A class, as the hull of the Mossie is deeper than the A class so less sticks out. So it's possible they have been a bit too small, these new boards (now available from JK Fibreglass) are the other extreme, so I am keen to find out if you can feel any difference when sailing, better pointing, more lift etc. And are there any down sides?

Hopefully find out this weekend whistle.

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 04/22/14 10:23 AM

New boards didn't fit in 1766 cases, carpet was too tight, so have to wait till 1830 hits the water to find out how they go.

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 11/30/14 09:28 AM

Hi all,

Well due to work pressures and life in general getting in the way, it's been a long time coming for Still Bitten, but it's getting closer and will definitely be seen at the Nats.

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 12/14/14 09:33 AM

Well finally got the mast up today, with an old set of kinked stays grin . It's starting to come together whistle , got the pole rigged, so just a new set of stays this week and shorten the dyneema traps and should be ready to rig up at the water next Saturday and get out for a test sail in the arvo smile . Then Sunday morning 10am ready to race to Loch Sport with Tim and Neil and visit Pete, can't wait cool .
Posted By: Dave M

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 12/14/14 09:17 PM

Hi Gary.

That's great that your new boat is getting closer to being sailed .

You must have had your patience tested in the process of getting a new Mossie on the water.

Some good sailing time before the nats' should see you arrive in good shape.
Dave Madden 1724.

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 12/20/14 11:31 AM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the positive vibe smile , finally got her on the water late today grin , just long enough to work out half a dozen things that need fixing frown But hopefully will be sorted for the 10am start tomorrow.

Felt really fast, accellerated quickly in gusts and very light and bouncy on the water. Long centreboards felt good, can't wait to sail with Tim, Neil and Pete tommorrow, hope it's not upwind though, that means a couple hours of trapezing and I haven't sailed since Easter cry

Attached picture First Launch smaller.jpg
Attached picture First Sail 2 smaller.jpg
Attached picture First Sail smaller.jpg

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 12/20/14 10:55 PM

Looks fantastic Garry.....I can't wait to have you beat us by even more now lol !!!!!!

Maybe a 50kg weight penalty ????

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 12/21/14 10:31 AM

Hey Nick,

Does that mean you are going to sail with Spinnaker at the Nats confused just so you can be canon fodder wink Not sure about 50kg, but I tried to do the right thing and put 1.6kg of lead fixed to the bulkheads yesterday. Bathroom Scales weighed 1830 between 1.5 kg and 3 kg under, but after the Titles here, the visitors needed all my lead, so I only had 1.6kg left, realisticly it couldn't need much more than another .5kg.

So after sailing under spinnaker with Tim, Neil and Pete for about 90 minutes going to Loch Sport in 5 to 15 knots and back with Tim and Neil for about 90 minutes tight reaching and beating in about 10 to 15 knots, I think its fair to say that 1830 is not slower than my previous Mossie and the long centreboards haven't slowed 1830 down. But my rigging did blush

It felt awesome grin, when I wasn't breaking stuff blush cry. Even ended up baptizing 1830 after breaking the trapeze when I was nearly home.

Get the bugs sorted out when I get to sail again from Boxing Day to New Years and its all good to go for the Nats whistle I hope wink

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 12/22/14 02:04 AM

No, no spinnaker for me........I am sure you have more than enough cannon fodder *lol*

Sounds like lots of fun.....a new boat is always special.

Have a great Christmas and I will see you at Speers point........
Posted By: Al_scorpion1101

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 12/23/14 02:30 AM

It's a damn shame to ruin such a beautiful new boat by putting a spin on it! Oh well each to there own I suppose.:)
#howlowcanthehandicapgo #deathtotheoldmozzies

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 12/23/14 09:41 AM

Hey Al Scorpion, I think you had better sail your boat more and spend less time on the net. You sound a bit like your on the wrong forum.
Posted By: Al_scorpion1101

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 12/23/14 11:11 AM

Absolutely Not, I love the mozzie class and am on the water every chance I get. Merely stating my opinion that this mozzie would be much better without the spinnaker smile maybe not beating A'S and the like but still! Enjoy your new machine

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 12/24/14 12:54 AM

Guess I just took offence to the Hashtags, this thread is about my new boat, I wouldn't want anybody to think I would do anything to put down old Mozzies. Only did the Canon Fodder jibe with Nick because his is a newish boat.

I am only a late starter in Mossies by some standards but I like the old boats, my first was in the late 90's she was already around 20 yers old, 1111 which was a 4mm ply Carter boat and the Heaviest boat at the 99-00 Nats, but it wasn't last. I loved that Mossie, as I have with all my Mossies (won a State Sloop Title on it).

After 16 years in the class this is my first even close to new boat (then it only happened because of Insurance pay out after a collision), my last Mossie was built before I started sailing Mossies. I haven't sailed since Easter which is a big break for me, so I am pretty excited about sailing again.

Anyway, Merry Christmas. smile

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 12/24/14 03:17 AM

.....and I'm used to being cannon fodder too :-) but it's still a LOT of fun......

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 12/28/14 09:10 AM

After getting out late yesterday for a couple of hours, having spent all day re rigging frown . Had a big afternoon today grin , again after spending the morning sorting out ropes etc. crazy Headed out at 1pm in 12 to 15 knots, to meet Pete part way to Loch Sport, sailed windward and returns for a while and then went reaching towards Loch Sport, awesome flatwater sailing and fairly gusty, keeping us working hard, then said goodbye to Pete and spent 1 hour trapezing on one tack, on a tight reach/beat back to Paynesville into the straits, then popped the kite again to show off heading out from Paynesville cool .

But I think I must be putting on weight, as after I dropped the spinnaker, hopped on trap on Port tack and bang the dyneema at the bottom of the trap let go (after surviving one hour non stop on the Starboard side) it just snapped on Port crazy . So that's two Sundays in a row, I have broken the bottom part of my trapeze, capsized and bent my tiller extension blush (two much pudding sick confused) an average end to 4 hours on the water frown .

Positive part of the day, sorted a few ropes and tried out the new spinnaker from Irwin sails, it's awesome grin, the new (for me) polyester (I think) cloth, holds its shape really well and looks great. Watch out for the white kite at the Nats cool .

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 01/07/15 06:46 AM

Loving the new boat, have sorted the bugs out and It's flying. Thanks to one of the sloop crews have some great pics, would post them but don't have the know how from my phone. cry

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 01/07/15 11:40 AM

Gary
Sent you a PM with my mobile number so you can txt the pics to me
I've also included my email addy so if you choose you can send them there if that's easier

I can upload them from there and post them here if you like

Kingy

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 01/09/15 12:48 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 01/09/15 12:48 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 01/09/15 12:49 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 01/10/15 09:14 AM

Thanks Kingy,

Made it home now, glad to be on the Laptop instead of the phone, have a vague idea of what I am doing on the Laptop. crazy Thanks again to Eliza for these photo's, amazing how much spare time some sloop crews have wink

Have more photo's generously taken and printed by Speers Point local and some have electronic copies of all boats, which have been promised to appear in the photo bucket, when they have time wink
Posted By: Trevor

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 01/11/15 09:33 AM

I have trained her to be efficient thereby leaving time for some photography wink

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 01/11/15 08:14 PM

I can do photography.... or sailing .....

females can obviously do two things at once ..... no training required according to my missus !!!!

wink

Posted By: Esho

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 05/30/15 12:55 PM

Hi mate please emails me on esho_junior@hotmail.com i am interested in getting a new mozzie built
Cheers stephen

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 05/31/15 03:45 AM

Esho,

I have a brand new ronstan car and track that would be ideal for a new mossie (was originally going on my taipan). Willing to sell below cost. Let me know if you're interested.

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 05/31/15 08:21 AM

I have emailed Stephen. Scarecrow's offer of the traveller, is a good point, all the bits do add up as well.

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 06/01/15 05:36 AM

Hi Still bitten
I have been in contact with Phill last night who makes them and he is getting back to me in the next few days with details.
there is 1 problem as he explained it will be 4-5 months for new hulls to be made as the fiberglass company has a lot on the go

It is a bit too long for my liking and i am now weighing up my options. It was good talking to him as he explained fiberglass boats are very hard to come by, people hang on to them

So pretty much i can either just wait 5 months to get a new boat built, and will most probably be 6-8 months before it is ready with rigging etc, or i just settle for a wooden boat

I just think 5 months just for the hulls is too long to wait
I am very new to the mozzie class and my partner is very new to sailing in general.
both of us need a boat time before we make the start line for the first time, so we dont completely make fools of our self and capsize before we even start, (i have done it before)
I am going to go look at JUST DO IT this week i know Steve Thomas well and i know the boat has been well looked after. Although i am a boat builder all my experience is fiberglass hence why i want fiberglass hulls
Anyway that is where i am at at the moment if anyone has suggestions or opinion please help me out
Regards Esho

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 06/01/15 11:07 AM

Just Do It is as good a wooden boat as you can get for the time it was made, certainly worth looking at.

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 06/01/15 10:28 PM

Esho,

Given your experiance, the other option would be to contact Damo up in the gold coast and get his (ex Boyer) moulds off him and build your own.

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 06/01/15 11:05 PM

Hi Scarecrow
Thank you very much i have emailed them (wait for the reply)
If i can get my hands on the moulds i would be willing to make 2 or 3 sets of hulls
Lay up on something like that will only take a week ish
To make the hulls is the easy bit once you have the moulds.
Any ways still going for a look at JUST DO IT in talking with Shell my partner we think it is just better to get a boat sooner rather than later and get a Glass boat commissioned at the end of 2015/16 season so we have had the time on the deck,
The misses put it to me perfectly last night
It is like getting your first car you never get a new car first off cos you are most likely to ruin it.

I completely understand i am not going to be at the pointy end of any race anytime soon and would be a waist of a new boat.
Will see what the blokes that have the moulds have to say and go from there

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 06/01/15 11:17 PM

Not sure if anyone has told you but part of the reason for the delay on both new Mossies and Taipans from JK Fibreglass is that Joe is currently building a new shed within which to build the boats. He also only builds boats part time as there isn't enough demand to keep him eating and paying the mortgage so boat building gets squeezed in around house building.

Re: 1830 A new Mossie is Born - 06/04/15 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Esho
Thank you very much i have emailed them (wait for the reply) If i can get my hands on the moulds i would be willing to make 2 or 3 sets of hulls

Don't mean to be a wet blanket but, keep in mind that you can make yourself a set of hulls no problem, but if you want to make other sets of hulls and sell them, there are things you need to do like test the first set for a period of time and get aproval to build more from the association.

This is just from my memory so check the actual rules with the association, that apply before you go ahead and start building more than one boat.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums