Catsailor.com

Hull chocks

Posted By: Greg/Debra

Hull chocks - 07/25/14 08:10 AM

I want to buy some hull chocks but I can't find anyone who sells them in Australia. Any suggestions?
Posted By: Dazz

Re: Hull chocks - 07/25/14 08:35 AM

http://www.forward-sailing.com/bottom-hull-protection/bottom-hull-protection-for-f18

they are brilliant, I just got a set for my boat from OTB Marine in Victoria. does not seem to be listed on there website, i just used facebook to message them. you could just as easily call or email them

http://otb-marine.myshopify.com/

Re: Hull chocks - 07/31/14 04:54 AM

Thanks to Dazz for the info. I contacted OTB marine - their's are $149 a pair but they are out of stock until mid September.

AHPC also have chocks in two sizes, 200mm thick ($160) and 100mm thick ($80). AHPC call them "stern supports".
Posted By: Dazz

Re: Hull chocks - 07/31/14 08:45 AM

You could have my ahpc ones for free, very unimpressed with them! They are not very thick so it's pretty easy for the boat to hit the ground if your not careful.
Posted By: Beckit 1824

Re: Hull chocks - 07/31/14 10:22 PM

Greg,
From what I have seen most people make them out of some PVC pipe and foam rubber. They take about 1/2 hour to make and take up heaps less room as they are hollow and light. so can fit over your boom in the trailer box.

Take 4 x foot lengths of 90mm PVC pipe and rivet them together internally x 2. It helps if you put a washer over the rivet head on the other side to prevent the rivet pulling out of the PVC.

Get some 5mm sticky back foam to wrap over the top and then add some elastic strap with a hook to hold them on. Total cost about $15 and mine have been going strong for 5 years.

Luke
Posted By: JeffS

Re: Hull chocks - 07/31/14 11:41 PM

You can buy the high density foam that is used as the core of those blocks from rubber/foam suppliers just use one of those hot wire cutters to cut the hull shape, mine are perfect. Make sure that the bungy is only just tight enough to hold it in place one of the F16 guys nearly lost an eye a few years ago when he was attaching it. Most of them have a bungy that goes completely over to the other side which makes you lean over with your face next to the bungy, better to modify it so it hooks together at the top

Re: Hull chocks - 08/08/14 07:48 AM

Thanks to Luke and Jeff for the advice. My neighbour's son lost an eye to an ocky strap so I agree with the hooks at the top idea.

I made a pair of the PVC pipe chocks to see what they were like. I think they make good bow chocks as well as being suitable for the stern.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums