Catsailor.com

Mosquito weight

Posted By: Mick_Molloy

Mosquito weight - 02/25/06 11:14 PM

I have a pretty old mosi ( sail number 654 ) but the hulls are in good condition and I would like to weigh the boat to see just what weight it actually is. I would like to set up something at home off the roof of the garage. How is such a system usually set up when weighing boats at nationals etc
Posted By: Fat Bomber

Re: Mosquito weight - 02/27/06 05:49 AM

Mick, last I got it weighed at states, it was one of the old butcher type scales with loops over end of the hulls and rudders but not rudder blades.
measurement rules specify what shall be included and excluded.
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~nmcca/doc/Mosquito_BRR.pdf
Posted By: Peter_Foulsum

Re: Mosquito weight - 02/27/06 08:17 AM

Mick,

You can probably pick up a reasonable set of scales from a "good" antique shop (not the girlie/jewelery/crockery type shop ). You could probably check accuracy at the same shop if you hunt around for a set of weights.

p.s. Was up around Lake Jindabyne last week and saw a pretty new sloop rigged Mozzie on the shore. I wasn't able to stop and get the build No. Do you have further details ?
Posted By: Tim_Mozzie

Re: Mosquito weight - 02/27/06 09:55 AM

Hi Mick

Like Bill said, four loops of webbing that go over the bows and transoms and stop at the beams and then butchers scales in the middle with a mainsheet block system to lift the boat and cleat it off.

Everything comes off the boat (including rudder stocks). We even deduct a few grams for the traveller car and mainsheet swivel if there is one.

Is there really another Mosquito at Jindabyne?
Posted By: Tim_Mozzie

Re: Mosquito weight - 02/27/06 09:59 AM

The other way is to use a plank across the boat and some bathrooom scales. Simply balance the boat on the plank.

I did this with mine, with everthing piled on to get the rigged weight - 92kg including spinnaker.
Posted By: Mick_Molloy

Re: Mosquito weight - 02/28/06 03:01 AM

Thanks guys - I will give it a go. Now just have to find a set of old butcher scales. Although the plank on bathroom scales may be easier in the short term.

Not sure about the fairly new mosquito that was seen at Jindy - as far as I am aware there is just the two mosquito's at Jindabyne. The other mosquito I think is sail number 1044 but not sure about that.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums