Catsailor.com

Paint Questions

Posted By: Matt_Z

Paint Questions - 08/16/10 06:59 PM

I'm in the process of renovating the hulls of a Stiletto 23. I have them stripped and almost faired to the point of being able to apply primer (brushing on Petit Vivid high build primer). If you're not familiar with this boat, it is kevlar with a nomex core, there's no gelcoat, just primer and paint.
I don't plan to put non-skid on the topsides. I was planning on going with Awlgrip, all over. I know Awlgrip is for above waterline only, but the boat will be dry sailed, dragged up a carpeted wooden ramp.
My question is whether the Awlgrip is a bad idea on the bottom, even if it is dry sailed.
I plan on painting it all white, no bootstripe. The only other non anti fouling bottom paints I've seen are satin finish, but I'd prefer gloss so there's no visible seam.
Is there something harder and more durable than awlgrip that I should use on the bottom (or all over for that matter)? I know a guy that will spray the finish paint, but I need to do the primer myself. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: JeffS

Re: Paint Questions - 08/16/10 09:12 PM

Perfection is perfection and oh so shiny but can't be sprayed.
Posted By: rturbett

Re: Paint Questions - 08/27/10 06:56 PM

I would agree that on any drysailed boat, pretty much any paint can be used.
I have used some automotive dupont polyurathane that has held up great on a hobie 16
I have used a variety of interlux paints- I am not the best at applying them, but they are pretty durable.
The other paint to consider- especially if you have someone with good spraying abilities- is aircraft paint. I don't know of anything more durable.
Rob
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums