Catsailor.com

Using the boards to depower

Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Using the boards to depower - 11/25/08 04:22 AM

I didn't get a chance to try it this past year. Or at least I didn't sail my own boat after learning about this. The last boat I was on was an Infusion, going upwind we were double trapped, maxed on downhaul, and maxed on the rotation. I was crewing and playing both quite a bit going up wind. One of the last upwind legs, when it was still windy we pulled the boards up a bit. Seemed to settle everything down, and it was actually our best race of the weekend.

My question is, does this work well for pretty much everything? As in other boats. Typically the only time I touch the boards is going out, or coming back in. Or, if its gotten so windy that I don't bother putting the chute up.

Would pulling the boards up a bit when its windy also help stuffing the bows when overpowered downwind?

Forgive me, its winter, I'm bored.
Posted By: macca

Re: Using the boards to depower - 11/25/08 07:55 AM

Yes and Yes smile

Basically, when you depower the rig, you can depower the hull too. So start pulling the boards up.

same for downwind, less drag from the foils helps keep the bows up.
Posted By: Bob_Curry

Re: Using the boards to depower - 11/25/08 09:58 AM

Yes, Yes, Yes.... blush

Karl,
Pulling the boards does help in releasing pressure from the hulls when going fast. When you get out again next year, try pulling them and see what happens. When racing, it is more important to raise the spin FIRST and get it going fast. Pulling boards are last on the priority list when singlehanding a boat with a spin in windy conditions. However before a windy race start, I do raise both boards about 6" or more depending on what my pre-start homework tells me.

In light air and sitting in on the tramp, I'll raise the windward board halfway upwind. When I round A mark and am ready to gybe(after the spin is up of course), I'll gybe, get the boat moving, then raise the new windward board as time permits. When I gybe again(if necessary), the boards are already set up and don't need to be touched again until 20 boat lengths out from the next mark. If you do it right, you will round the leeward mark with the windward board halfway up and the leeward board down. Take another look at the F17 tuning guide as a starting point for these settings. As the wind increases, pulling boards goes down on the priority list; no crew!

More to ponder over the winter!! grin

Bob wink
Posted By: TexasTuma

Re: Using the boards to depower - 12/30/08 05:53 PM

One thing to be careful of is removing the load from the boards and transfering it to the rudders... depending on boat type, Nacra 5.2/5.8 & 6.0 loaded up the rudders if you pulled the boards too much... but, this does work very well...

cheers...
Scott
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums