Catsailor.com

W/L or Triangle

Posted By: dave mosley

W/L or Triangle - 03/16/09 12:41 AM

There is another thread going on in the Open forum that brought up a question for me. Im new to the A having stepped down(I say stepped down with tongue in cheek) from a N20 and then F18, but was wondering what the Uni sailors enjoyed more...Triangle courses, W/L or some of both? The abcac course sounds real good to me right now.

Opinions please?
Posted By: Cary Palmer

Re: W/L or Triangle - 03/16/09 06:16 PM

Dave
Just follow me and you'll be alright
CARY
Posted By: Acat230

Re: W/L or Triangle - 03/16/09 06:27 PM

Dave,

The A-Class championship rules are written around W/L courses. I think if you get the chance to race the boat often, you will find that tactically, the downwind legs are harder than the upwind legs. An A-cat when jibed properly loses very little so it pays to take advantage of shifts. Glenn Ashby was featured in an artcile in this month's Seahorse magazine and said that at the recent A-Class WC, he would typically pass 8-10 boats downwind because he jibed more often on the windshifts and puffs. I think once the breeze is on, wild thinging downwind is just as much fun as a reach so there is really no motivation to have reaching legs at this time.

Look forward to seeing you in Bokeelia.

Bob Hodges
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: W/L or Triangle - 03/16/09 06:44 PM

Think of the reach to the offset mark as your A to B leg... In 15 knots... it's a lot of excitement!

Posted By: dave mosley

Re: W/L or Triangle - 03/16/09 08:00 PM

Cant wait! for Bokeelia and reaching in 15....

You guys take it easy on me in Florida, I dont want to get my feelings hurt!
Posted By: vaplayero

Re: W/L or Triangle - 03/18/09 01:54 PM

Hey Guys,

I am not much of a racer but we have a couple of local long distance races that are great (e.g. Labor Day VA Beach, Duck Cup, NC).

I love Long Distance since it takes me a while to dial it in.

However, there is nothing better that screaming on an A-cat (dialed in on any point of sail) and still having to go several nautical miles before rounding something.

I am also impress how well it handles rough water conditions. I had a few wild rides.

Cheers, Waldo
A3, VA Beach
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums