Catsailor.com

A Cat fleets, foiling vs floating?

Posted By: Timbo

A Cat fleets, foiling vs floating? - 03/14/17 09:12 PM

Are there any A cat sailors left here? I'm wondering what the breakdown in numbers is now that many of the new A Cats are full foiling?

I saw some of both types at the Bluster on the Bay regatta in St. Pete in January, I think they all stated together then were scored in separate fleets.

How many (percentage wise) of each are showing up at other regattas? I'm interested in a non-foiling A cat but not if there's nobody left to race against.
Posted By: Stumble

Re: A Cat fleets, foiling vs floating? - 03/18/17 04:26 PM

The fleet is still pretty mixed, probably about 50/50 flying/classic. A lot of the classic side are guys who have been in the class for years and not planning to or just havent made the transition yet. The rest are trying to learn how to sail the classic well before stepping up to the foilers.

At St Pete NOODs there's were 18 classics and 20 flyers, so a pretty even fleet.

The way the fleet works, everyone starts together, races together, drinks together, and the new the RC just breaks out the fleets at the end of the day for scoring purposes only. So it's a 40 boat fleet, not two 20 boat ones.

Re: A Cat fleets, foiling vs floating? - 03/19/17 06:18 PM

Thanks for the info. I was talking to some of the A cat guys at Bluster on the Bay in January, they said there's an A fleet up in Eustis I think that was doing regular races every couple weeks or so? I'm about 90 miles south of there, I'll have to drive up and check it out sometime. I'm looking at maybe getting a Classic, can't afford a full foiler.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: A Cat fleets, foiling vs floating? - 03/20/17 06:54 PM

You can't use the dog as crew, Timbo...

Re: A Cat fleets, foiling vs floating? - 03/21/17 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
You can't use the dog as crew, Timbo...

The dog is to guard the beer while I'm out sailing! grin
Posted By: tback

Re: A Cat fleets, foiling vs floating? - 03/22/17 02:44 PM

Timbo,

You'll find more A-Cats on Lk Minneola at Ding's and a lot closer to you than Eustis.

Re: A Cat fleets, foiling vs floating? - 03/26/17 06:09 AM

Thanks Terry, you racing A's there?

I've got to find it on a map, is it closer to Rt 27 or is it over towards Orlando off of I4, or off Rt 50 in Clermont?
Posted By: FloridaRoadie

Re: A Cat fleets, foiling vs floating? - 04/03/17 05:00 PM

Hello,

Your best bet for A-Cats is the Gulfport Yacht Club. They have the most A-cats in the Central Florida Area. They have club races the first and third Saturday. It would be about the same drive time for you to go to Gulfport as Lk Minneola.

Greg

Re: A Cat fleets, foiling vs floating? - 04/18/17 01:55 PM

The kids are going to love this!

It's a flying Opti!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UokOO60dsMU
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums