Catsailor.com

info on woody brown design 33 ft

Posted By: johnmyles

info on woody brown design 33 ft - 01/20/04 01:33 AM

i have a 1955 woody brown design cat in hawaii. vessel has asymetric hulls is 33ft with 12ft beam. it was originally the waikiki beach cat would like info on design [books]or address to contact.I would like to use vessel for inter island trips and south pacific voyages.handels well as i sail on north side of big island big wind big seas only trouble has been reefing once wind increases. any help is appreciated
Posted By: FrankRussell

Re: info on woody brown design 33 ft - 01/31/04 04:31 AM

Some of the Wiakiki Beach cats had a roller furling boom. Mostly CSK cats. How is yours rigged?
Posted By: dacarls

Re: info on woody brown design 33 ft - 10/14/04 08:50 PM

One of these (Manu Kai?) was sailed across the Pacific with TransPac racers when new. Woody was on board and I don't know who else of the brave pioneers. Woody told me (1969) that the front crossbar started to delaminate, so they would go zooming off ahead of the race boats, then turn around and come back and sail with them for the night.
He also said there was (is?) no deckhouse or any kind of cover: it was tough to go across 1/2 of the Pacific that way.

I think some of these Woody Brown stories are in a large picture book about the TransPac races (I failed to buy this book, and regret it).
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums