Catsailor.com

Name that boat part!

Posted By: Keith

Name that boat part! - 12/01/07 06:45 AM

I'm constantly finding new old things stored upon my F-27. On one of my last attempts at removing old stuff from the boat, I came across these, and I don't know what they are! My initial guess - a pair of anchor bridles. But, maybe, just maybe they are for something else. If they can be confirmed as anchoring bridles, great, any hints as to how to use them? Guess away...

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 126429-P1010065.JPG
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Name that boat part! - 12/03/07 12:46 AM

I would not trust that middle clip tie on for an anchor's strain. Maybe they have to do with raising the mast or holding the mast onto the trailer once it's down?
Posted By: PTP

Re: Name that boat part! - 12/03/07 02:47 AM

I would not trust that middle clip tie on for an anchor's strain. Maybe they have to do with raising the mast or holding the mast onto the trailer once it's down?

I wouldn't trust them with raising the mast either.... I would have thought it would be for the anchor too, but why woould there be 2 of them?

Re: Name that boat part! - 12/03/07 05:34 AM

I wouldn't trust them with raising the mast either.... I would have thought it would be for the anchor too, but why woould there be 2 of them?

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with raising or lowering the mast. The F-27 is designed really nice for that without needing extras.

On anchoring - the boats tend to wander around a bit at anchor. On way to take care of the problem is to offset the anchor line to one side or the other. Folks seem to rig some sort of bridle to accomplish this, although I'm not sure I've heard of any descriptions that exactly match these. There would be two so that you could offset the anchor to either side.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Name that boat part! - 12/03/07 06:38 AM

Why not just drop a stern anchor too, if it's going to wander?

Might it be some sort of a jib barberhauler set up? One on each side, and run the sheet through the middle clip? Or maybe for the spinnaker sheet blocks to clip to that middle clip?
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Name that boat part! - 12/04/07 01:19 PM

To stop the boat yawing about on a single anchor line to the main hull bow, set up a bridle that takes the weight of the anchor line to each of the ama bows with the line to the main hull slightly slack [but still cleated as back-up].
Most of the time this will work, but if not, shorten one of the bridles a bit to keep the boat pointing slighty one side of the wind, this is what the 2nd carbine is for [the original can stay cliped on as back-up]
You can also experiment with rudder angle, board depth and wing mast tying to help things settle down too.
A stern anchor just gives the boat 2 anchors to snatch against and would need resetting everytime the wind swung or the tide changed.

Paul

F32 #81

Re: Name that boat part! - 12/05/07 03:08 PM

Paul,
So I am correct in the belief that these are anchor bridles?

If I understand your post correctly - the snap would go to the eye on the float bow, the anchor line would go through one of the two carabiners (depending on the angle I want to set to the wind), and the anchor line would then be cleated off as normal to the deck?

I'm guessing the fact that I have two is either just for backup, or both can be rigged to the floats ready to use for whichever way I want to orient the boat to the wind (without having to take one off and move it to the other side...)?
Posted By: basket.case

Re: Name that boat part! - 01/19/08 02:27 AM

dock lines. mid clip to boat, ends to dock as bow line/spring and stern line/spring.
Posted By: oscar

Re: Name that boat part! - 09/02/08 10:43 PM

Did the previous owner have 2 Chihuahua's?
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums