Catsailor.com

Who has built an F Boat?

Posted By: phill

Who has built an F Boat? - 02/22/09 10:10 PM

Folks,
Many people build Farrier Tris and some even build more than one. This says a lot about the designer and his plans that he has to offer.

Just wondering if there are many people on this forum that have built their own Farrier Tri or do all the home builders generally just stick to the F boat egroup.

So if you don't mind admitting it , it would be interesting to hear from those who have.

Regards,
Phill
Posted By: PTP

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 02/24/09 01:42 AM

unfortunately most of the F boaters stay on the yahoo site, which is sad because the format of this site is superior and there aren't moderators here (for the most part).
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 02/27/09 05:16 PM

I've not seen the Yahoo site, but have you told them about this site? Maybe we can get them to come over and add their thoughts?
Posted By: PTP

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 02/28/09 12:20 AM

they are fairly ingrained in that site... I mentioned it about a year ago.
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 03/05/09 06:21 PM

I'm 14 months into an F32 and loving it. What do you want to know?

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 03/29/09 07:25 AM

Teamvmg,
Thank you for letting me know.
I only want to know the F boat builders in case I have questions downstream.
I'm really glad to hear that you are enjoying the process.
That is very encouraging.
The detail in the Farrier plans is really very good.

Regards,
Phill
Posted By: Buccaneer

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 04/08/09 09:27 AM

Which one are you going to build Phil? :-))

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 04/10/09 09:22 AM

Buccaneer,
After careful consideration I think an F82R would suit my needs the best. Not too big, not too small , fast and versatile.

I think this build will be a lot of fun.

Regards,
Phill
Posted By: SamW

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 05/11/09 12:53 PM

Hi Phil,
I have built an F82R.Finally finished her last year. It was deffinetly a great experience, and a great learning process. The boat is truly awesome, and im sure that when the time is right i will build another multihull in the future.

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 05/13/09 11:05 AM

Sam,
I would love to see some pics?

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 06/23/09 06:11 PM

Phil, send me your email adress and i will get send you some pictures,
Cheers, Sam
samjwhitmore@hotmail.com
Posted By: waynemarlow

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 06/29/09 11:18 AM

Have you considered the wider hull design for the F82R, Ian admits he has a set of drawings available and it does give a much fatter planning type of hull which we are used to with the F16's. It does also give much more comfortable accomadation ?

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 06/29/09 12:38 PM

I know that he has the wider version of the larger designs (F9RX) and F32RX) but i had no idea he had a wider version on the F82? If so this would be a really good option im my opinion especially if it dosent make the folded width overall much wider hindering easy trailering and parking ect. I will have to ask Ian about this option if and when i do sell my current boat and i am crazy enough to built another, as im not sure exactly what boat i will choose to build F22 or another simpler/lighter version of the F82R(I.E. very basic interior and no aft cabin).

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 06/29/09 06:33 PM

Yes the wider version allows other benefits as well as a fatter rear hull ( seems where most big tri's have gone over to ) in particular if you offset the dagger board by about 150mm you can get a fitted loo in the larger space Well on paper it looks like you can, practically ???? ). Ian is openly questioning whether the wider boats are slower as first thought. There was quite a discussion on this on SA a few months back

I've also thought that the Amas may just have not been big enough but with the extra width and leverage it gets back to being about right. Pity they were not slightly more foward of the main hull than they are now, but hey that was the design of the time and it has been a very successful design.

There are loads of benefits of the 82 in my mind, principally its small enough to fit in most marinas corner spaces. At 32 feet you are suddenly a big boat and in a crowded marina the shoreman will just say we have no berths. Also here in Europe its better to have a much cheaper boat build wise and spend the money saved on taking the wife to nice hotels along the way, afew nights on board followed by a nice night in a hotel to spruce up.

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 08/03/09 03:06 PM

Where in Europe are you Wayne?
Posted By: rumsailsman

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 09/11/09 05:25 PM

Sam,
I, too, am very interested in learning more about the F22 and potentially building one. What attracts you to the smaller boat after building your F28? For me, I just want a daysailer that will put a smile on my face when the wind picks up. Unlikely that I'll ever sail outside of the Turks and Caicos Islands where we live. I would love to learn more about your experiences building the F28 and if you are going forward with the F22. I have read everything on the Farrier site and I am close to ordering plans and study book.
I tried emailing you directly but it was returned.

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 09/12/09 03:01 PM

F28 is a production boat.
F82 is a home build boat [8.2meters long]

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 09/14/09 02:49 PM

right, thanks for the correction TEAMVMG. What stage are you at with your F32? I am leaning more toward the F82 now that I've read the study guide a bit more and more info on the site.

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 09/15/09 04:29 PM

Main hull been upside down all summer for fairing and painting. topcoats should be on this week so we can get it right way up and get on with building stuff.

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 09/21/09 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by TEAMVMG
Where in Europe are you Wayne?

Marlow, Bucks. If you ever need a crew ???

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 10/10/09 05:40 PM

one thing to consider is that with the F22 and F32 you wont have to build the beams and beam modules, this would save a lot of time but would mean having to buy them from Farrier marine. Ive decided to keep my boat for now and not sell i am trying to find a better mast to go on my boat. I also just bought a new more reliable trailer.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 11/01/09 05:14 PM

Sam, are you in Florida? Do you need Crew?

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 11/10/09 03:33 PM

Thanks for the input Sam. After much more reading and deliberation and advice from many on the web, I think I'd be biting off more that I can chew. Some day I will have one though.

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 06/02/11 07:33 AM

I'm 14 months into an F32 and loving it. What do you want to know?

Paul,
I hope that you are still enjoying your F32 build. I'm certainly having a great time working on the F85.
I recently got a really good buy on Harken winches and starting to thing about main sheet systems. I was just wondering if you have given this much thought for the F32 and if so what are you thinking of using?

Sam,
Did you use the two speed main sheet system specified in the plans on your F82R. I'm told even the 16:1 can be rather difficult when the breese is up.
Regards,
Phill

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 07/29/11 06:04 PM

the mainsheet will be a 7;1 straight foward purchase with a cleat on the traveller car, instead of tying off the other end of the sheet - run it inside the boom to a 4;1 purchase that exits the boom at a swivle cleat about mid way along.
this will give a 7;1 coarse trim for the helmsman and a 28;1 fine trim for the mainsheet man out on the float.
This is the system that have used on a seacart and it is great.Just keep the boom swivle cleat far enough foward that you dont hit your head on it exiting the main hatch!
It should also be fairly easy to add or remove purchases if required.
Posted By: Evanyoung

Re: Who has built an F Boat? - 11/01/11 12:22 PM

I will be finishing one next week hopefully and then you people would like to see will post the pics.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums