Catsailor.com

F-24 MK1 or MK11

Posted By: Anonymous

F-24 MK1 or MK11 - 08/04/15 02:00 PM

Long time multi huller downsizing to F-24. I would like to know differences between MK1 and Mk11. I did a search but nothing. I am on a lake in SC with a dock and plan on leaving boat in water. MK11 has daggerboard, what kind of damage when you run aground? Is the MK11 really lighter? I am looking for boat now. If you hear of anything for sale besides at the obvious places........
thanks
RBC
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: F-24 MK1 or MK11 - 08/05/15 01:32 PM

I have a Mk2.

Differences I saw between Mk 1 and 2

- Mk 1 non-rotating mast (early Mk 2 also had non-rotating mast)

- Mk 1 has offset centerboard. Mk 2 has centerline daggarboard. Some Mk 1 owners say the off-center makes one tack sail SLIGHTLY different than the other tack. But the centerboard does rotate up if you touch bottom

- Not sure, but I think Mk 1 sailplan is slightly different (perhaps smaller total SF)

- Mk 2 is slightly lighter

Both are great trailer-sailors and can be singlehanded. The mast raising/lowering system (with gin pole) is very straightforward.

There is an F-boat forum on yahoo groups (not to be confused with F-boats forum) that is frequented by the designer, Ian Farrier. In addition, there is an F-24 forum as well which is populated by Mk 1 and Mk2 (and a few Dash/Sprint 750) owners.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: F-24 MK1 or MK11 - 08/09/15 01:40 AM

Jay, thanks for the reply.
Still not sure what is best for me. HA

RBC
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: F-24 MK1 or MK11 - 08/10/15 01:23 PM

The best boat for you, my sailing friend, is one that will get you out on the water most often!

Cost
Ease of use
Shorthanding

Those were my criteria, and it just so happened I found a Mk II nearby at a reasonable cost. Could not have asked for an easier boat to singlehand.

the 24' size works best for me.

[*] Sailing conditions here are mild
[*] I can trailer it (in flat FL at least) with my existing vehicle (honda van)
[*] go from parked trailer to sitting in the water ready to raise sails in 45 minutes (by myself, about 60 minutes to break down)
[*] I can single hand up to about 18 kts comfortably. sails reasonably under mainsail alone if needed (a bit of weather helm)
[*] it's got enough space in the cabin for 2 adults if they don't mind being close. I've day-sailed it in 15kts with 4 adults and 5 kids
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums