Catsailor.com

Cross cut spis

Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Cross cut spis - 06/19/08 01:20 PM

Take a look at the attached picture. It shows the new assymetric on a very fast Formula28 trimaran. As you can see it is a crosscut design, done in Maxx. I wonder how stable a F16 spi done this way would be. I know a regular crosscut would not be too good, but with Maxx.. Perhaps an option to build spis at home for training and save the good stuff for regattas.

Picture was picked up here: http://www.linderson.com/xoz/

Attached picture 148811-xoz-spi.jpg
Posted By: Marcus F16

Re: Cross cut spis - 06/19/08 01:54 PM

Rolf,

The sail looks more like a code zero......do you know how light the maxx fabric can be & would it be snuffable.!

A cross cut kite would be smoother shape than the radial cut kite......getting the fabic to agree has allway been the problem!

Marcus
Posted By: macca

Re: Cross cut spis - 06/19/08 02:09 PM

That kite is on a furler, and the maxx stuff is OK for such a sail but it delaminates pretty quicky from being wound so tight on the furl.
Posted By: taipanfc

Re: Cross cut spis - 06/19/08 02:42 PM

If you want to have a kite set up Volvo 40 style, then this set up in your pic would work. But not sure if the F16 rules allow "hooters" or "code zeros", remember there was a similar debate in the past but results of that hazy to my memory (too much sun and heat).

If yes, then perhaps rid yourself of the snuffer and furl it up, and bring the kite down furled and keep on the tramp with the tack still attached to the end of the pole. Could work when you have a self-tacker.

Not sure how much quicker this could be, but could be a potential option.
Posted By: Smiths_Cat

Re: Cross cut spis - 06/19/08 03:28 PM

Does anybody knows, from which material the VX40 kites are? For a beach cat sized boat I think that Maxx is not soft enough for a spi or hooter.

Cheers,

Klaus
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Cross cut spis - 06/19/08 04:52 PM

Just by eye, that sail does not look like it fits the Mid girth rule to qualify as a Spi.

Plus I doubt Maxx is soft enough to shuffle.
Posted By: ejpoulsen

Re: Cross cut spis - 06/19/08 10:01 PM

The F16 rules allow furling, but the gennaker in the photo would not meet the "girth" rule in the class.
Posted By: MitchB

Re: Cross cut spis - 06/20/08 01:09 AM

I would have called that sail a "screecher"

The larger / trailable tri's/cats use them for reaching in light airs, or downhill in very heavy!

I think most of the time they are pretty close to 1.5oz. Too much to stuff in a sock I would imagine!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums