Catsailor.com

It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos?

Posted By: Jalani

It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/14/09 08:58 AM

There doesn't seem to be much going on at the moment around here - I did manage to get in a couple of races over Christmas but there's nothing planned for a while. I have thought about doing the Datchet Warm-up but lack of cash is preventing me committing to it for the moment as travelling to and from plus accommodation plus food means that each weekend would set me back a couple of hundred pounds. sick

So, in the meantime, anyone got any good, new, F16 videos to remind us of what it can be like and get us all motivated again? Simon? Gill? What about you guys Down Under with your current 30+ degree summer? grin
Posted By: taipanfc

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/14/09 09:45 AM

Singapore has been awesome John. Past fortnight has been 15 knots daily from NE. 24 degree C water. Volvo boats in town to go watch. And the beer is cold. Life and sailing can't get any better.
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/14/09 10:03 AM

John, I think the heat has gone to the head of our friends in hot climates. They should come on a visit and feel the pain so they can appreciate their climate grin wink

Also wondering what our friends in Florida is up to?
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/14/09 10:56 AM

Nothing new from me I am afraid. lack of Job has killed off the sailing for the moment.

My Youtube channel is http://uk.youtube.com/scoobysimon

There may be some more up there when it warms up a little !

Come on guys in sunnier climbs....

Posted By: Timbo

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/14/09 11:31 AM

The Florida contingent is going to the Tradewinds Regatta this weekend. Unfortuneately there is a big COLD front coming down from Canada with the coldest air seen in like, 15 years! I heard it is now -40C/F in Minnesota, and north Florida will see temps in the 20's(F) this weekend. It should stay up near 68F (20C) for a high in the Keys where Tradewinds will be held, only because the water temps are about 75F (23C). I'm heading down there later today. sick

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/14/09 11:41 AM

Cold wind over hot water, interesting conditions smile
Any hope of pics/videos?

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/14/09 12:18 PM

Not from me but I'm sure somebody will have a camera and have some pictures to post a few days after the event, which is this Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin...ourly=1&yday=16&weekday=Saturday
Posted By: fin.

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/14/09 12:56 PM

Isn't Tradewinds local weather Plantation?

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/14/09 01:28 PM

Key Largo was the only one I could find, KL from Islemorada is what, 10 miles north?

Here's Plantation: http://www.wunderground.com/US/FL/Plantation.html
Posted By: bobcat

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/14/09 02:25 PM

big COLD front coming down from Canada

I will remind you that that air was in Alaska first! Watch were you place the blame.

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/14/09 02:53 PM

That may be so, but YOU had it last! Why didn't you guys light some fires and heat it up for us, like we do in California every summer??! grin
Posted By: Gilo

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/14/09 06:11 PM

I haven't been sailing since beginning of November... No winter series here.
It's really starting to ich now!

John, are saving some money for Carnac ;-)
Posted By: taipanfc

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/15/09 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rolf_Nilsen
John, I think the heat has gone to the head of our friends in hot climates. They should come on a visit and feel the pain so they can appreciate their climate grin wink

Also wondering what our friends in Florida is up to?

You have got to be nuts! Unless this global warming thing takes off and there are palm trees from pole to pole, won't catch me outside the tropics (unless lost).
Posted By: JeffS

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/15/09 05:10 AM

I feel sorry for you guys, here's the start of our 20km regatta we had last Sunday, one of these cats qualifies as a F16 can you pick it and what it is? That should fill in some of the winter for you. The wind picked up after this photo so the spins were up and on the wire for the whole 20km downwind
regards Jeff

Attached picture Regatta start.JPG
Posted By: CaptainKirt

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/17/09 02:23 PM

Mossie in the front??

Kirt

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/18/09 12:50 AM

Sorry no cigar
Posted By: ratherbsailing

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/18/09 02:41 AM

Cobra.

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/18/09 09:39 AM

You cheated but your right. Is there any midweek sailing this week in Adelaide, I'll be trapped in the bigsmoke for a couple of days. Hope to see you in April for the Earthmovers.
Posted By: Mark P

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/18/09 11:55 AM

It's not new! It's not sailing! but It is funny...
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=TjZyJdpnbtw&NR=1
(to me anyway). On a different topic there was no racing again today, too cold and too much wind. This Winter we must have lost 60% of scheduled races to excessive wind and near zero temperatures. Role on the Spring-Summer
P.S Beware, there is some naughty language!
Posted By: Mary

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/19/09 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo
Key Largo was the only one I could find, KL from Islemorada is what, 10 miles north?

Here's Plantation: http://www.wunderground.com/US/FL/Plantation.html

I just noticed your post. Plantation is up by Fort Lauderdale. If you want the weather in the Keys, you have to be specific. For the Tradewinds site at Founders Park, you would type in "Islamorada, FL." Or I generally use "Key Largo, FL," since that is where I live and close enough to Islamorada. And you can't just type in "Largo," because that is up by St. Petersburg.

I wonder if that is why some people get weather reports that are not accurate.
Posted By: fin.

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/19/09 10:29 PM

So there is no Plantation Key? confused
Posted By: Robi

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/19/09 10:33 PM

According to google there is.
click for google map
Posted By: sssh

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/20/09 11:08 PM

I was out 2 Sundays ago. Started the race in a F3 and it was cold on Rutland Water. Just me in the Stealth and 2 shadows. By the end of the first race the water was freezing on the tramp and by the end of the race the spinlock was solid with ice. Came in for lunch and did not venture out again as the sheets would not run through the blocks. My grandson, sailing a topper, capsised his boat on purpose just to thaw out the sheets so he could continue, He's 10 years old. Now that is what I call dedicated or mad!!
Posted By: simonp

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 01/21/09 12:07 AM

Are you all mad? Ice on the trampoline? Frozen sheets and blocks? Don't you think nature is trying to tell you something.

Had a great sail last Saturday. About 6 to 8 knots and 25 degrees C, shorts and t-shirt weather. This was the first race I wasn't able to stay on the wire the whole time upwind. The boat left the F18 way behind.

Don't have any video or photos of the day but hear are some pictures from november to help get you through the cold months.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ok so not everything went to plan that day.

[Linked Image]

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 02/05/09 06:04 AM

Took my brother out for a ride on the F16 last weekend with the camera. Please be kind this is my first attempt at uploading to youtube.

Posted By: jd259

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 02/05/09 06:14 AM

Nice Simon, especially the low view from the leeward hull. Love the gentle splash at the end. Get the spi out next time!

JD

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 02/05/09 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by jd259
Get the spi out next time!

Sure will. I was actually rigging the boat to take my 2 year old son, Bodhi, for his first sail and to test out the new righting pole (without Bodhi!).

Didn't think my bother was going to bring the camera, next time we'll be better prepared.

This is my 2 year old nephew loving it when the wind picked up to about 15 knots.

[Linked Image]

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 02/05/09 08:35 AM

Simon,

great video! Looks like fantastic sailing conditions with ultra-stable winds. Wish I was there..

Your brother is a brave man, letting you sail over him.

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 02/05/09 11:42 AM

Brave, trusting or just plan stupid.... Hmmm. In reality he didn't have a choice. He did mention something about "stop f$&@"/g aiming at me!"
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 02/05/09 12:51 PM

I'm planning to film like that this summer, my idea was to take a PVC pipe with two lids, some lead at the bottom, and foam in the top so that it floats upright like a cork.
Then mount the camera on top and maybe put a windvane on it to keep it pointing in the right direction.
Anyone else have some ideas for mounting cameras?
Its a bit cold for sailing at the moment here, I heard they went training last weekend but lines and blocks froze up.
Picture taken yesterday from the boat park:

Attached picture IMG_0180-1.JPG
Posted By: pgp

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 02/05/09 03:10 PM

A friend sent me a video of a "Dolphin Stampede", probably down in Baja California. It should brighten up any gloomy day.

Can't figure out how to upload it. Any ideas? Anyone?

NEVERMIND!

Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDiEXRMB-u8

Fitzroy dolphin
http://www.angelfire.com/mb/dolphins/duskydol.html

Posted By: Jalani

Re: It's very quiet in Europe, anyone got new videos? - 02/05/09 06:11 PM

Those look like some lovely sailing conditions Simon - I'm very jealous!! sick cool
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums