Catsailor.com

Spin pole while trailering

Posted By: TEH

Spin pole while trailering - 04/20/09 08:11 PM

New Blade owner question:

My spin pole fits in my van, but I'm not sure I want it in there with my kids. How do you transport it?
Posted By: PTP

Re: Spin pole while trailering - 04/20/09 08:18 PM

tie it to the trailer underneath the boat. thats what I do
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Spin pole while trailering - 04/20/09 08:21 PM

Or you can tie it to the top of your van if you have bars up there, or on top of your gear box if you have one on the trailer. Just be sure to tie it to something or you will be buying a new one! Some guys have cut a hole in one end of their gear box and then fixed a PVC pipe with cap to the hole, long enough to fit the spin pole into.
Posted By: pepin

Re: Spin pole while trailering - 04/20/09 08:24 PM

The one from my Stealth fits inside my sailbox complete with spin still in the bag and lines attached: it's a two part carbon pole so its length is manageable.

My nacra has a one piece aluminum pole. I just remove all lines from it and lash it to the trailer, next to the sailbox. It take much longer to rerig however as I have to put the bag, the spi and all the lines back on.
Posted By: pgp

Re: Spin pole while trailering - 04/20/09 08:27 PM

Slide it, diagonally, under the hiking straps. Use the martingales to secure it.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Spin pole while trailering - 04/20/09 08:41 PM

Cant you leave it attached to the boat? Thats what I do.
If for some reason I cant I just tie it to the mast.
Posted By: TEH

Re: Spin pole while trailering - 04/20/09 08:52 PM

Thanks

For those of you lashing it to the boat in some way, you remove the bag, right?
Posted By: Joanna

Re: Spin pole while trailering - 04/20/09 09:03 PM

We cut a hole in the end of the sail box to extend it. Used PVC pipe to close it up and carry it bag on, spin in bag, and rigged in the box.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Spin pole while trailering - 04/20/09 09:51 PM

I leave it on the boat most of the time.
Posted By: davidtugwell

Re: Spin pole while trailering - 04/27/09 07:57 AM

I leave it attached with all the bridles and rigging in place. Just tie it up tight to the mast cradle (as if it was rigged) so the bridles are tight and it is ready for the mast erection. Dont undo the tack or the sheets. Leave the spinnaker in the tube and just block the end with some old cloth to keep the dirt out. Easy.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Spin pole while trailering - 04/27/09 02:03 PM

I've not tried that but is sounds like it might work. Anything that saves me rigging time, I'm all for it!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums