Catsailor.com

GCat F16 for Global Challenge

Posted By: David Parker

GCat F16 for Global Challenge - 08/13/09 04:02 PM

In an earlier thread I mentioned that I have seen Hans Geissler doing on the water trials of pieces of his planned new GCat F16. He told me he intends to have as many as 5 boats ready for the Novermber 2009 Global Challenge in Gulfport, FL. His website has even advertised for test pilots.

I spoke with Robbie Daniel this week and he said he is helping Hans acquire wingmast extrusions from California, the same used for the Viper and (I think) for the Falcon.

There have been emails between Landenberger and Hans about producing sails. Landy is an old GCat fan and sent photos of his 25 year old GCat, still sailing.

Today Hans has sent me photos of the new hulls. He is a strong believer in the GCat boardless design and is laying out his money to prove it. I'll send more when I see the assembled boat. Here's some of what I've got:

Attached picture starting f 16  8-3-09 0311.jpg
Attached picture g-cat f 16 first hull in mold 0231.jpg
Posted By: Timbo

Re: GCat F16 for Global Challenge - 08/13/09 04:25 PM

Looks nice, do you know if he intends to charter any for the GC?
Posted By: Robi

Re: GCat F16 for Global Challenge - 08/13/09 06:49 PM

He had one back in Tradewinds of 2005. I wonder if has made any changes?
Posted By: David Parker

Re: GCat F16 for Global Challenge - 08/13/09 08:28 PM

He had one back in Tradewinds of 2005. I wonder if has made any changes?

I don't know if the hulls have been changed. I do know that he was not thrilled with the performance of the 2005 sail plan he had. I also know he did not have a good experience with the Dotan rudder system he used at Tradewinds. He is now using a composite version of his original GCat system with slightly improved blade design.

Robi, did you ever contact him about test driving this new boat?

GCat F16 press release

© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums