Catsailor.com

US Alter Cup - 2009

Posted By: tshan

US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/16/09 01:13 PM

The Vipers are being assembled at Clearwater Communtiy Sailing Center, participants arrive Sat/Sun with racing all next week. It'll be interesting to see how the Viper F16 is received by the fleet. It has been reported that Fun in the Sun (US distributor for AHPC) has sold 19 Vipers since last October - pretty good sales in a tough economy.

Other info:
US Sailing site: http://championships.ussailing.org/Adult/USMHChampionship.htm
Host yacht club: http://www.clwyc.org/
Host site: http://www.clearwatercommunitysailing.org

Schedule:
October 17
1300 - 1600 Practice racing
1200 to 1700 Check in
1800 Skippers meeting and drawing for first races

October 18 - 22
1025 1st warning, More races to follow
No warning signal after 1500 on October 22

It should be fun to watch.

Posted By: pgp

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/16/09 01:53 PM

Debbie and I will be spectating at least one day. Anyone else?

Is there a spectator boat? I emailed the host club, but no response yet.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/16/09 02:07 PM

Pete, you might volunteer to help out on a crash boat for a day, they might need help and you'd have a front row seat.
Posted By: smv

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/20/09 12:37 AM

Anyone know what the plan is for the boats after the event?
Posted By: Robi

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/20/09 01:42 AM

Last I heard these boats were previously sold. The boats at the event already have owners and there was an agreement for the owners to return the boats for the alter cup.

In other words the boats are being picked up by there respective owners.
Posted By: Brett Goodall

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/20/09 07:41 AM

That's right.... our dealers had sold them all pre regatta... the VIPER is in such demand we haven't been able to replace our Demo boat here!!!

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/20/09 08:44 PM

The ladies (Newberry/Newberry)get another bullet! laugh I can hear the cussin' from here, "frickin' F16 class needs a minimum weight"!!

Two smallish ladies (or one old fat man)have as much chance as anyone else. I think it's a good thing.

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/21/09 12:04 AM

Wait until 20 knots... the big boys will just be able to send it and the lighter weights will have to hold on.....
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/21/09 07:56 AM

Just what is the definition of "big boys" and "lighter weights" in your opinion? Just curious.

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/21/09 09:25 AM

Big boys.... 150kg+
Lighter... 120kg

But it's realitive because these crews are from all types of classes.

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/21/09 09:26 AM

Big boys.... 150kg+
Lighter... 120kg

But it's realitive.

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/21/09 12:27 PM

Rolf: I sail about 105 kg. Uni, and have a difficult time driving over 15 knots. The spin sets and take downs are tough, but at that weight a heavier puff will stand me on my nose. I must be hyper alert, no margin for error. Conversely, in the 6-8 knot range, I can easily fly a hull down wind*. When that happens the two man (around 150 kg) crews just can't keep up. It isn't skill on my part, just physics.

Sailing uni in heavy air requires extraordinary skill, we mortals spend lots of time swimming. Surely, the very light crews will have the same problem.

*It's very relaxed, nothing I can't recover from.
Posted By: Matt M

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/21/09 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
Rolf: I sail about 105 kg. Uni, and have a difficult time driving over 15 knots. The spin sets and take downs are tough, but at that weight a heavier puff will stand me on my nose. I must be hyper alert, no margin for error. Conversely, in the 6-8 knot range, I can easily fly a hull down wind*. When that happens the two man (around 150 kg) crews just can't keep up. It isn't skill on my part, just physics.

I think a lot of people remain fixated on weight as a left over from the old 80's mdel non-spin boats.

It is not that big of a deal on the new boats (Within reason) Boat handling is way more important than weight. When I sail heavier, I can push the boat so much harder- especially off the wind.

M

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/21/09 01:30 PM

Oh no, what have I started grin

I am not worried or fixated on weight, I was just curious about where Brett defined lightweight and heavyweight.

I agree that crew weight was far more important before we got spis and hulls with more bouyancy far down. Even the Tornado with its narrow hulls tolerated 200kgs crew weight quite well when it got a squaretop and spi.
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/21/09 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by pgp

Sailing uni in heavy air requires extraordinary skill, we mortals spend lots of time swimming. Surely, the very light crews will have the same problem.

Sailing uni IS harder, but a bit of practice can help; I'm around 75kg and start to really struggle about about 20kts. BUT I have been sailing uni for about 10 years now!

Itis not just weight!

Sailing single handed is different than with a crew; you need to plan ahead more!

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/21/09 03:04 PM

"Itis not just weight!" Agreed.
Posted By: Dazz

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/21/09 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by tshan

Is there any online coverage? photos? video? anything?? all those websites go around in circles.

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/21/09 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dazz
Originally Posted by tshan

Is there any online coverage? photos? video? anything?? all those websites go around in circles.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=67619
Posted By: Gilo

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/22/09 05:41 PM

Thanks for the link to the pictures. Any idea how to contact Philip Mumm? I don't seem to find an e-mail adress...

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/22/09 05:47 PM

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=3479

PM?

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/22/09 09:28 PM

Gilo - sent you an email with his info.
Posted By: Gilo

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/23/09 04:05 PM

Thanks
Posted By: P.M.

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/26/09 04:54 PM

Gilo,
I have replied to your email twice. I hope it finds you. . .

Brett, I spent alot of time with your dad, twice now, and met you mom, or as you aussies say, mummy. Great folks, and Greg is awesome, a true ambassador to the sport. So, are you a "chip off the ole block?"

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/27/09 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by mummp
Gilo,
I have replied to your email twice. I hope it finds you. . .

Brett, I spent alot of time with your dad, twice now, and met you mom, or as you aussies say, mummy. Great folks, and Greg is awesome, a true ambassador to the sport. So, are you a "chip off the ole block?"

Thanks for you kind words. Dad has worked hard to build a career and business around what he loves. He's been around for a long time, and seen it all. I've always said I'll stop sailing with him when I stop learning from him....

Mum (yes that's how it's really spelt) is a good character too... I'm probably more like her that dad.

Will we see you at the Global challenge?? It'd be good to start putting faces to these names.
Posted By: P.M.

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/28/09 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by AUS-CAT
Will we see you at the Global challenge?? It'd be good to start putting faces to these names.

I'm working on some options. I would like to make it down. We also have area D south Eliminations soon after the GC. If I make it, first Fosters is on me.

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/30/09 01:58 PM

Gilo,

Thanks for the Alter cup posting on the F16 website (www.formula16.net). It is always good to put the latest and greatest news in that format.

I love the picture of boat #4 and the crew pointing out a windward mark. I flipped through the thumbnails on beachcats, but once you enlarge the picture - the detail is awesome.

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 10/30/09 05:15 PM

+1

Re: US Alter Cup - 2009 - 11/02/09 11:07 AM

Small story on www.ahpc.com.au
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums