Catsailor.com

breakage

Posted By: gregP19

breakage - 11/14/09 11:27 PM

Am I correct to assume that the DNF's and DNS's in the windier races at the GC were due to broken parts on the boats? If this is the case, do some of you bring spare rudders, daggers, shrouds, spinnakers etc?? I realize this can get expensive.
Posted By: Brett Goodall

Re: breakage - 11/15/09 12:54 AM

I would say 50% of these are due to breakages.... all the VIPER dagger boards where damaged from hitting the ground at top speed... Chris Prentice hit so hard the bows stuffed the sand too..... he didn't break a board in that one.

We where REALLY lucking in that our dealer was here with a truck load of spares to keep us going.... I'm not sure where the bill is going but I'm sure it'll be a big one.
Posted By: Wouter

Re: breakage - 11/15/09 11:07 AM

Brett,

What is the wetted length of a Viper daggerboard ?

I mean the length of the part that protrudes down from the keel line when the board is fully down.

Thanks,

Wouter
Posted By: sailfast

Re: breakage - 11/15/09 02:20 PM

Wouter,
it's approxymatly 0,85 m

Francis.
Posted By: Joanna

Re: breakage - 11/15/09 04:19 PM

All the double handed Blade/Falcon and Tiapans that received DNS/DNF were breakage/malfuntion. And a lot of the single handed guys were equipment issues also. We had a mainsail break from me going through it, jib track break for the same reason and both trap bungees break. Luckly we did have spare parts. Matt made two trips over the week earlier with spare masts, boards, rudders, line, etc.
Posted By: Wouter

Re: breakage - 11/15/09 06:45 PM

Thanks Francis,

Except for Simons custom boards they are the longest in the F16 class so far. By 0.10 to 0.30 mtr.

Wouter
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums