Catsailor.com

Lost T-foil rudder, need new from Stealthmarine

Posted By: sindrulf

Lost T-foil rudder, need new from Stealthmarine - 02/27/10 02:19 PM

At the end of the season, we lost a rudder in a sudden thunderstorm out on the water. It was all rather dramatic, but we made it. The previous day, we had discussed to modify the locking pin, as we saw they were kind of unsecure.

However, we now need a new rudder but can not find the mail to stealth marine. Also their web page seems to be down. Are they gone bust? How can I get a new rudder?
Posted By: Jalani

Re: Lost T-foil rudder, need new from Stealthmarine - 02/27/10 03:08 PM

John Pierce, Stealth Marine:

stealthmarine@tiscali.co.uk

Tel: +44 1994 24 08 22

Hope that helps!
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Lost T-foil rudder, need new from Stealthmarine - 02/27/10 11:20 PM

John should be able to make you one quickly; I have a few spares in my garage; John usually takes a couple of weeks..
Posted By: davefarmer

Re: Lost T-foil rudder, need new from Stealthmarine - 02/28/10 04:23 AM

Has anyone tried rudders without foils for light air? Seems like they'd be less drag. Could John supply them?

Dave
Posted By: pepin

Re: Lost T-foil rudder, need new from Stealthmarine - 02/28/10 01:45 PM

If you need to source rudders fast the original rudders (the one without the T-foil, on the Stealth 'R') where stock 49ers rudders. I don't think the rudder cassette changed profile since then, just material (from aly to carbon).

Go visit your nearest 49er fleet and see if they have spares.

As for Dave's question about sailing without them keep in mind that Mark, reigning UK champion, uses rudders without foils on his Stealth...
Posted By: Gilo

Re: Lost T-foil rudder, need new from Stealthmarine - 02/28/10 03:16 PM

I saw him upside down with the spinny a few times during the 2008 GC.... He might have to reconsider his strategy... :-)

Re: Lost T-foil rudder, need new from Stealthmarine - 02/28/10 05:33 PM

Thanks Pepin, so there's some agreement that the foils migh be a liability in the light stuff? I love the rock solid stability of this boat when it's gnarly, but it doesn't seem quite as slick thru the water as the HT or the A, and I wonder if it's related to the foils.

Dave
Posted By: waynemarlow

Re: Lost T-foil rudder, need new from Stealthmarine - 02/28/10 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by davefarmer
Thanks Pepin, so there's some agreement that the foils migh be a liability in the light stuff? I love the rock solid stability of this boat when it's gnarly, but it doesn't seem quite as slick thru the water as the HT or the A, and I wonder if it's related to the foils.

Dave

Ah no, most debate is just that, bar talk, in regard to T foils. Certainly on the water its pretty evens even at low wind levels.

As to feeling different to the HT and A, the Stealth is a flat wide bottomed boat that slams on anything over a mill pond. Thats the way it is and way it is designed. The older A's are much more hull in the water due to less bounancy and certainly feel much more refined. Think of a hotrod compared to a refined touring car, both seem to get there at the same time but in a very different way.

Re: Lost T-foil rudder, need new from Stealthmarine - 03/01/10 02:57 AM

Thanks Wayne, that's helpful.

Dave
Posted By: sindrulf

Re: Lost T-foil rudder, need new from Stealthmarine - 03/14/10 08:44 PM

Hmm, he did not answer his mail.

Is it possible to buy one of your rudders?
The boat is from 2004, but I do not remember wether it was the left or right one, and the boat is 500km from here. Are there differences on the rudders?
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Lost T-foil rudder, need new from Stealthmarine - 03/15/10 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by sindrulf

Is it possible to buy one of your rudders?
The boat is from 2004, but I do not remember wether it was the left or right one, and the boat is 500km from here. Are there differences on the rudders?

If is ISP has gone pop; I'd expect he may not have access to email; Try calling him.

Yes; I could seel you one; but I'd prefer to keep them. Try calling him. If you do not have the number; send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

Posted By: pepin

Re: Lost T-foil rudder, need new from Stealthmarine - 03/15/10 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by sindrulf
Don't bother with email. He takes month to answer it. Call him instead.

The left and right rudders are exactly the same.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums