Catsailor.com

Australian get together regatta

Posted By: Stewart

Australian get together regatta - 03/30/10 02:45 PM

well I'm some where over the Indian Ocean.. crazy So wont be there drinking rum.. cry
Just wanted to wish the guys & girls all the best.. Hope there is a good turnout with good winds and seas..
Im told there are boats/crews from at least 3 states (WA, SA, Vic, ( not sure about NSW, Qld and ACT???).. Which if I recall the Au sailing requirements is the minimum for an official "National" class status!!
Posted By: Aido

Re: Australian get together regatta - 03/31/10 07:51 AM

Sitting here at st lenords drinking rum 2 Qld boats already here. 3 rd one nearly hear I hope.

Posted By: Brett Goodall

Re: Australian get together regatta - 03/31/10 10:10 AM

Yeah I think I'll be in trouble for that one... My crew has to drop his wife off to the airport tomorrow morning.... will be there by mid morning tomorrow... with wind... hopefully.
Posted By: simonp

Re: Australian get together regatta - 03/31/10 12:09 PM

We'll be leaving adelaide bright and early tomorrow morning (then again not too sure how bright we'll be). Hope to get there early afternoon.

Re: Australian get together regatta - 03/31/10 12:10 PM

Anyone got any weather forecasts for the weekend?
Posted By: Darryl_Barrett

Re: Australian get together regatta - 03/31/10 11:32 PM

Antony and Emile Barrett are half way there from Adelaide at 10am (Thursday) this morning with a cat rigged Blade each. So that's two more.
Posted By: Marcus F16

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/01/10 08:45 AM

Wish I could go - too much happening here at the moment. cry

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/01/10 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Stewart
well I'm some where over the Indian Ocean.. crazy So wont be there drinking rum.. cry
Just wanted to wish the guys & girls all the best.. Hope there is a good turnout with good winds and seas..
Im told there are boats/crews from at least 3 states (WA, SA, Vic, ( not sure about NSW, Qld and ACT???).. Which if I recall the Au sailing requirements is the minimum for an official "National" class status!!

If the boat from WA shows then it will be boats from 4 states.

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/02/10 01:41 AM

3 Cat rigged Aussie Blades

2 Cat Rigged AHPC Vipers

3 Sloop rig AHPC Vipers

Should be a good series.

18 - 20 knots today........should favor the sloop rig boats smile
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/02/10 03:13 AM

Nice! Thanks for the updates Marcus.
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/02/10 08:11 AM

5 knots or 20 knots; I hope you guys and gals have a great time !

Wouter

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/02/10 09:47 AM

15 - 18 knots...

Aido came out with two wins and Pim Haganar with two seconds. I sailed like a turkey (i'm sure the others will fill in the gaps) and got a 3rd and something else.

Tony Barret leaded the uni rigs closely followed by Don Dull.

Tomorrow looks like similar conditions and we still have 8 races on the cards.

Will get pics up soon.

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/03/10 12:25 AM

results here

pictures here

just about to start race three after a short postponment due to lack of wind.

have about 5-8 knots now.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/03/10 01:23 AM

Thanks. Great photos! I noticed that Blade 403 has the aft end of the snuffer on the tramp. What is the thinking behind that? Also curious about the impact of the carbon mast - in a couple of shots it appeared to have less bend than the superwings. Is that correct? Any other effects on sailing behavior?

It would be interesting to get finish times, a la sailwave so we can see better how close the fleet was.

Nice to see a couple of Herons in frame! My Dad's first boat was a Heron, but very few left in NZ.
Posted By: Darryl_Barrett

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/03/10 01:38 AM

Carbon mast MUCH stiffer than the Al ones, but his mainsail is still cut for the bend of the Al mast ie to much luff round, (no time to have a new sail cut for the carbon mast) so it was expected that he would suffer a bit particularly to windward. the "snuffer" extends onto the tramp to accomodate primarily a spinnaker that has only two retrieval points (instead of the usual three)

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/03/10 03:43 AM

Race 3 - Cat rigged blade first.
Race 4 - Sloop rig vipe 1st.

They are mixing it up!

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/03/10 03:49 AM

Lastest updates and photos

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/03/10 08:49 AM

This F16 sailor should look up the upper left hand corner if he wants to spot something out of the ordinary !

Notice the T-foils on that Aussie Blade F16 ?

(Plus a nice pic of two F16's being sailed 1-up (right to left : Aussie Blade F16 and a Viper F16)

Wouter

Attached picture Aussie_Blade_F16_T_Foil_rudders_P4029547_smaller.JPG
Attached picture Aussie_Blade_F16_and_Viper_F16_1_up_P4029620.jpg
Posted By: Dazz

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/03/10 09:05 AM

I noticed the WOLF in sheeps clothing...

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/03/10 09:25 AM

Apparently there is also a Capricorn F18 on the course, trailing an Aussie Blade F16

Attached picture Aussie_Blade_F16_leading_Cap_F18_Img_9538.jpg

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/03/10 09:46 AM

And I believe these are pics of the top 3 sailors at this time :

1st Adrian Fawcett and Jesse Dobbs
2nd Pim Hagenaar and Marlene Buizer
3rd Anthony Barrett

Please correct me if I'm wrong !

Wouter

Attached picture Viper_F16_sailnmbr_aus165_Adrian_Fawcett_Jesse_Dobbs_Img_9654.jpg
Attached picture Viper_F16_sailnmbr_NED122_Pim_Hagenaar_and_Marlene_Buizer_Img_9671.jpg
Attached picture Aussie_Blade_F16_sailnmbr_AUS406_Anthony_Barrett_leading_a_Cap_F18.jpg

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/03/10 11:58 AM

Close. After today's racing the top three Boats are

1st Adrian fawcett and Jesse Dobie
2nd Anthony Barrett
3rd Emile Barrett

I'll provide a more elaborate desciption after this bottle of red wine has worn off tomorrow.

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/03/10 01:13 PM

Since when did not letting the booze do the talking have a negative affect.....hic.... whistle
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/03/10 01:41 PM

Great shot:

Attached picture P4029663.JPG

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/03/10 01:43 PM

Thats called "sending it" and surviving!

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/04/10 01:31 AM

More updates at http://aus-f16.blogspot.com/

Currently sailing race 7 in about 5-8 knots and large chop.

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/04/10 11:25 PM

Managed to upload race reports for final three races and full regatta results before battery in laptop died.

Go to www.aus-f16.blogspot.com for updates. More photos to follow when I can plug the laptop in.

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/05/10 01:15 AM

Thanks Simon! Thanks for including all the sailwave results.

Unfortunately the right-hand side of the final results table got chopped off somewhere in your posting process. In case anyone is busting to see these without trawling through the individual race results, I've hacked the page and reposted it on the CRAW server - http://crawsailing.org/ausf16/

Congrats to Adrian and Jesse and nice work by the 1-up Blades!

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/05/10 03:05 AM

Thanks mark. I managed to upload it using a mcdonalds free wifi before the battery in my laptop died. Wasn't about to edit it with my iPhone though. Stay tuned more to come.

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/05/10 05:43 AM

Looking at two of the above picts. of the two sloop rigged boats, can someone -in the know- explain the difference between the white, Goodall sails and the dark Goodall sails?

I don't think it's just the sun angle making one appear dark, they appear to be of different material. Is one set a "new" set? Which set is the "new" set? Thanks.

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/05/10 10:01 AM

Timbo. There exactly the same sail... same cloth, same characteristic just different color.
Posted By: pepin

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/05/10 12:08 PM

From the picture I'm guessing one is white pentex the other one is smoked pentex. Exact same material, just different color.

White pentex is fairly recent I believe as I've never seen a white pentex sail before mine was delivered (515)

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/05/10 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Brett Goodall
Timbo. There exactly the same sail... same cloth, same characteristic just different color.

Thanks Brett, I thought I'd missed a new material or something.

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/05/10 01:20 PM

Hey Simon, hope you don't mind me poking around, but I've got to say that this is a totally awesome photo.

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/05/10 02:24 PM

Little nephew has white knuckle fever........ laugh

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/06/10 09:03 AM

Hi all,

well done to Tony first one up F16. I knew he would do well after the speed he showed last year, good to see he stayed away from the Occy straps this year. grin

What happened to Simon? confused

Who was it that had the carbon mast and Tfoils one up? Would have liked those extras when I was racing F16. whistle
Posted By: phill

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/06/10 09:58 AM

Gary,
I'm told that Simon hit something in the water. It ended his series rather dramatically.
Emile had the black stick but as Darryl pointed out earlier in this thread Emile didn't have time to get his sail cut for the new stiffer mast.
I'm sure Simon and Emile could give you more details.

Regards,
Phill
Posted By: JeffS

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/06/10 10:41 AM

I hope Simon didn't do too much damage to his boat, my highlight of last year was chasing him for 12km with him solo on the wire with spin in about 17kts. Its a shame we were only supposed to go 10km to the mark and we over ran it by 2kmcry
Posted By: Stewart

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/06/10 06:45 PM

So it was viper, blade, blade, viper

Congrats to all..

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/06/10 11:01 PM

Yep my series was ended when i broke a centreboard, cartwheeled and did some damage inside the hull. I didn't want to break the boat further so sat the rest of the series on the beach.

And Jeff the thing about our stuff up in the earthmovers race last year was that the ride downwind was so much fun I didn't really care that we sailed so far off course. grin

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/06/10 11:17 PM

Mark, that's my nephew Finn. His Dad completely neglects his kid's catamaran training (playing around with kite boards instead). Fortunately they love going fast on the Blade.

And Day 3 photos are here.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dazz

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/07/10 05:17 AM

Close racing, great stuff!!

[Linked Image]

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/07/10 05:22 AM

Sure was!

This was about 200m from the finish of race 8. Tony with the green spi managed to go to the layline and come into the finish on starboard and pass the other Blade(emile) and Viper(adrian) right on the finish. 5 seconds separated the first three boats.

Re: Australian get together regatta - 04/08/10 08:34 AM

Congrats to Adrian fawcett and Jesse Dobie.

Nice tight racing for the title with 1st place team at 8 points and second place skipper at 12 points.

I guess the picture of boats being really close together (in the earlier posting) truly says it all.

Wouter
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums