Catsailor.com

travel and regattas

Posted By: pgp

travel and regattas - 04/20/10 02:22 PM

I was reading about the expense of the north sea regatta and got to thinking.

Suppose we ship ten boats to some really nice place and hold a rotational regatta i.e. ten teams do one race, return to shore and ten different teams race. This is the format the Alter cup uses and it seems to work well. The point is that costs would be significantly reduced.

That's about the only way I'll ever get to anyplace "exotic" to sail.
Posted By: pepin

Re: travel and regattas - 04/20/10 03:34 PM

The problem is finding someone willing to lend 10 identical boats for a week. Not to mention that this is no longer a F16 event as only one model of boat is represented...

It's simpler to find five other teams to join you and ship a container to Como smile Or petition resellers for a charter, I'm sure AHPC could provide something, for a price. Or maybe a Falcon, via Gilo if he gets another container? Or maybe a Stealth owner not going there (Simon?) might be willing to charter his boat (but you will have to arrange transportation)

I've heard Joanna was considering doing the trip.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: travel and regattas - 04/20/10 03:40 PM

I'd like to go to Como, but that is one expensive trip, even with out shipping a boat. If the Intergalactic Formula 16 Challenge is in Australia next year I think I may persue that though.
Posted By: Stewart

Re: travel and regattas - 04/20/10 04:11 PM

The other issue is time.. There are ways to get a sponsored container to help in costs..

But your boat is out of action for 5 or more weeks before the event and the same after being shipped home..

Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: travel and regattas - 04/20/10 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by pepin
The problem is finding someone willing to lend 10 identical boats for a week. Not to mention that this is no longer a F16 event as only one model of boat is represented...

It's simpler to find five other teams to join you and ship a container to Como smile Or petition resellers for a charter, I'm sure AHPC could provide something, for a price. Or maybe a Falcon, via Gilo if he gets another container? Or maybe a Stealth owner not going there (Simon?) might be willing to charter his boat (but you will have to arrange transportation)

I've heard Joanna was considering doing the trip.

If we could agree something; I'd be willing to charter. Have not seen my boat for 6 months as I've been injured or busy. Must go see it soon and start cleaning etc.

You would need to arrange to get it from Just north of London to Como somehow....
Posted By: Jalani

Re: travel and regattas - 04/20/10 04:46 PM

When I was playing Tornados we tended to go the charter route quite a lot. It saved losing your boat for 4 weeks or more at a time and worked out cheaper overall. We just used to bring our own sails. Similarly, I chartered my (spare) boat on several occasions to visiting teams from AUS, BRA and once from CAN.
With enough boats in the class it can solve a lot of logistical problems.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: travel and regattas - 04/22/10 01:24 PM

What did you do about "insurance" when you chartered your Tornado? I mean, what was the deal if someone crashed it and caused $$$$$ in damage? Did you require them to pre-purchase insurance or did your own policy cover it when chartered out?

Re: travel and regattas - 04/22/10 02:40 PM

Own policy covered it in that I simply 'phoned my insurers and explained what was happening. On only one occasion do I recall the charterer organising their own. However, when I chartered boats I was always asked to arrange my own insurance. I guess it's up to the parties involved to see what works for them......

BTW how is "insurance" different to insurance????? confused grin

Re: travel and regattas - 04/22/10 02:49 PM

Well, being a Yank, I don't speak English too well, I wasn't sure what your word for insurance is, I had no idea they are the same word in both our languages. I just wanted to insure that I got the meaning of insurance assured...

Now, if you could just define the meaning of the terms "Bugger Off" and "You're Stuffed"...

Just teasing here, no offence intended to our ash cloud covered friends!

Re: travel and regattas - 04/22/10 03:23 PM

You wouldn't believe how much sh*t I had to wash of the cars this last week - I took a walk down to the sailing club last night and, sure enough, both the Stealths (and every dinghy down there) are absolutely filthy frown

Time for a sail at the weekend I guess ....

Re: travel and regattas - 04/22/10 03:29 PM

We had all kinds of crews stuck for days in England, Ireland and Europe! I was however -stuck- in Joburg, wish I'd been at St. John Gohgerty's instead, but I'd probably be dead by now...so I guess it was better for the wife and kiddies that I was in SA. ;^)
Posted By: Dermot

Re: travel and regattas - 04/22/10 03:33 PM

Tim, I have to assure you that I am unsure that you used the correct word to ensure that we understood "Insurance".
Oh-sure, forget it laugh

Re: travel and regattas - 04/22/10 09:58 PM

Well there you go...two great countries separated by a common language!

See, I can't get knackered, pissed, buggered and stuffed all at the same time over here!
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: travel and regattas - 04/23/10 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Timbo
See, I can't get knackered, pissed, buggered and stuffed all at the same time over here!

I'm pretty sure you can get anything in Vegas. grin

Re: travel and regattas - 04/23/10 01:11 PM

Yeah but if you asked for all that in Vegas, they'd charge you double for the buffett and then beat you up...and I don't know what they'd do if you asked them for a "pint" !

"What? Paint? You want me to Paint you?? OK, but you gonna' pay more for that!"

Re: travel and regattas - 04/24/10 12:09 PM

It's been 24 hours and not a single smart aleck retort re. Vegas and getting painted??

I am sooo dissapointed in you guys.

I guess I'll have to go to work and take some abuse from the -other- smart butts!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums