Catsailor.com

Andrew MacPherson Interview

Posted By: DanTnz

Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/11/10 06:26 AM

http://catsailingnews.blogspot.com/2010/05/cs-interview-andrew-mac-pherson.html
I'd be pretty surprised if there weren't some folks in here with some strong views on this!
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/11/10 06:40 AM

Nothing new on F16 from Macca.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/11/10 10:29 AM

At least he is consistent...
Posted By: mikeborden

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/11/10 12:38 PM

Doesn't he say that carbon ought to be ruled out on the F16 other than the boards?

Then he raves about the F20 full carbon boat?

And, didn't he say that he wasn't sailing for anyone in a previous thread that was pretty recent?

Am I missing something?

I know the guy is supposed to be really good, but WTF?

Posted By: Seeker

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/11/10 05:07 PM

So he thinks the big three ought to come in redefine the rules and basicly steal the class away from those who started it. What a guy.
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/11/10 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Seeker
So he thinks the big three ought to come in redefine the rules and basicly steal the class away from those who started it. What a guy.

Looks like a fairly accurate summary to me.
Posted By: pgp

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/11/10 06:47 PM

Good luck to the big three. wink We are all a bunch of misfits, free thinkers if you prefer, and we attract others of the same ilk. I wouldn't worry too much about being co-opted.
Posted By: mini

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/11/10 07:16 PM

I venture that the F18 had timing in its favor, not the big 3. (or 2 at the time)

While it is very sucessful, what other sucesses can be attributed to them?

The 20 class is a hoge poge of dead and dying boats with 1 new super carbon machine that is going to resurect it - YEAH RIGHT wink Some very consistent Macca logic working here.

We have how many different versions and confuguration of 17? All so succesfull because of them.

Nothing wrong with having large builders and their money for marketing, but it is not the end all be all of any class - just ask the A class.
Posted By: waynemarlow

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/12/10 09:23 AM

Nacra and Hobie have now got themselves into a real dilemma, by not entering this market earlier. AHPC now holds the key dominant market share / marketing hype, with the Viper. For Nacra / Hobie to gain any foot hold into that market share, their product has to have a real perceived performance gain. The only real way they can do that is by reducing weight to class limits leaving the Viper as the over weight pup, at which stage AHPC would have to redress the weight issues with purpose built beams and rudder assemblies.

For the F16 class it would be a win win situation.
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/12/10 10:40 AM

Or they could produce identically specked and performing boats, joining the Viper in a newly developed Formula, gain plenty of exposure on the regatta circuit and press, professional and non professional teams, perhaps a youth or women’s circuit........ And be a real threat to the F16 formula.

I would not be so ****. You can see it coming from a mile away if you are not wearing blinkers.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/12/10 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by scooby_simon

Looks like a fairly accurate summary to me.

It is business and nice guys finish last.

No one says they will come in and steal your Formula, however they could set up a rival formula and steal away market share.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/12/10 11:04 AM

Nacra and Hobie both already had boats which where more or less the same as the F16 concept called FX1 and F17, and failed.
IMO I dont see why they will join the F16 class any time soon.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/12/10 11:12 AM

What if they do?

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/12/10 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tornado_ALIVE
What if they do?

Cool, good for everyone.

As to taking market share, they are going to have take AHPC market share first, with growing fleets of Vipers they are off to slow start and unless they produce a rival boat soonish, they will never catch up.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/12/10 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by waynemarlow
As to taking market share, they are going to have take AHPC market share first,

Or from the Blade, Falcon or Stealth. AHPC could feed of the introduction of any Nacra / Hobie 125kg 16 footers as could Hobie and Nacra feed of the Vipers existance. As with F18s and as Macca poined out in his interview, some people are loyal to their manufactures and will only buy from their manufacturer of choice.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/12/10 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_F18
Nacra and Hobie both already had boats which where more or less the same as the F16 concept called FX1 and F17, and failed.
IMO I dont see why they will join the F16 class any time soon.

Neither ever had much of a class, they'd be buying into an existing class as a F16 though. I think that makes a difference.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/12/10 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tornado_ALIVE

Or from the Blade, Falcon or Stealth. AHPC could feed of the introduction of any Nacra / Hobie 125kg 16 footers as could Hobie and Nacra feed of the Vipers existance. As with F18s and as Macca poined out in his interview, some people are loyal to their manufactures and will only buy from their manufacturer of choice.

Yeah and, thats what marketing is all about, getting customer loyalty. Unless Nacra and Hobie dip there toes in the water and build a 16ft boat then they can only loose more customers to AHPC which in turn could threaten their F18 sales.

I personally am all for the big boys trying to set up their own class, it would leave the F16 class to get on with doing what they want as per class rules plus there would be other 16ft boats to race against. The handicap rating is so close that the gorilla on the tiller is going to be the winner.

If they are sucessful and hold a F16 Heavyweight or what ever competition and we want to join in then its not too hard for us to put a bit of ballast on to comply to their rules for the comp. Bit more difficult the other way.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/12/10 08:53 PM

The F16 threatens the "big" two and a half because it exposes the lie that catamarans have to be built to 1970's-80's weight to be affordable.
Several of the F16 builders have proven that this is not the case.

If the evidence ever sinks into the thick brain washed heads of the sailing public their masquerade will be exposed for what it is. The fact is; you can have a strong light efficient boat for the same price as a lead sled disguised in a modern design.

The extrapolation naturally takes you to; If they can build a F16 light weight, then what in the world are we doing accepting a 400lb 18' cat or a 13' roto-mold low performance cat that weighs as much as an F16? Thinking sailors will move towards the F16 concept, and forward thinking classes like it...the sheep will continue to follow the crowd over the cliff.

Catamaran sailors would never buy a new cell phone that was as big and cumbersome as those of the 1980's, nor would they own a computer that had the attributes of a Commodore 64, why they will accept a low tech 1970's boat molded in a modern shape will forever escape me when alternatives exist.

If weight is no issue why has Hobie Europe offered 6 catamarans less than 4 meters in size yet people are still moving forward with the F12 concept?

Why would the big 2-1/2 want to undermine the F16?... If other builders are building to F16 specs (or extremely close to them) it leads us to believe that the big 2-1/2 chooses not to. Apathy? Ineptitude? Laziness? Greed? Arrogance? Only they know for sure why they don’t put out a product that rises to the F16 concept.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/12/10 09:43 PM

Geez! Thanks.
Posted By: Brett Goodall

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/13/10 01:19 AM

Seeker,

While I am not disagreeing with you, there are many point you have not considered.

Firstly, it is more than possible to build a boat close to minimum weight without blowing the budget. Smaller manufactures and home builders have proven this. However this does come as a trade off on two fronts, durability and stiffness.

As a major manufacture we have to guarantee our boats, and in Europe that is 2 years by law. If you under build your designs then you are effectively playing Russian Roulette with your business. The other option is you have to charge more per boat to cover the high level of warranty claims.

The second point of stiffness is something that get highly over looked as a integral design feature.I'm not going to get into the "He said" - "She said" - "my numbers show" arguments here... As an engineer I know we can all take different conclusions from the same results. But the fact is stiffness comes at a cost, either dollars or KG (lb for the Americans among us). You have to choose the trade off between weight Vs stiffness. On a side note I believe this is a good feature of the F16... that is that the designer must make another critical decision.

While I agree that some manufactures choose to build easy / cheep boats in favor of "High Teching it up" I think it is rude to assume it is "Apathy? Ineptitude? Laziness? Greed? Arrogance?. In all situations the decisions have been carefully thought through and choices made.

I encourage anyone who feels they can do a good job at designing / manufacturing a catamaran to do so... then consider doing it commercially.

Oh and more "on topic"... does this forum enjoy the banter with macca???? this is the second thread specifically aimed at him. Just an observation.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/13/10 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Brett Goodall
As an engineer I know we can all take different conclusions from the same results.

Personally, I would be willing to take that risk.

And no, I don't enjoy these discussions, mainly because they are almost entirely data-free.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/13/10 02:36 AM

Oh and more "on topic"... does this forum enjoy the banter with macca????

I think its more to do with him targeting the class more than anything. This just happens to be the choosen battle ground. In other words, he started it. grin

At some point it will be fiscally viable to build boats lighter, cheaper and stiffer. Some person or company will come out with the next best thing in composites that will make us wonder why we even bothered with epoxy/carbon-fibre. Like many things in the past, it'll probably happen by accident, though those opportunities grow few by the day.

Any manufacturing business, if they've got the capital to move forward on a different product to fill a niche, they will do so. So long as it looks like there is a going to be a return on that investment, in other words its gotta pencil out. Sure, someone could have a underweight, fully optimized F16 built, but how much would it cost, and how many could you sell? Look at Marstrom, how many M20's do they sell?

So, is there actually a niche for a fully optimized F16?
Posted By: Aido

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/13/10 03:28 AM

Karl, maybe one day I'll magically grow wings and be able to fly like a humming bird.

Lighter, stronger, faster, better is without exception more expensive. Time to be realistic.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/13/10 04:31 AM

Brett

Thank you for your thought provoking response.

"As a major manufacture we have to guarantee our boats, and in Europe that is 2 years by law. If you under build your designs then you are effectively playing Russian Roulette with your business. The other option is you have to charge more per boat to cover the high level of warranty claims."

>>>I find this hard to accept, if this were true no one would sell "A" class cats in Europe as they are without question much more fragile than the F16. As a manufacture you have the right to define a reasonable scope of use for your product, outside of which the warrantee is void, as is the case with every other manufactured product.

"The second point of stiffness is something that get highly over looked as a integral design feature.I'm not going to get into the "He said" - "She said" - "my numbers show" arguments here... As an engineer I know we can all take different conclusions from the same results. But the fact is stiffness comes at a cost, either dollars or KG (lb for the Americans among us). You have to choose the trade off between weight Vs stiffness. On a side note I believe this is a good feature of the F16... that is that the designer must make another critical decision."

>>>As an engineer you know without a doubt that the very discipline itself is centered on designing structures, whether a catamaran, a car or a space shuttle ... maximizing strength/weight/performance/cost restraints and countless other factors.
To do other wise is no more scientific than a back yard builder saying "if one layer of glass will do the job, two will make it twice as strong" that's not engineering. Using F18 beams sizes for economy of manufacturing, with all due respect, is a marketing decision, not as much as an engineering one, although I concede there is a slight benefit in stiffness as a by product...

"While I agree that some manufactures choose to build easy / cheep boats in favor of "High Teching it up" I think it is rude to assume it is "Apathy? Ineptitude? Laziness? Greed? Arrogance?. In all situations the decisions have been carefully thought through and choices made."

>>>I was not trying to be rude, nor did I assign any particular attribute to AHPC, Hobie or NACRA. There is some reason the three above builders have not built an optimized F16... a larger boat builder has an advantage over a smaller builder in raw material costs because of the quantity of materials used if nothing else. Why is it that smaller builders do not have the same issues with the minimum weight?

"I encourage anyone who feels they can do a good job at designing / manufacturing a catamaran to do so ... then consider doing it commercially."

They are...they just don't have the budgets to attract the "hired guns " to sail their boats to victories.

"Oh and more "on topic"... does this forum enjoy the banter with macca???? this is the second thread specifically aimed at him. Just an observation."

No, I do not enjoy the banter with Macca or any of his minions but it does royally insults peoples intelligence when someone covertly tries to paint an alternate reality like he does thru deception and twisting of the facts. Many of those who do not abide in the truth become victims of their own lies, that is, they repeat the lies so often they began to believe it themselves.

Brett...while I have your attention I would like to ask you a question....is the Viper basically a Capricorn F18 with the distance between the stations compressed? It sure looks like it, and it would be a great way to develop the product with minimum hassle. Just curious.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/13/10 04:54 AM

Aido
"Lighter, stronger, faster, better is without exception more expensive. Time to be realistic."

No, that is a false premise...That is why we "engineer" things instead of building them "on the fly."

A properly engineered product aims to give the greatest cost/benefit ratio...spending a lot of money doesn't guarantee a superior product...only a more expensive one.

Take off your "Macca glasses" and you will be able to see the obvious.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/13/10 08:51 AM

Seeker,

Great to here some solid arguments that aren't just thrown around.

I had a response all done but it seems to be lost in internet land somewhere... anyway there was nothing of great importance in it...

But i will answer you question again:

The Viper was designed to try a few ideas we had coming off the back the CAP. We had some theories regarding hull shapes and volume distribution that we wanted to try out. The Viper was really a prototype for these ideas before we implemented them into an F18. The result is even still surprising us with what it can achieve.

As for weather it is a Capricorn compressed... not even close. One of the joys of CAD design is that you can have many hull designs overlayed on one another, we had the Cap as a reference but the whole hull was built from scratch. also with Cad design , product development is quick, cheep and easy so there is no need to cut corners. i have had some people want jobs done on the cheep and from experience, it is ALWAYS better in the long term to do it properly from the start.
Posted By: macca

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/13/10 10:28 AM

I'm a little too busy right now to bother getting into this again, but I always love the conspiracy theories that come out of this group!

The big manufacturers are selling lies!!!?? awesome stuff.

Oh, I am with Goran Marstrom this afternoon and tomorrow, would anyone like to know the costs to build a fully optimised (properly engineered, with warranty) F16? I am sure we can work it out for you all..

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/13/10 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by macca

Oh, I am with Goran Marstrom this afternoon and tomorrow, would anyone like to know the costs to build a fully optimised (properly engineered, with warranty) F16? I am sure we can work it out for you all..

Always a sign of ones importance when you have to name drop. Was it Mrs Bucket or Mrs Bouquet.

Yup a Marstrom carbon F16 would be ubber cool and a rich mans toy but it still is going to have to be 107 kilos, so I think I'll stick to my Stealth and spend the rest on a year of sailing practice ( and I bet I would be faster around the course than with the Marstrom ).
Posted By: pepin

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/13/10 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by waynemarlow
[...] I think I'll stick to my Stealth and spend the rest on a year of sailing practice [...].
Right, where were you yesterday? I didn't see you doing your sailing practice with the rest of us smile

And next time I see you please remind me that I need to convince you to come to Como smile
Posted By: mini

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/13/10 02:03 PM

Aido
"Lighter, stronger, faster, better is without exception more expensive. Time to be realistic."

No, that is a false premise...That is why we "engineer" things instead of building them "on the fly."

A properly engineered product aims to give the greatest cost/benefit ratio...spending a lot of money doesn't guarantee a superior product...only a more expensive one.

Take off your "Macca glasses" and you will be able to see the obvious.

Designing a boat, much like sailing one is a series of carefully thought out compromises. They may me detailed engineering decisions, but all still contain a cost benefit factor.

The big 2 have a history and significant amount of money tied up in existing boats that are very close, in concept anyway, to the F16. Someone in their organization has more than likely done some noodling over this and obviously decided for the time being there is not an economic benefit for them to enter into this market. As Bret pointed out, for a “company” to produce a product it has to backed up with warranty, real engineering, and plain old product development and support. This is unbelievably expensive if your market is only a few boats.

Compounding this is that the F16 rule is written to be a performance race boat. Part of the problem with achieving mass acceptance of a light weight performance package is always going to revolve around educating the customer. Everyone, of course, would want to have the fasted lightest baddest, all carbon super racer on the beach. Unfortunately for the commercial builders who have to back their product there are a large number of people who end up treating their new boat the same way they treated the 500 dollar used Hobie they had previously. Going out in conditions they are not qualified for, dragging it over rocky beaches, lax maintenance etc. You cannot treat a modern flat bottom high volume hull like you would your old thick keel V-bottom, not matter the weight. An A class will last a long time, but it will not make it a season if treated like I have seen a lot of people treat their boats. This does not apply to all, but if you look to mass marketing, you begin to attract this group of owners, which is why I feel the bigger builders will continue to avoid the F16.

The F16 concept was set up as sailor’s class, with more in common to the A than the F18. Both of those have been successful, but for very different reasons. People get upset with macca in particular, but he is just a spokesman for those that feel that the class should be builder dominated, and that if the class revises its rules the big players will start to play. The world already has several similarly sized heavier boats that have not been a marketing success. Yet we see continued attempts to raise the min weight, which IMO is one of the sole reasons the F16 class has grown where others failed.

Getting us back to the design and compromise concept. Weight does not necessarily equate to stiffness or robustness, it is cost and marketing. Using F18 beams on a 16 is a cost decision. It reduces molds, design, inventory and shop space and labor. It is not a design decision for stiffness of the boat, as a round section could easily be specified and sourced that saves considerable weight and is a lot better in torsion than the rectangular section now. Recycling F18 castings, foils and fittings does the same. In the end, this additional weight has to be very near what the boat is over, meaning the hull laminate is very close on weight per surface area to many of the small and 1 off builders. I apologize for singling out the Viper as all builders and even home builders face the same sourcing cost, and ease issues, but these particular items were used repeatedly in the context of this post.

The F16 is not for everyone, nor should we try to make it so but there is a nitch and enough customer base to make it a good thing.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/13/10 02:40 PM

"The F16 is not for everyone, nor should we try to make it so but there is a nitch and enough customer base to make it a good thing."

+1
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/13/10 03:26 PM

Goran could build a Hobie 16 and still feel right to charge 20.000 bucks for it.

Goran has never been inexpensive in whatever he produces. I would regard his F16 quote in that light.

Wouter

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/13/10 03:47 PM

Thanks Brett for answering my question about the Capricorn/Viper design connection. I am familiar with a few different CAD programs and understand where you are coming from.

My point was more from the angle of ....if you have a well performing hull design with "known attributes" it is logical to build on each preceeding design based on actual "on the water feed back" as opposed to starting with a completely blank sheet of paper and heading too far in a new theoretical direction.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/13/10 03:51 PM

"Goran could build a Hobie 16 and still feel right to charge 20.000 bucks for it."

And you could get Ferrari to build a Ford F-150 Pickup truck, neither would be worth the cost/benefit factor.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/14/10 12:23 AM

Best response I have ever read.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/14/10 03:24 AM

"Goran could build a Hobie 16 and still feel right to charge 20.000 bucks for it."

And you could get Ferrari to build a Ford F-150 Pickup truck, neither would be worth the cost/benefit factor.

The Marstrom tiller extensions are da' bomb, and not much more than the carbon Hotstick. Exception to the rule though.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/14/10 06:45 AM

Porsche could build an SUV but nobody would pay that much for an ugly, heavy, people mover.... would they?

Posted By: DanTnz

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/14/10 07:18 AM

.....next thing you know farmers will start buying tractors made by Lamborghini.....
Posted By: Jalani

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/14/10 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by DanTnz
.....next thing you know farmers will start buying tractors made by Lamborghini.....

grin irony is a wonderful thing.............
Posted By: Dazz

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/14/10 09:58 AM

Porsche could build an SUV but nobody would pay that much for an ugly, heavy, people mover.... would they?

Ugly is taking it a bit far!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Cayenne

I would happily park one in the drive way!

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/14/10 10:26 AM

People get upset with macca in particular, but he is just a spokesman for those that feel that the class should be builder dominated, and that if the class revises its rules the big players will start to play.

Well, it is more complicated than that I think.

I personally don't mind Macca much. I feel perfectly capable of handling him and I think the F16 class should feel the same. Every good story includes a Judas, right ? Some controversy always results in additional exposure c.q. promotion.

I do feel however that both Macca and the big builders are overlooking a very important aspect of the situation here. That is their own high mindedness. It is simply inconceivable that an 8-year old owners created and driven class will simply roll over and become a builders dominated class. We have proven to not need the big boys in the beginning and as a result we certainly don't need them now. However, this doesn't mean that there isn't room to come together over this. It just means their approach needs to be alot more accomodating towards the F16 class and less self-oriented.

Secondly, it is for them totally unrealistic to make far reaching demands without actually offering anything concrete themselves. Right now, the big ones simply demand we jump through a few hoops (raising the minimum weight unilaterally by what ? 30 kg ?) before they even will CONSIDER joining the class at all.

If that is the way they come to the negociating table then they will find nobody on the other side and are welcomed to continue faltering with their SMOD alternatives. Because lets get one thing perfectly clear the F16 class succeeded where boats like the FX-one, inter 17 , F17, iCat, M18, Javelin, Energy, Evolution, Dynacat, Esse and what not else have failed.

From my perspective, the big builders have interesting opportunities to offer but they also need to understand that the position from which the F16 class negociates is on more then an equal basis. Our position is such that we can make demands too and hold the line when need be.

So, maybe we should turn things around. Maybe the big boat builders need to proof first that they can even build a fully rigged 125 kg 2-up competitive F16 before we the F16 class take their proposals seriously. While we are at it, maybe the big builders (Nacra, Hobie, BCM, Mattia, Marstrom, etc) need to get together first and work out a proposal that guarantees full F16 participation with the discontinuitation of the their (directly) competing products (see models above).

Only at that time will a situation arise where there is ample reason to negociate and look seriously at maybe modifying one or two F16 rules.

Obviously, oneother thing to note is that the F16 class can NEVER modify a given class rule when that favours only one particular design. So as long as the Viper is the only "heavy" F16, they can campaign whatever they want and never achieve their result. That is basic politics. The threat of introducing favoritism and the damage to the image of impartiallity is simply greater then what can be lost by not making the modification. So anybody still favouring such modification better work very hard at getting some other F16 compliant designs out and make a basket of designs that favour the modification. Only when that has been achieved will there be a sufficient political basis to go to the current builders and class members and discuss the merits of modifying the F16 class.

So, in short I'm anxious to see the big boys work out and present a concrete unified proposal to us. If they don't then there is absolutely no reason to take them seriously.

A time for Macca to show what he is really worth.

Wouter

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/14/10 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dazz

There are ways to make it look better though, like ramming it into a bus... grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/15/10 10:36 PM

I would think Hobie and Nacra not interested in building/selling an F16 because it might compete directly against their already popular F18 products and 17 foot products, even though the 17's have not caught on as they might have hoped, but I think that's only because there was no real "F17" box rule where you could have a Nacra F17 racing straight up against a Hobie FX1.

I think if Hobie had come up with something like the Nacra 20, back in 1998, there would have developed a real F20 class as well. But then the F18 class would have not caught on as quickly over here in the US.

Too few customers, too many different classes.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/15/10 10:45 PM

smile The larger builders may well be satisfied with the status quo: all us misfits are over in the F16 basket and not making trouble for them!

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/16/10 05:51 PM

Actually, I would think its time for this class to show us all what its worth:-

The NSR is on this coming weekend, there would have to be a fleet of boats all within 3 hours drive, yet its seems impossible to get you lot off your butts to the event!

Bundy has tried asking nicely and then the discussion degenerated in a waffle about how much the ferry costs and fuel prices, For kiss's sake, you can't create a class on the internet alone! You have to get out there and make it happen. Hypothesizing about the most cost effective way to travel is not getting you there..

So, prove me wrong! Make a class at the NSR and then we will all beg to join your wonderful club.. (oh, I am a member already..)

(Bundy: I am trying the reverse psychology option, maybe that works!)
Posted By: Jalani

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/16/10 06:58 PM

From a sailor of your calibre, I'd have to say that is an extremely disappointing post. In fact it is barely worthy of a response.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of us don't get paid to go sailing.............

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/16/10 07:21 PM

The class is coming along nicely. I was surprised to see how many class members enroll in coaching camps and how seriously they take it. The degree with which they have embraced certification is surprising as well. I, wrongly, assumed it would be a tough sell.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/16/10 07:45 PM

Actually, I would think its time for this class to show us all what its worth:-

The NSR is on this coming weekend, there would have to be a fleet of boats all within 3 hours drive, yet its seems impossible to get you lot off your butts to the event!

Bundy has tried asking nicely and then the discussion degenerated in a waffle about how much the ferry costs and fuel prices, For kiss's sake, you can't create a class on the internet alone! You have to get out there and make it happen. Hypothesizing about the most cost effective way to travel is not getting you there..

So, prove me wrong! Make a class at the NSR and then we will all beg to join your wonderful club.. (oh, I am a member already..)

(Bundy: I am trying the reverse psychology option, maybe that works!)

For someone who continually whines and pontificates about the class and its structure, and has been a member for about 4 years, have we ever seen you at a F16 competition or class meeting or for that matter, be seen actually sailing a F16 ?

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/16/10 07:53 PM

Yep, Singapore Catamaran Champs, 2009.

Sailed a Viper.

There are photos and witnesses to prove it. Now if I can attend an event in Singapore, how hard is it for you guys to get to NED??

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/16/10 07:58 PM

Yep, Singapore Catamaran Champs, 2009.

Sailed a Viper.

Gosh my humble apologies.

Bet you a beer you didn't register the boat as a F16 but took the higher 104 and I would wager a two beers that you didn't pay for the air ticket and entry fee out of your own pocket.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/16/10 08:31 PM

**** about the pro's not caring about regatta costs. We have all spent many more thousands than we care to add up over the years...

and I have no idea what the rating was, but there was a number of F16's and I suspect they were on the F16 rating.

So, by my count, thats 3 beers you owe me!

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/16/10 08:44 PM

So how did you do?

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/16/10 08:47 PM

missed the first day because of a scheduling issue, but I think we won all the races on the second day (James won the race to the start area an his A cat though)

Anyhow, back to the topic: how about a fleet for the NSR?
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/16/10 09:46 PM

<**** about the pro's not caring about regatta costs. We have all spent many more thousands than we care to add up over the years...

and I have no idea what the rating was, but there was a number of F16's and I suspect they were on the F16 rating.

Yeah but...have you actually written a $16,000 personal check for your Viper yet? Or paid for the Nacra F20, or for the Infusion?
Posted By: taipanfc

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/17/10 02:17 AM

Results are here!!! http://www.csc.org.sg/documents/result/feb09/NatCat09.xls

And Macca did race off 102.

Now if I sailed my moth instead of the A, well Macca would have been toast! Wouldn't have stood a chance, haha. But I digress, but that is standard behaviour for internet forums...

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/17/10 09:49 AM

<**** about the pro's not caring about regatta costs. We have all spent many more thousands than we care to add up over the years...

Andrew I would gladly buy you 3 beers as it would be interesting too meet you in person.

My point is that you pontificate and posture about the F16 class as though you are the most active of all the sailors in the class. Reality is you have sailed one comp of just a few days on a borrowed boat

For many who have bought into the class, we like it as it is, like the organic growth in numbers and like the way it is building fleets where others are failing. Even if major manufacturers do get involved, things in this economic environment are going to happen only slowly.

My predictions is that the class will grow quickly now as there are now second hand boats appearing in the market as owners upgrade and a new generation of boat appearing which can sail to the rated handicap in the right hands.

The last thing we need right now is professional jockeys castising us for non appearance at comps that can be sometimes 1000's of miles away. Sorry but that just isn't going to happen.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/17/10 01:44 PM

Hey Andrew,

Come to us! I'm the fleet captain for the cats at Datchet (that's near London, UK) and I've been looking for someone to do some coaching for our cat spi fleet (F16 and FX-one mostly, with some oddballs like a Shadow, an Inter 20 or a H5.9). The idea would be over a week-end, with one day on boat handling and the other on race training.

I'm sure you can teach us a lot, and that would give you the occasion to meet most of the active F16 UK fleet as I'm sure Mark, Paul and John(s) and even Simon would probably make the trip to participate.

Not to mention that Wayne would be able to buy you his 3 beers: we have two bars in the club house, both with beer on tap smile

Drop me an email if interested, we'll discuss. I'm can be reached at catfleet@dwsc.co.uk

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/17/10 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by pepin

Not to mention that Wayne would be able to buy you his 3 beers: we have two bars in the club house, both with beer on tap smile

Actually I think it maybe less than 3 beers, I think the "missed the first day because of a scheduling issue" may perhaps indicate the trip to Singapore was not specifically to race F16's.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/17/10 07:44 PM

Still 3 beers Wayne... I was in Thailand for another event and it overlapped dates, but i flew straight to Singapore after and went straight from the airport to the club and was sailing within 1.5 hours of landing..

As for a coaching clinic: I would be more than happy to, but maybe its better for Bundy to come smile he can sell you some heavy F16 thingy..

If not, I will check the schedule and see whats posssible, maybe later in the season is ok for me.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/17/10 10:07 PM

Still 3 beers Wayne...

Only too happy to buy the beers.

If ever there was a club in the UK to sell a few Vipers into, it would be Datchet but I think he would need to leave a Viper behind for a month or two just for us to make sure its OK of course. smile smile smile

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/18/10 02:24 AM

So, how much is that doggy in the window?

Anybody know what it costs to have a boat designed? I'm sure Hobie and Nacra have to pay something to Melvin/Morrelli for every Wave or Infusion sold, but what did it cost initially
Mental masturbation, nothing more.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/18/10 10:00 AM

The last time I checked the F18's were still 2000-3000 more expensive then a F16 (and that includes the Vipers)

I guess the relationship between costs and weight is not as strong as many think it is.

Wouter

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/18/10 10:52 AM

Wouter. Do you really think the cost of building an F16 is that much less than the cost of building an F18??

If so please let me know how you come to this conclusion???

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/18/10 11:46 AM

Brett,

A person doesn't really have to know Newtons law of gravity in order to understand by simple observation that things fall downward instead of upwards.

I refer to my annual price comparison posts for details that support my statements.

All the rest is just smoke and mirrors.

Wouter

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/18/10 11:58 AM

There have been and are small manufactures that will build an F18 for much cheaper than the volume builders. They will not have the same sort of warranty or research and development but they could put you on the water for less anyway.

Your point is Wouter?

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/18/10 12:05 PM

I believe this is the statement Wouter is trying to rebut.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/18/10 12:18 PM

Wouter... my question was on the cost of building... not the retail price.

I wasn't trying to start a poop slinging match, i just want to see if you are basing your argument on anything more than retail price... it seems your not.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/18/10 02:46 PM

Brett, you are asking for a reasonable response..... holding your breath while waiting will be harmful to your health smile

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/18/10 02:57 PM

Andrew, you are the one who is unreasonable.
Posted By: Smiths_Cat

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/18/10 04:30 PM

Wouter. Do you really think the cost of building an F16 is that much less than the cost of building an F18??

If so please let me know how you come to this conclusion???

Well, normally I would not enter such threat, but it looks like a reasonable debate...

Brett,

200kg of polyester and glass is more expensive than 100kg, a 10m alu mast section is more expensive than a 8m mast, alu tubes of 150mm diameter are more expensive than 80mm dia., 20sqm of sail is more expensive than 15sqm and a 10:1 main sheet is more expensive than a 7:1. Shorter lines, smaller blocks, shackles, boards, rudders, and so on. 100kg of glass and resin is faster fabricated than 200kg...
I do not see any reason, why there should not be a difference.

Of course a professional sailor and a high gloss brochure costs always the same.

As a costumer I would like to profit from the reduced costs of a smaller and lighter boat of course, so at the end of the day it is retail price what counts.

Cheers,

Klaus

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/18/10 04:54 PM

Klaus, have you been able to follow Andrew's logic that a heavier minimum weight would make for a better class? It escapes me completely.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/18/10 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
Klaus, have you been able to follow Andrew's logic that a heavier minimum weight would make for a better class? It escapes me completely.
Macca is abrasive, but his premise are that by making the minimum weight heavier we will:

* make the class more attractive to more builders who can achieve this weight for a lower cost
* Lower the cost of the boats
* prevent a lone rogue building a very expensive on-shot light boat all in carbon to th eminimum specs but very rigid and kill us all around the buoys.

Klaus, what you are missing is *volume*. The more you sell the cheaper it get. If a manufacturer sells more F18 than F16 and have specific parts for both the F16 will cost more to manufacture.
Posted By: Smiths_Cat

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/18/10 05:58 PM

Certainly if Hobie or Nacra would join, more pro sailor will join. So I understand his logic. However the class would be different.

Of course you have to invest in a mould, but the larger part is manual labour. At least for beach cats. You need no different tooling for different boats. Assume you pay 5000$ for a mould (an uneducated guess from my side), after 10 F16 boats it is just 500$, after 100 F18s it is 50$. So the difference between F18 and F16 would be 450$ per boat. Of course if you have very high overhead costs (i.e. not directly related to the production), volume makes a difference. But then why should I have mercy with a manufacturer who has his cost not under control.
And before somebody misunderstands me, I do not point against a certain manufacturer. I do just not understand the logic that lighter boats should be more expensive than heavier one.

Cheers,

Klaus
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/18/10 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by pgp

Pete: Where you being rhetorical or do you really wish to invite that which has been beaten to death.

[Linked Image]

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/18/10 06:49 PM

Kris: I'm trying to figure out how to deal with this guy.

Pepin: His saying it doesn't make it so. I, for one, am simply not interested in owning a heavier boat.

Wouter has refuted his arguments, eloquently and repeatedly, yet he just doesn't get it.

What he seems to be saying is: I don't like the F16, so if those of you who own one will sail a different kind of boat, I (Andrew) would be much happier.

Does anyone know if he has a learning disability? That would explain a great deal.

Clearly, a village somewhere is missing its idiot.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/18/10 07:58 PM

Brett,

Wouter... my question was on the cost of building... not the retail price.

I wasn't trying to start a poop slinging match, i just want to see if you are basing your argument on anything more than retail price... it seems your not.

We have been living under the prediction of the sky falling down for about 8 years now and the bloody blue thing is still up there.

I'm just arguing that we shouldn't try to find solutions to problems that simply don't exist.

And yes, I am basing my arguments on more then just retail prices however there is simply no need to go into details here. Retail prices are a good indicator as no builder inside a formula class sells his boats below cost price (invite bankrupcy) and neither does he willingly price himself out of the market by overcharging.

I do regret your tendency to not value other peoples statements and knowlegde properly.

Your statement was most definately aimed at achieving a desired outcome; one that most of us here are sick of hearing by now, so please don't insult us by pretending that it wasn't.

With kind regards,

Wouter

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/18/10 08:16 PM

On what does Andrew base his demand for this change? Andrew since you have a degree in marketing can you cite the studies indicating the market for this new non-F16 class so many builders are waiting to jump into?

With the number of very skilled tinkerers and hobbiests on the planet, surely one of them would have built your lightening fast, stiff beyond belief, all unobtanium rocket just as a proof of concept.

I think it far more likely that the F16 market is well met by the builders and models currently available.

I know! Your extra heavy non-F16 would be the perfect replacement for all those f17s currently being sold.

Re: Andrew MacPherson Interview - 05/19/10 10:49 AM

[Linked Image]

Take that and that and that you naughty boys
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums