Catsailor.com

Australian F16 Nationals 2011

Posted By: Pimh

Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 06/30/10 01:22 PM

Yet to be officially confirmed, but the next Formula 16 nationals is likely to be held at Gosford Sailing Club NSW. The dates will be 21,22,23 and 24 of January. The plan is to have a combined nationals regatta held with the Australian F18 association. This will be a great opportunity that will help to strengthen both classes for the future.

The First day of the regatta will be a marathon. Back to back Championship racing is planned for the next 3 days.

Expect to see a notice of race and entry form out by the end of July.

Pim
Posted By: Stewart

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/01/10 08:16 AM

should be a good event..
Posted By: HJS

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/01/10 08:36 AM

It would be great to have all these sailors in one regatta BUT it does restrict people who wish to sail in both the F18 and the F16..... Just a thought!!
Posted By: Aido

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/01/10 09:04 AM

That was a consideration HJS. I can only think of 1 person.

One advantage of this decision however is to give F16 sailors that live vast distances from Gosford the opportunity to travel with the F18s that will make the trip.

Its not quite set in concrete yet tho, so if you've got a better solution lets hear it.
Posted By: Matt_Stone

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/01/10 09:16 AM

just a question, are mossie with spin allow to be in this event? if we are i would like to go
Posted By: Aido

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/01/10 09:22 AM

Of course! All the mossies with kites are welcome.
Posted By: HJS

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/01/10 09:39 AM

1 sailor this year.... but I do not think this is going to be the norm for the future.

The F18 is a bit of a "blokes" boat, and I think eventually there will be many sailors that elect to sail the F18 with another "Bloke" and then happily pair up with a lighter crew like their wife, girlfriend, son or daughter to sail the F16....

Maybe this is not really an issue for 2011... But I think it is an issue worth thinking about for the future.

Gosford is a wonderful site, and there are a lot of positives with working with the F18's for the year, but I would not like to see it becoming the pattern in the future.
Posted By: phill

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/01/10 09:57 AM

HJS- what boat do you sail?

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/01/10 10:50 AM

point taken..
However traditionally almost all titles were/are held over the Christmas/new year period. So if both F18 & F16s are held at the same time then its a moot point anyway.
Posted By: ClaytonF16

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/01/10 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by HJS
1 sailor this year.... but I do not think this is going to be the norm for the future.

The F18 is a bit of a "blokes" boat, and I think eventually there will be many sailors that elect to sail the F18 with another "Bloke" and then happily pair up with a lighter crew like their wife, girlfriend, son or daughter to sail the F16....

Maybe this is not really an issue for 2011... But I think it is an issue worth thinking about for the future.

Gosford is a wonderful site, and there are a lot of positives with working with the F18's for the year, but I would not like to see it becoming the pattern in the future.

So Helen Jane Sharrock - are you likely to be one of these sailors.

Sail with Greg or Sail with Brett - could be a tough call

http://www.sharrock.net.au/OpenSol/OSFamilyTr.nsf/(WebLUContent)/Tree+Climber?OpenDocument&NKey=ELIST&OSSes=2010|7|1|20|20&OSNav=Sec:1;Cat:Family;Sub:Family Tree;Lk:ln;
Posted By: Gilo

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/01/10 11:11 AM

Organising together with other classes have cons (people have to choose) and pros (shared costs (for the event organiser and for travel in some cases)).

But even if people could do 2 different events, how many have 2 boats are access to them? How many have enough holidays? And how many would make a trip twice...?

Gill
Posted By: TonyJ

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/01/10 11:05 PM

Gosford is a professional club and always put on a good regatta.

It's a good water way and can accommodate both fleets.

The rigging area will be tight for two fleets. I assume the F16 will take the North side of the club house and launch from their as well.

An abundance of accommodation, although it is a holiday destination and booking early would be advisable.

Sounds like a good excuse to finally finish my boat.

Tony
Posted By: Psyhco thriller

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/03/10 09:12 AM

Well it is confirmned that Gosford is the 2011 nationals, this is a great spot to sail flat waters and yes can blow but chop is always small. This is a great part of the East coast lived there for 15 years and great surf beaches so bring your surf boards
Posted By: MitchB

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/05/10 11:58 PM

Matt - Over in the mozzy thread you guys are talking about having cut all ties with the F16 class! Wasn't this to protect your Yardstick? You may want to talk to Gary before attending :P
Posted By: simonp

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/06/10 01:54 AM

Hey mitch. Doesn't matter what Gary says. Mossies, taipans and cobras are all welcome. This is going to be an awesome event. Can't wait. (maybe you could slip the stingracorn into the f18 line up and stir them up)
Posted By: Simon C

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/06/10 03:08 AM

Hi Mitch,

Originally Posted by MitchB
Matt - Over in the mozzy thread you guys are talking about having cut all ties with the F16 class! Wasn't this to protect your Yardstick? You may want to talk to Gary before attending :P

Responding to this over on the Mozzy thread..

Cheers
Posted By: NixonJr

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/07/10 08:01 AM

GO COBRAS smile
Also i ask that the F16 Association send out a flyer of the nationals this year to the class's - cobras, taipans, mossies ect ect - speaking from the cobras we had no idea that there was a F16 nationals for 2010 as alot dont surf on catamaran websites.

Thanks smile

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/07/10 11:25 PM

That would be a bit of fun Simon! As long as they don't make me carry 50kg worth of corrector weights!

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/08/10 09:11 AM

MitchB the Mozzie sails without additional corrector weights. Apart from corrector weights as required by the Mozzie rules to make a boat up to class weight.
Im not sure the Cobra is a foundation class but could well fit inside F16 rules. If it does then you need a boat that conforms to the Cobra rules.
Posted By: Tim_Mozzie

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/09/10 06:15 AM

Mitch is talking about a Stingray in the F18 fleet - not a Cobra! Hence the 50kgs....

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/09/10 08:05 AM

Tim, my bad. I forgot the Cobra was a B2..
The question if the F18s would like being shown up by a 40 yr old design. The class manufacturers would have kittens....
Posted By: NixonJr

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/09/10 02:37 PM

If the mossie can be part of the F16 then the cobra should be aswell as they are almost identical - except the fuller hulls, weight and the swinging centerboards smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/10/10 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by MitchB

What a suprise to find myself mentioned in this thread confused Don't know if I should feel privelleged or otherwise. wink

Gee Mitch why would you think anybody would need to talk to me before attending? I am not a committee person or anything in either class and am allways hoping that people just go sailing as often as they want and enjoy themselves.

As for cutting all ties, the ties are history they have happened and can not be changed and I for one would not have done anything differently
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/10/10 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by simonp
Hey mitch. Doesn't matter what Gary says. Mossies, taipans and cobras are all welcome. This is going to be an awesome event. Can't wait. (maybe you could slip the stingracorn into the f18 line up and stir them up)

Hi Simon,

hope all is well with you. As I said in my reply to Mitch, have no idea why he would think Matt should talk to me before entering. I would be nothing but positive about anybody attending F16 Nationals, haven't ruled it out myself yet.

Only downside for me is travelling North of Sydney (going through Sydney adds so much time and hassle to the trip),and if I can afford the time and finances (after sailing Mossie Nats earlier in the same month).

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/12/10 01:45 AM

Gary - you may not be on any committees (currently!) but you seem to be a well respected sailor in the mozzy fleet (and formerly F16 fleet!).. perhaps you have more influence than you think! Take it as more of a compliment!

Mitch
Posted By: Brian P

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/19/10 01:39 PM

MITCH, PLAY NICE!!!!!! as an ex-mossie sailor these are all great guys!!!
hahahahahaha
see you guys on the water!!!!!

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/30/10 03:22 PM

Completely agree with you Brian!
Posted By: pgp

Re: Australian F16 Nationals 2011 - 07/30/10 03:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBj6PonX14A
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums