Catsailor.com

2012 Nationals

Posted By: pgp

2012 Nationals - 08/19/10 06:21 PM

Back in April, I asked Eric Witte to inquire of Roton Point regarding any interest in hosting our 2012 nationals. Eric informed me, at Racine, that there is a positive interest so it becomes incumbent upon us to make a decision and timely response.

Roton Point has a rich history in the catamaran world, having hosted the "Little America's Cup" among other events. Their annual fall regatta has an enviable reputation and last year, I believe, was the 50th anniversary of that regatta.

Their location, in New England and close proximity to New York City, offers additional incentive for a vacation in conjunction with a regatta. Two birds with one stone if you will.

At any rate, the class officers and I are asking for your input regarding this venue. I would hope a decision can be made soon.

Your comments and opinions are solicited here. Hopefully, some of you with direct knowledge will offer us your experiences.

Personally, I vote that we accept.

http://www.rotonpoint.org/sailing/
Posted By: Reiss

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/19/10 06:43 PM

St. Andrews Bay Yacht Club in Panama City, Florida is also a possible venue. It seems that a large number of the F16 class members are located in the southeast so this might be a good alternative. If there is an interest in this, I would be happy to pursue as I am the Rear Cmdre of the club. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/19/10 06:44 PM

Pete sums it up well. Fantastic location with great sailing history. WRSC F16 members will probably be there in force for 2012 regardless.

Good opportunity to showcase the class in New England. There will likely be other beachcat classes competing with separate start(s). I believe it will be the 3rd or 4th weekend in September?

If you are not a USF16 member and wish to join to have a vote or support our class, please PM for details.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/19/10 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Reiss
St. Andrews Bay Yacht Club in Panama City, Florida is also a possible venue. It seems that a large number of the F16 class members are located in the southeast so this might be a good alternative. If there is an interest in this, I would be happy to pursue as I am the Rear Cmdre of the club. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Chris,

Thanks for the offer. STABYC is definetly on the radar as a great venue. You are right and have identified the single drawback to Roton Point relative to the existing F16 fleets in the US. However, it is also an opportunity for the F16 racers to promote the class in a developing region that has an active dealer.

As a class, we will be obligied to support the Great Lakes region in the future via a Nationals. Of course, they are probably wiped right now and it may be the last thing on their mind.

Perhaps we can map out 2012 and 2013 (2014?) through this discussion? I personally think it would be fair to alternate between Northern & Southern venues so that fleets/racers are not having to travel great distances successive years. Any in between venues would count as an off year.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/19/10 07:30 PM

We also have a USF16 member that is not on CatSailor but in the Baltic Sea and wishes to share the following:

I think whatever criteria is used to select a site the current economic times should be considered. I also believe people should have reality in knowing this is still a developing class.

With that said I would vote to have an event near the most owners, or a location where a sales trend shows a large growing fleet. I would base my final rationale on conditions. No one wants to drive and spend money and not compete because of weather.

I am not online with cat sailor so I could not post my "opinion". Please feel free to post this to the forum.

Very best regards,

Matthew Lynch
Currently in the Baltic Sea

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/19/10 08:03 PM

Kris, CRAW was able to post a google map with all the sailor locations. Do you know how to do that? I've no clue.
Posted By: TEH

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/19/10 09:50 PM

Pete, Mark Thomson did that map for CRAW. Let me know if you do not have his e-mail.

Have we ever done a F16 census? Surely Matt, Robbie should know who all has purchased boats the last 4-5 years.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/19/10 09:54 PM

Got it! I think Kris has an up to date census.

Thanks!
Posted By: mikeborden

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/20/10 01:01 PM

I've been thinking about this...

And it's been said before, I think we need to alternate locations, if not from North to South, at least East to West if possible. Well, I mean that within reason, cause we know that there aren't a whole lot of F16's out west. The majority being east of the Mississippi and the greatest concentration being in the Southeast. Roton Point would make the regatta being in the Northeast region two years in a row. In my opinion, I think it either needs to be in the southern area at least, and the best option would be the Western part, east of the Mississippi. Basically, a CRAW/Racine venue. Of course, they would have to submit the bid.

Those are just thoughts, and I also think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to map out the next couple/few years of Nationals.

With all of that being said, the majority vote will rule on this one, and I won't be upset with a majority vote! smile

Posted By: Matt M

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/20/10 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by mikeborden
I've been thinking about this...

And it's been said before, I think we need to alternate locations, if not from North to South, at least East to West if possible. Well, I mean that within reason, cause we know that there aren't a whole lot of F16's out west. The majority being east of the Mississippi and the greatest concentration being in the Southeast. Roton Point would make the regatta being in the Northeast region two years in a row. In my opinion, I think it either needs to be in the southern area at least, and the best option would be the Western part, east of the Mississippi. Basically, a CRAW/Racine venue. Of course, they would have to submit the bid.

Those are just thoughts, and I also think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to map out the next couple/few years of Nationals.

With all of that being said, the majority vote will rule on this one, and I won't be upset with a majority vote! smile

Spreading it around to minimize the travel is good.

No cat class in the US really has the volume to provide for adequate exposure for the sport as a whole. Putting on a regatta is a lot of work and expensive. Having the mass to be able to justify REAL media coverage so we can reach out beyond the cult following we have is an even more daunting task. Racine was a catamaran championship regatta long before it was going to be also the F18 NA. Unfortunately there were some rather detrimental politics brought up after a proposal was made to combine more than 1 championship and GYC stepped up to the plate for us. I believe that Roton is also already a multi event and combing a championship to it can only be a good thing for both the event and the class. This from my view would be a reason to look toward a club like Roton supporting cat sailing in general.

There are enough issues with promoting the sport we obviously love and fragmenting our already small group does not seem to be the answer. Look at Hobie. They were to do a big combined National but eventually split off into a bunch of separate groups. Now you have 20’s, 18’s 17’s etc all with barely enough participation to call it much more than a friendly gathering, and these events will and have been happening around the country with absolutely no coverage. How is that helping the sport? Yes you may lose a couple of boats from the few who wish to race several classes, but there are a lot less total volunteers required, and the possibilities for combined efforts to showcase the sport far outweigh that as far as I can tell.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/20/10 02:02 PM

Matt, I'm not quite following you.

If I'm understanding all the parties involved, an increased F16 presence at Roton Point is a given. I, for one, will be traveling there as a NE vacation destination. So to will the WRSC folks, I believe.

The specific purpose of this thread is to determine a site for the 2012 nationals, but let's not forget the bigger picture! We should be trying to establish relationships with several clubs around the country. Who knows, a very nice F16 circuit could evolve.

Let's not limit this effort to establishing one event for one specific year.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/20/10 02:07 PM

Just my two cents, but anywhere I gotta go, I've got to drive a long ways. So really it doesn't matter to me. Our pockets of F16's are Florida, and Maryland, with a small group forming with good potential in Wisconsin. So really anywhere in between is about as good a location as any.

I haven't talked to the CRAW folks yet, but I have some interest in possibly putting together something for a nationals at some point. My first choice is actually on the MN WI border on the Mississippi river, but thats where my resources are pooled.

Another thing is that we have people chomping at the bit to host, and that is a very good indication!

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/20/10 04:45 PM

I concur on the improved media, marketing, and administration through the economy of scale that would be achieved by hosting multiple "Nationals" at the same venue. I've always liked the idea of the "Formula Beachcat Nationals", a long term goal!

But I am skeptical. There is a lot of cross-over with the As, F18s, and F16s.
Posted By: TEH

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/21/10 01:09 PM

After the politics were addressed, the "Racine" concept worked really well and some day a formula nationals would be great. Shared resources, lots of boats, some good (for sailing) media coverage.

I do think you run the risk of cross-over and the largest class will likely pull the sailors to it.

Until then, I like the idea of spreading it around. I was pretty happy when I saw that WRSC was only a 14 hour drive.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/21/10 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by TEH
I do think you run the risk of cross-over and the largest class will likely pull the sailors to it.

That is the downside to such an event. Granted there really isn't that many people who have to make a choice, but it'd be nice to not have to make that choice. Racine there was maybe 4 teams/boats that do both classes.
Mostly I say this out of pure selfish-ness as I want to do both the F16 & F18 Nationals next year.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/21/10 03:05 PM

It is worth noting that Racine Yacht Club has a huge public beach next door. Many locations can't handle a combined event. There just isn't enough room.
Posted By: PTP

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/21/10 05:15 PM

Fort Walton Yacht Club can
Posted By: Reiss

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/22/10 09:58 PM

Yikes! Karl was right. No matter which of the venues being discussed is chosen for the F16 Nationals, Karl will be driving a LONG way! God bless him, and all those hearty sailors who log such long hours on the road to be a part of the sailing community. Since 2011 Nationals will be in Annapolis, and so far on this thread both Rowayton, CT and Panama City, FL have been floated as possible hosts for the 2012 F16 Nationals, I put together a chart showing the driving times between those locations and many of the locations where I am aware there are some active F16 class members. (I realize this doesn’t cover all class member locations, and may not even cover most of them -- these locations are just the ones that I happen to know about.... I also didn’t list distances separately for any location that was within a few hours drive of either Rowayton or Panama City.)
DRIVING TIME BTW Annapolis, MD Panama City, FL Rowayton, CT
Annapolis, MD 0hrs 16hrs 4.5hrs
Atlanta, GA 11 hours 5hrs 15hrs
Clearwater, FL 15.5hrs 6.5hrs 19.5hrs
Lake Hartwell, GA 9.5hrs 7hrs 13.75hrs
Memphis, TN 14.5hrs 8.75hrs 18.25hrs
Merritt Island, FL 14.25hrs 7hrs 18hrs
Miami, FL 17.25hrs 9.75hrs 21.25hrs
Minneapolis, MN 18.25hrs 21.75hrs 20hrs
Panama City, FL 16hrs 0hrs 20.25hrs
Rowayton, CT 4.5hrs 20.25hrs 0hrs

I did confirm with the board of the St. Andrews Bay Yacht Club that the club would be happy to host the 2012 F16 Nationals should the F16 Class decide that it would alternate geographic locations and have the event in the south in 2012. Indeed, when asked, the board voted enthusiastically and unanimously in favor of offering our club as a possible site. If you are unfamiliar with Panama City, we are located on the Florida panhandle approximately 2.5 hours east of Pensacola and 1.5 east of Fort Walton Beach. The St. Andrews Bay Yacht Club (www.stabyc) is located on the large, protected waters of St. Andrews Bay. We have a full club house with separate full service dining room, bar and locker room facilities. We have a swimming pool and a separate sailing loft and sail yard. We have plenty of room in our sail yard and on a large grass lawn for launching a large number of boats. In the past, we have also made room in the sail yard for campers attending a regatta.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/23/10 01:17 AM

I do have one request if the event is held south, and that is hold it at a point when those of us in the less fortunate climates are about to put the boats away. late October/early November. Or minus that some things get rusty, it'd be nice to have it in the early spring like March. It's kinda nice getting the heck outta here that time of year.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/23/10 03:19 PM

OK, here's a question for the group at large:

At a "Nationals" (ie. the biggest "title" event you will race in the entire year, costing you thousands of dollars and a week or more off work) do you want to share the race course with several other fleets, and wait for them to all finish before you can start your next race, or would you rather only have to duck and dodge and wait on boats you are actually racing against?

I'm happy to share the course at just about every regatta, the way we always have, but at the 'one big event' of the year, I don't think having our own separate course is too much to ask.
Posted By: tback

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/23/10 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo
OK, here's a question for the group at large:

At a "Nationals" (ie. the biggest "title" event you will race in the entire year, costing you thousands of dollars and a week or more off work) do you want to share the race course with several other fleets, and wait for them to all finish before you can start your next race, or would you rather only have to duck and dodge and wait on boats you are actually racing against?

I'm happy to share the course at just about every regatta, the way we always have, but at the 'one big event' of the year, I don't think having our own separate course is too much to ask.

Who says we have to wait for all the other boats to finish? Only our F16 fleet. We can have independent starts after the initial rolling start. This works pretty well at Spring Fever (they finish at the top of the course and once all the F16 finish and head down to the bottom for the start they sound the 5 minute gun).

I'm not opposed to sharing the course. Logistically it's easier for the hosting club.

I say, Just Sail! Hit the beach afterwards and pop a brew with everyone that participated.

my 0.02.
tback
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/23/10 03:32 PM

Take a look at how the Hobie class assn bundles NA's on a circle. They have lots of wisdom on how to do this properly.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/23/10 03:45 PM

At Racine there were two courses, well separated. F18s were by themselves for the main event. The rest of us shared a course. No problems.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/23/10 04:02 PM

Pete, do you know if the Pt. Roton club would be willing to do that for our 2012 NA's?

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/23/10 04:20 PM

I think that's premature. We need to see how many of our folks are in favor of that venue.

My guess would be that with enough boats they would.
Posted By: Matt M

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/23/10 04:24 PM

Timbo,

GYC ran more than 1 type at our event last year and there were no issues to speak of. The new start sequence where you can go as soon as your fleet is ready works pretty well.

If it is a big concern having an inner or outer course for the fleet having its Premeier event would eliminate the issue of mark roundings being bunged up with boats of other classes, yet still keep the number of race organizers and space to a minumum.

There are not many places we sail where there is not some obstacle. Shallows, weeds, crab pots, moored boats etc. At least other catamarans help pay to make the event better/bigger hopefuly.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/23/10 04:30 PM

So what's your vote (both of you). Roton Point or Panama City?

Karl? (you gotta pick one, no abstentions)

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/23/10 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
Karl? (you gotta pick one, no absentions)

My inclination is for Roton Point in 2012, then Panama City in 2013.

I'm not saying "no" to either than way smile Mostly because I've driven to Florida I think six times in the past 18 months, and I have hardly been on the east coast.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/23/10 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
So what's your vote (both of you). Roton Point or Panama City?

Karl? (you gotta pick one, no abstentions)

I like doing both locations 2012 and 2013. The question which comes first?

I'm not hard pressed as I could go with either ... I suppose since 2011 is already north for a majority of the F16 fleet I would propose:

2012 Panama City
2013 Roton Point

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/23/10 08:33 PM

I wonder what it would cost to ship a boat on the "Auto Train"...? Or if they would even allow it? I guess storing the mast might be a problem.

In keeping with the North-South alternating thing, obviously Panama City should come after MD, then Roton Point, but I'm not driving 20 hours for a regatta so it doesn't really matter to me when you do it in Roton Point.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/23/10 09:47 PM

I'm not driving 20 hours for a regatta so it doesn't really matter to me when you do it in Roton Point.

Pussy.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/23/10 09:51 PM

Hey, I've been called worse, by better...

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 12:06 AM

Get with Matt. He has a trailer of some sort...
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 09:10 AM

I wonder what it would cost to ship a boat on the "Auto Train"...? Or if they would even allow it? I guess storing the mast might be a problem.

In keeping with the North-South alternating thing, obviously Panama City should come after MD, then Roton Point, but I'm not driving 20 hours for a regatta so it doesn't really matter to me when you do it in Roton Point.

What about using a 40 foot container and get it trucked or train?

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 12:31 PM

Takes a lot of boats to make that cost effective.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 12:59 PM

Reading this thread makes me glad I live in a country where you never have to drive more than three hours! grin

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 01:23 PM

I think quite a few people agree with you Tim on the 20 hours for a regatta. They just aren't saying it, but I'm one of them! smile

Even being double stacked with someone and sharing the driving, would very much suck on a 20 hour drive.

DING, I'm a pussy too! smile

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 01:28 PM

I've got some more stuff later, but I just got from a quick trip over the weekend and need to look at some work stuff before surfing!

So, more later on this subject from me.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 02:47 PM

Hey, I'm not saying the drive is something we look forward to but in our case we have several NE teams that make the trek south every year for a 3 day regatta and the very least we can do is make the trip north for North Americans . Although Hyannis is 24 hours away the drive time isn’t even a consideration when it comes to making the decision to attend. For us it's time and money and we have both so we are going to Hyannis. Haven’t your northern buddies made several trips south? For that reason alone the drive time north shouldn’t even be a valid excuse. Hell Pete made the trek to Racine to sleep in a tent! So sack up princesses, the drive will go by quickly and you’ll have a great time.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 03:30 PM

Money is a factor for me also, but that's part of the driving a long way. I think, I need to look again, but the fuel cost alone was going to be about a grand, plus vacation days! smile

Get's expensive quick!

So, for me, anything after a 14 hour drive starts getting me to think twice. The reason why it's 14 hours is because I know I can drive that myself in a day and I already know the cost roughly. After that, it's beginning to cost me more, almost twice as much cause of vacation and stuff like that.

I do return the favors though. I plan on going to Maryland! smile

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 03:36 PM

Ding, nice to see you are so committed to growing our class! I say we nominate Ding for F16 Class President! I know Pete would love to let him do it! I don't know what we would do without your valuable input, nice to hear you F18 guys have plenty of time and money too! You guys should ALL buy F16's too!

I guess if I hadn't wasted 20 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars rasing 4 kids, I'd have plenty of time and money to be driving all over the country to attend regattas. But I don't. So I guess that makes me a candy butt, I'll have to live with it.

Oh, and the ONLY reason I am going to make the long trip up to MD for the 2011 Na's is because all those guys have worked so hard and made the trip down here many times. Oh, that and they have lots of Uni guys for me to play with.

I thought there was an F18 forum around here somewhere...never been there, because I don't have one, and why would I go there to tell them...what?

You board over there Ding? Or are you finally going to Sack Up, stop beating your wife, and buy an F16 to race it, UNI!

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 03:46 PM

Geeze Tim, it was just a little good natured ball busting. Sorry you took it so hard, I'll leave you alone now.
Posted By: PTP

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 03:55 PM

I keep missing meeting this Ding character. Meant to find him at Spring Fever and RTI...
I don't think it is right to always bring up "you don't have an F16 so go away" thing, unless someone is being plain malicious, which Ding appears not to be.

as far as the nats question. Since I live in Mi and boat is in Fl it makes it exceedingly difficult to do anything. I would be willing to do Panama city since it is close to where my boat is in Fl. Money not so much an issue, it is timing and my wife's apparent inability to deal with our kids by herself.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram
Geeze Tim, it was just a little good natured ball busting. Sorry you took it so hard, I'll leave you alone now.

It's hard to tell with you sometimes. I'm all for a good laugh, even at my own expense, but there is not even a fleet of F16's anywhere in New England, not sure if there is but one lone boat up in Conneticut. So why make the entire class drive days or many hours to support...who?

Hey, maybe in 2013 we can do it in Seattle!

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 05:27 PM

there is not even a fleet of F16's anywhere in New England, not sure if there is but one lone boat up in Conneticut. So why make the entire class drive days or many hours to support...who?

I think that's part of this discussion! smile

But anyway,

Here's what I think!

2012 We can schedule it in Panama City(to move it around) and then 2013, do it at Roton Point. By that time, there should be enough of a fleet spread out that there should be a decent showing, ~15 boats. You can't have a blow out Nationals every year. Don't forget, the F18's only had 27 or so at their Nationals only a couple of years ago.

Just make sure the organizing authority(or whom ever it is) aware that it might be a small turnout, ~15 boats.

I do think 2012 would be too soon to have it there though, especially since the Nationals where in Maryland in 2011. smile

The fact of the matter is, some people AREN'T going to travel. Especially, if it costs a lot in fuel, vacation and other stuff.

Ok, so is this discussion done?

If so, I think we need to do a poll!

Posted By: John Williams

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 05:32 PM

Keep in mind that the F16 Class will be the Organizing Authority - what we're talking about are potential Hosts for our events. It helps potential Host clubs a great deal if you can offer them the final budgets from the previous year's event. It should be the Class' responsibility to maintain the regatta documentation; in this way, you aren't starting with new NORs and SIs every year. This also helps develop a clearer picture over time of what sort of racing the Class prefers - courses, duration, judging, social schedule, etc.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 06:10 PM

All good points and it is great to have them on the table. I need another day or so to explore some possibilities. When it comes time to vote, I recommend we do it via the Google e-group. Some USF16 members do/can not follow on CatSailor.

BTW, Ding just wants to race an F16 wink....he's just ribbing you. Of course, we have more banter on the F16 forum and that is why we have lurkers that can't resist.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 06:29 PM

I'd love to see Ding sailing F16 Uni. Let's see if he "Sack's Up!"

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 06:37 PM

Really princess, are you calling me out!? kiss yeah I'd do it. Hell find me one for F16 Nationals and I'll happily drive the 20 hours to partake.

Ball is in your court sunshine!

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 06:43 PM

OK Ding, in 2012, if the NA's are held in Roton Point, you can use My Blade, for the entire regatta, but you MUST race it Uni.

Have a nice trip.

Oh, and get some insurance. You break it, you buy it...

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 06:53 PM

Really princess, are you calling me out!? kiss yeah I'd do it. Hell find me one for F16 Nationals and I'll happily drive the 20 hours to partake.

and the challenge is laid down!!!

Next year would be the year to do it, minus that pesky drive in between Massachusetts & Maryland.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 06:55 PM

Hello, cheek; meet gauntlet.

You'll like the boat, Dave. Besides, Sweetness is likely to wise up sooner or later.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 06:59 PM

You are missing the point Karl.

Ding thinks I'm a PUSSY because I don't want to drive 20(+) Hours, ONE WAY, to get up to Conn. to race in 2012 against who knows how many boats might show up...(there is no local fleet at the moment)

I have no problem driving up to MD to race against my buddies up there, they have made the trip down here many times, I feel I owe them at least that, and some beer.

If Ding, as he said, has the time and money to drive two days on each end of a regatta and wants to Sack Up he can race my Blade, UNI, in Roton Point, in 2012...if I'm still alive then. If I die before 2012, I will leave my Blade to Ding, but not the jib...

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 07:09 PM

Oh, I'm not missing the point, you are being a pussy for not driving 20+ hrs. But then again, you're a fool for doing so.... keeerist! I don't even want to know how many miles I've put under my butt going to and fro from regatta's. I've been to Florida at least four times in the past 18 months, Texas for The Alter Cup (which I didn't even sail), a fistful of local regatta's @ ~3-4hrs, and I'm planning on doing Carlysle (sp) in southern Illinois yet this year @ 10hrs one way.

Yeah, I'm that hardcore.....

BTW- Just so everyones clear, *cough* JW *cough*, I'm just razzing you. smile

If I die before 2012, I will leave my Blade to Ding, but not the jib...

CLASSIC!

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 07:14 PM

Dude, Dude, they have a cure for all that driving, it's called PASSES! Get yo' Daddy's Passes and come fly with me!

;^)

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 07:19 PM

I will leave my Blade to Ding, but not the jib...
ROFLOL laugh. And if Ding wins, you'll have to drive to California to compete in the F18 Worlds?

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 07:21 PM

Dad's gone, besides you ever try getting anywhere on a retired man's pass? Most employee's shoes have a higher seniority then me at the end.

I spent two days trying to get to Seattle once, I ended up going to DFW to get to SEA and eventually on to HNL.

Then again, I also got 1st Class, first try, both ways to Amsterdam on a KLM flight, so it comes out in the wash eventually.

Somebody really needs to figure out the technology it takes to make the transporter system from Star Trek a reality. How f-in' sweet would it be to beam your rig across the country?
Pete- you should be jumping on this, there's your cure for the automotive side of fossil fuel usage
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 07:24 PM

Hi Karl!

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 07:26 PM

Hi Karl!

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 07:28 PM

In all seriousness, I think that making a personal commitment of going to your Class nationals is good sense. For me, it is the one learning opportunity that exceeds all others - you get out of your pond to see what people are doing (rigging, crew techniques, etc.) elsewhere, you get practical experience (even if you're behind someone, they're telegraphing good tips) sailing, starting, rounding and finishing, and you maximize the "investment" you made in your boat purchase. Let's face it; even though cats are still the best deal by far in performance sailing, if you ponied up the cash to buy a boat, you've gone beyond "hobbyist" status. I reckon it takes six or seven nationals'-worth of expenses before you exceed the purchase price of a new boat.. maybe even ten when you start chasing new sails every two years. The point is that you've already made the biggest part of the commitment - now it is about milking it.

Oh, and there's beer.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kris Hathaway
ROFLOL laugh. And if Ding wins, you'll have to drive to California to compete in the F18 Worlds?

Get out of my head Mr. Hathaway.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 07:32 PM

I still like the way I said it better.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 07:44 PM

"I spent two days trying to get to Seattle once, I ended up going to DFW to get to SEA and eventually on to HNL."

One of the big reasons we MOVED TO FLORIDA in 1997 was because we had a nightmare experience trying to get home from visiting my wife's Mother down here in Sebring one year.

It took the 6 of us (4 kids ages 1, 4, 8, 8) two days, on 4 flights, to simply get from Orlando to Boston! We had to FLY from Orlando to Tampa, then on to Cincinnati, then to Atlanta. Get a hotel room at midnight, get up at 5am, return to the airport for the 7am flt. to Boston. I said, "We are NEVER doing that again! We have never flown with all the kids since.

I would actually rather drive than go to the airport, I can listen to MY music and do as I please. I just can't add 2 days on each end of a 1 week regatta for travel, due to my limited time off.

And if I'm going to drive all the way up to Conn, I'm going to keep going the extra 3 hours to my Mom's house in NH and sail it up there against the kids I grew up racing against. It would be great to see them again!

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 07:53 PM

Do I have to drive to Cali? How about Ding drives and I fly...He's the one who loves to drive long distances.

And then he's got to pull strings for ME!

Ohhh, I'm starting to like this!

grin

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 08:17 PM

Do I have to drive to Cali? How about Ding drives and I fly...He's the one who loves to drive long distances.

And then he's got to pull strings for ME!

Ohhh, I'm starting to like this!

grin

What ever your heart desires Princess.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/24/10 10:59 PM

Sorry I missed this, I was out sailing off lovely Sanibel Island...in the rain.

I think boats are named after women 'cause the bitch will try to drown you if you let up for even a second. Many thanks to the anonymous fisherman who gave my "stuff", to the Parks & Rec guy, (who called my wife, scared her to death), and then drove said stuff up to the boat ramp. I really needed my keys, it would have been a bitch walking home. Being short is a pita, if I were taller, my arms would be longer and I would have been able to hang on to the rudder and reach my cooler. I really think you should let the traveler down in anything over fifteen, before you bring in the 'chute. Why do bridges look more menacing when the boat is on it's side? How fast is the wind blowing if the rain hurts your eyes so badly you have to turn your head away? Sanibel is a lovely place to sail, but a little pricey. $9 for the bridge, $2/hour for parking. But they have very helpful fishermen and Parks & Rec. guys. Even if they don't speak English, they laugh a lot.

Now...

My tent has two rooms, I only use one. We should figure an inexpensive way to send a lot of boats up NAWTH. Then you guys could fly in. Probably cheaper than driving and a lot less time.

Ding will do very well Uni, just let the traveler down...
Posted By: gregP19

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/25/10 12:59 AM

there is not even a fleet of F16's anywhere in New England, not sure if there is but one lone boat up in Conneticut. So why make the entire class drive days or many hours to support...who?

I think that's part of this discussion! smile

But anyway,

Here's what I think!

2012 We can schedule it in Panama City(to move it around) and then 2013, do it at Roton Point. By that time, there should be enough of a fleet spread out that there should be a decent showing, ~15 boats. You can't have a blow out Nationals every year. Don't forget, the F18's only had 27 or so at their Nationals only a couple of years ago.

Just make sure the organizing authority(or whom ever it is) aware that it might be a small turnout, ~15 boats.

I do think 2012 would be too soon to have it there though, especially since the Nationals where in Maryland in 2011. smile

The fact of the matter is, some people AREN'T going to travel. Especially, if it costs a lot in fuel, vacation and other stuff.

Roton Point? I'm down for that! With young children, a full time job and a wife who runs a 7 day a week business it's impossible to get away. I can make time for a major regatta that's only a few hours away. I wish I had time to hook up with all you guys for the big regattas down south. It would make me a better sailor. I can appreciate the time, effort and money most of you guys expend to attend these regattas. Light wind must totally piss you off!
Posted By: Matthew Whitehead

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/27/10 04:06 AM

2012 F16 NATIONALS @ ST. ANDREW'S BAY YACHT CLUB IN PANAMA CITY, FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/27/10 01:02 PM

Better sneak it in before December 12. I saw a movie saying the world was gonna end.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/27/10 01:32 PM

Wait...hold it ON Dec. 12! Call it the "End of Days Regatta" ! Of course we would have to get completely trashed and not return to our wives...but I can live with that. "But Honey, the WORLD ENDED, that's why I didn't come home..."

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/27/10 06:54 PM

Actually the world did not end, it flooded which puts us in a very good position during the racing.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/27/10 09:24 PM

Then I'm going to need one of those big Tri's like Kevin Kostner in Water World!

Re: 2012 Nationals - 08/27/10 11:27 PM

Then I'm going to need one of those big Tri's like Kevin Kostner in Water World!

"F" that! Out of all the watercraft in that movie you'd take the dinky little trimaran? Give me the tanker, if the worlds covered in water, who gives a crap if you're moving? It's not like you got anywhere to go. At least with the tanker you'd have some room to move around, go jogging, throw people from the rail....etc
Posted By: Taylor F-18

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/03/10 12:31 AM

Is there still a discussion about the Nationals? If there is I vote for Panama City smile. I would rather not have to drive that far 2 years in a row.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/04/10 03:47 PM

Floor is still open for discussion. I believe that there is a consensus for alternating "North" & "South" years. There is one additional consideration for deliberation that may be introduced next week and then I suspect there will call for motions.

Remember, actual voting will be conducted via the USF16 Google e-mail list.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/07/10 01:36 PM

Floor is still open for discussion. I believe that there is a consensus for alternating "North" & "South" years. There is one additional consideration for deliberation that may be introduced next week and then I suspect there will call for motions.

OK...Here is an additional variable that I wish to add for the members to consider:

Roton Point hosting the 2011 USF16 Nationals during the same dates currently scheduled for WRSC.

Here are my thoughts:
- Roton Point is anxious to host the USF16 Nationals and help promote F16s in New England. By September, 2011, there should be a greater F16 presence in NE and the momentum of having the USF16 Nationals will only add to it! The proposed dates coincide with their annual event. They are rehearsed with supporting multihull events.

- Dovetails well with the F18 Nationals, placing dual teams and manufacturers much closerer to both venues, approx 4 hours driving distance.

- WRSC will host the 2013 USF16 Nationals (North year), maybe even coordinating as part of Annapolis Race Week (Labor Day Weekend) and leverage the real time footage, protest committee (as though we need one), festivities, and swag.

- StABYC members have voiced their desire to host the 2012 USF16 Nationals (South Year).

Essentially, we will have 2011, 2012, & 2013 on the books!!!

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/07/10 01:53 PM

I'm in favor of this change and urge the membership to accept it. We would be able to establish ourselves, as a class, with three excellent venues who are anxious to have us.

It is my suggestion that the matter be left open to discussion for a short time and then placed before the membership for a formal vote. This vote should come soon. We do not want to keep folks waiting on our decision.

Discussion?

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/07/10 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
....with three excellent venues who are anxious to have us.

Are we * THAT * notorious that they would be "anxious" to have us?

Or, perhaps, they would be "eager" to have us?

Bustin' on you pgp.

Tback
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/07/10 02:55 PM

Kris

Have you confirmed that Roton Point will be able to RC three days of racing? This event is usually a two day regatta and always a conflict with Chesapeake regattas.

You mentioned Race Week Saturday... FYI... I would not advise trying to get a start at Annapolis Race Week. They put the big boat circle (Farr 40's, PHRF A0, A1, Benne 36.5, J105 and J35's on the circle. They already have issues with the J105's. I know AYC would not mix cats on the course... (I spoke with Jeff B several years ago... they have a slow burn about the 105's already).

Second problem... they rendezvous in the middle of the bay and then try to set the course well away from the confluence of the West and South River.... It was a 45 minute motor at 6 knots to the race course this weekend. We were almost on the eastern shore this weekend. If you crash... it would be a tow boat USA scene to get back to the river or wait for the end of the day.

Finally, the party is centered in Annapolis... The 45 minute drive into downtown and then trying to park is a real party killer. The Cal 25 NA's were this weekend and I am told they feel they get a bit lost in the process. They used SSA to host their fleet parties.

These facts are reasons we have not tried to get a start in the NOODS in the spring as well. The SSA dinghy classes run their own regatta rather then fit in with the NOODs as well.

Mark

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/07/10 03:12 PM

I see how ur! smirk You gonna do Juana's?

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/07/10 03:23 PM

Eric Witte is coordinating with Roton Point. I am aware that Roton Point's event occurs the same weekend as WRSC's Carl Miller and is "usually" a 2 day regatta. Eric knows the parameters to host the USF16 Nationals.

Thanks for the advice on ARW. I would never consider running on the same course as monos (LOL), even the poor J105 step-children. I envision more of an event within an event. Beachcats would be stationed at Sandy Point, carry their own course, and RC. 2013 is far away and plenty of time see if it is possible, to make friends, and work out the logistics (school bus, landing or hovercraft).

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/07/10 05:06 PM

Hi Kris,

Just wanted you to know that we support what ever the class would like to do. With out a doubt, it is always nice when an event is in your back yard, but it can’t always be that way.

I think one of key things that are necessary to be a success the class is already on….that is to plan ahead! Some of the other things that make a great event are to make sure a regatta is safe and offers a good PRO and organization on the water for quality racing.

We are very much in favor of having big events and in the future it is our hopes to have the 16s and the 18s working more together. There are some cross over sailors for sure but the reality is it makes sense to have big events for everyone from the sailors to the spectators and especially the organizers.

With regards to the manufacturers, we are trying hard to lead the charge to have the different manufacturers for both the F18’s and F16s support the events and the classes.

With regards to Red Gear Racing. We continue to strive to raise the bar for all sailors and we will continue to train all sailors on all boats.

You will see a common theme in what we do….from coaching with Red Gear Racing, to selling the AHPC boats with Fun in the Sun and our dealers, to trying to reach our youth sailors with the subsidized VIPER Club boats, our mission is to grow and improve the sport of sailing! We will make every effort to be at the class events no matter where they are!

I would appreciate it if you can post this for me.

SAIL FASTER...PUSH HARDER!
Best regards,
Jill A. Nickerson
Fun in the Sun Services, Inc.
727-734-0799 www.funinthesunweb.com
Red Gear Racing www.redgearracing.com
Facebook: Red Gear Racing

**** Posted on Jill Nickerson's behalf, Kris Hathaway

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/07/10 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
I see how ur! smirk You gonna do Juana's?

No Juana's this year ... falls on a home UCF football game. I'll see you at Wildcat ... in fact I just joined the club there so I store my boat with mast-up access.

T.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/07/10 06:47 PM

Just as a point of interest it would be good to talk with the F18 officers for future events to do whatever coordination is possible, either to prevent conflicting dates or to even plan for dates that could compliment one another.

Realistically if one event could be on the tail of the other separated by a day and in the same region that would be awesome. Maybe not always possible, but it would be slick being able to take off from one event straight to the other. Then again I'm just being selfish, and I'm trying to save myself a few days of driving.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/07/10 07:22 PM

Already ahead of you on that one. Despite everyone's best efforts, plans can run amuck.

2012 F-18 Worlds (no F18 North Americans) will be in California, so no complimentary F16 Nationals as I see it for 2012. Just need to avoid date conflict.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/08/10 12:21 AM

Yes, avoiding a conflicting date would be paramount for 2012. Given the choice I wouldn't skip Worlds for Nationals.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/08/10 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
Yes, avoiding a conflicting date would be paramount for 2012. Given the choice I wouldn't skip Worlds for Nationals.

Dude, if you're scared just say you're scared :-)

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/08/10 01:59 PM

laugh

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/09/10 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger

Dude, if you're scared just say you're scared :-)

I don't get it.....

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/09/10 12:36 AM

OK...Here is an additional variable that I wish to add for the members to consider:

Roton Point hosting the 2011 USF16 Nationals during the same dates currently scheduled for WRSC.

Here are my thoughts:
- Roton Point is anxious to host the USF16 Nationals and help promote F16s in New England. By September, 2011, there should be a greater F16 presence in NE and the momentum of having the USF16 Nationals will only add to it! The proposed dates coincide with their annual event. They are rehearsed with supporting multihull events.

- Dovetails well with the F18 Nationals, placing dual teams and manufacturers much closerer to both venues, approx 4 hours driving distance.

- WRSC will host the 2013 USF16 Nationals (North year), maybe even coordinating as part of Annapolis Race Week (Labor Day Weekend) and leverage the real time footage, protest committee (as though we need one), festivities, and swag.

- StABYC members have voiced their desire to host the 2012 USF16 Nationals (South Year).

Essentially, we will have 2011, 2012, & 2013 on the books!!!

Sorry Kris, I didn't read this. I am all for this! 4 hrs would be F-ing awesome compared to ~12 hrs and the next day being fueled entirely by Red Bull and methamphetamine, (not a good combo btw, make's ya kinda twitchy).

BTW- Is there supposed to be a mass email sent out to vote back on? I really don't feel like setting up a google account. I need another online ID like I need a 2nd assho1e.

(edit)- nevermind, went back and read the thread on the class forum where you already answered that for me.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 09/24/10 03:11 PM

Just wish to assure the USF16 members that the thread is not dead. We are making sure that one of the proposals is viable before accepting/making motions for a vote. Again, a notice will be posted here but the actual motions and voting will be held via the USF16 Google Group e-mail list.

Re: 2012 Nationals - 10/05/10 06:19 PM

Motion has been made regarding the 2011 Nationals. If you are a USF16 member and did not get an e-mail from USF16Association@googlegroups.com or wish to join the USF16 please contact us at USF16@me.com

Thanks
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums