Catsailor.com

New F16

Posted By: pepin

New F16 - 12/16/10 02:27 PM

Socoabeach (Web site is a little bare at the moment) has the design for a new F16 all ready, production is planned to start next year.

Socoabeach is not a commercial enterprise, it is a non-profit in regard to French law. You have to be a member to gain access to boats, I'm curious to know how it's going to work in practice.

Description: Rear view
Attached picture 002e F16 persp4.jpg
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: New F16 - 12/16/10 02:49 PM

What is the angle of those daggerboards? Looks like they are outside class spec?
Posted By: DanTnz

Re: New F16 - 12/16/10 02:50 PM

Interesting design and concept.

Is that much centreboard cant legal? I thought the boards couldn't go outside max beam (assuming the cat is at max legal beam) when raised. Can't find the exact rule though, but assume it comes under the box rule paragraph.
Posted By: Jalani

Re: New F16 - 12/16/10 04:45 PM

7.5 Overall width of the platform
The overall width of a platform corresponds with the horizontal distance between the verticals passing
through the extremities of the sides of the platform, with the boat being levelled on its waterline and
excluding protruding dagger boards, rudder blades or tiller bars. When wings are being used than the equivalent overall beam is determined by measuring the overall width including only one fully extended
wing.

7.13 Daggerboard and Centreboards
All lift producing elements that have as their dominant purpose to resist sideways movement of the craft
while sailing and of which no part is canted at a greater angle than 6 degrees off the vertical when the boat is level on the waterline.
Posted By: Mike Fahle

Re: New F16 - 12/18/10 06:24 PM

Hi John,

I saw the new design from Germany in another post and wondered if you could take a skeg design like that one and also have highly canted boards to produce vertical lift w/o breaking the rules.
Posted By: Jalani

Re: New F16 - 12/18/10 08:09 PM

Yes you could but max cant would still be 6 degrees off vertical.
The rules state that there will be only 1 dagger/centreboard per hull and also ban horizontal underwater appendages so the skeg in addition to a board should be OK.
Posted By: Catfan

Re: New F16 - 12/20/10 08:53 AM

Where can I find the rules you mentioned?
They are not in the Box rule on the official F16 web site (http://www.formula16.net/content/view/13/36/lang,it/)
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: New F16 - 12/20/10 09:35 AM

You have to look at both the rules and the definitions.

http://www.formula16.net/content/view/13/36/lang,en/
http://www.formula16.net/content/view/17/39/lang,en/
Posted By: sail7seas

Re: New F16 - 12/24/10 08:00 PM

On the subject of innovative design, check out the bows of this Cat.
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/in...p;pid=3103815&st=0&#entry3103815

Attached picture PitchPoleHole2.jpg
Posted By: Brett Goodall

Re: New F16 - 12/26/10 12:14 PM

the holes???anti drag??? I think it has more to do with beach mobility... exactly the same as the same as the handles molded into the transom of this boat.

if you believe the golf ball dimple theory I think you should go back to your first year engineering books. Sorry to sound like an butt but I like to see people innovate not bullsh^*t...

I do love being proven wrong though... it meams i can learn something!!!

Re: New F16 - 12/26/10 12:15 PM

the holes???anti drag??? I think it has more to do with beach mobility... exactly the same as the same as the handles molded into the transom of this boat.

if you believe the golf ball dimple theory I think you should go back to your first year engineering books. Sorry to sound like an butt but I like to see people innovate not bullsh^*t...

I do love being proven wrong though... it meams i can learn something!!!
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: New F16 - 12/27/10 07:37 PM

Makes it lighter

Re: New F16 - 12/28/10 12:25 AM

wink
Posted By: waynemarlow

Re: New F16 - 12/28/10 12:05 PM

Rumour has it that the designed 2.5cm hole for the future spinaker pole guy wire, was mis translated to 2.5 inches in the mould cut out. wink
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums