Catsailor.com

uni fest

Posted By: PTP

uni fest - 01/21/11 05:07 AM

ok, so I know I don't have a lot of "cred" in the F16 class, but I am pushing that there be a lot of uni F16s at midwinters in pensacola in March. Specifically March 19/20.I have clearance for it from the wifey so will be there 18,19,20. I assume CAB will be there. Anyone else showing up? If you are planning on showing up 2-up please consider going uni!!!!
Posted By: pgp

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 12:17 PM

I can't make it. I have GYC in early April and I'm trying to get to Spring Fever in late April.

If the scheduling was different, either the weekend before or after Spring Fever that might make a difference.

Umm... there is a bunch of stuff going on at WRSC around Nationals time. Maybe petition them to designate a Uni fest? I'll kick in a couple of bucks for the "trophy"!

Posted By: mikeborden

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 02:41 PM

At this time, I do plan on being there, unless work gets in the way! UNI I will be.

Just a note, we will be put in the portsmouth/open class. Who says we can't do our own trophies!

Posted By: Timbo

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 03:33 PM

I need dates. Pete, when is the GYC A-F16 regatta (or what ever they are calling it this year) and when is Spring Fever Thanks.

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 03:35 PM

And where is CAB and where is that picture of his new mainsail?
Posted By: Joanna

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 03:35 PM

Spring Fever is always Easter weekend. Fri-Sun racing and a 2 day option for those coming late or leaving early. Would love to see you all there!!!
twinhulls.com is the link

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 03:44 PM

Yeahbut...I have no idea when Easter weekend is...it changes every year.

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 03:47 PM

OK...I just got off my fat butt and looked at my Wife's callendar, Easter Sunday is April 24 this year.

So far we have;

March 19-20 for PNS

April 9-10 Gulfport

April 22 (Friday), 23, 24 for Spring Fever

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 03:55 PM

Wanna go Mano-a-Mano at Gulfport?

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 03:59 PM

I probably won't have a choice and it's usually blowin' like stink. So, I'll do well just to stay upright.

But, yeh! Bring it tough guy! laugh

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 04:23 PM

My 14 yr. old daughter has been making noises about wanting to sail with me, I think she just wants to meet Taylor and Matthew though...so I -might- have her with me at Gulfport, and if I go to Spring Fever, I may have to bring her too, just to get the wife to let me out of the house. She has never run a spinnaker so she will be in the way more than any help there, but I'll see if she might want to ride on a crash boat for a day while I go Uni, probably on day two, after her hands are trashed from day 1 spin work!

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 04:30 PM

you get a new traveler track yet?
how are you going to install it?

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 05:17 PM

Matt's sending me one today, I'm going to use stainless screws all the way, if I can! I think I'll have to pull out the hull bolts though to get access to the ones at the very ends, near the beam bolt. I am going to try the old 10mm wrench taped to the end of the batten...again...but last time it took me forever just to get one in the middle of the track, so I don't know how long it will take to do 20 of them!
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 05:32 PM

Tim- I did riv-nuts on the traveler track on my last Viper, and I'll be doing the same on the new one. I bought allen head screws for mounting the track that were attractive when the track was off and put back into the holes.

I do question the long term durability, but there really isn't that much force there, and it is spread out amongst eight fasteners.

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 05:34 PM

****. Main traveler.....

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 05:35 PM

Thanks Karl...now...what's a riv-nut and how does it work?
Posted By: tback

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo
I need dates. Pete, when is the GYC A-F16 regatta (or what ever they are calling it this year) and when is Spring Fever Thanks.

You can find dates [HERE]

It is also locked as a link at the top of the Open Forum

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 09:27 PM

yeah, you should pull out the beam bolts to get to them. remember to do the furthest one first. My trav was pulling up a little in the center and I replaced something like 5 or so of the rivets with SS screws. I didn't take me forever, but it wasn't pleasant
Posted By: TEH

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 09:37 PM

Karl's always trying to show everyone his riv nuts grin

Seriously, its a neat setup. They are rivets that have threads in the opening. So after they are installed, you have multiple places where the old rivets were to screw your track to the beam.

Makes it easy to install or remove the jib track for those of you who switch back and forth from sloop to uni.

Oh, just realized you are talking about the main on the rear beam.

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 09:37 PM

Thanks Karl...now...what's a riv-nut and how does it work?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rivet-nuts/=aovue7

Re: uni fest - 01/21/11 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by tback

You can find dates [HERE]

It is also locked as a link at the top of the Open Forum

Thanks Terry, and thanks for that great dinner too!

Has Chris recovered yet?
Posted By: LuckyDuck

Re: uni fest - 02/03/11 02:03 PM

Tom thanks for the idea of using these on the jib track. I've been hesitant to install the track on the Falcon because this type of track leaves the tabs on the beam when the track is removed and the tabs by themselves look painful. Ed
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: uni fest - 02/03/11 07:13 PM

I have been thinking about them also. I've been racing with the jib track removed but with the tabs riveted in. Though it looks menacing with the bare tabs, it has never been an issue. The tabs are close enough to center that I do not pass over them while climbing back on board nor do they interfere with any rigging.

Can't wait to see your install Ed. Do you even have a jib and crew yet? (Vic is unavailable for the Nationals wink ).
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: uni fest - 02/03/11 07:18 PM

I am going to try the old 10mm wrench taped to the end of the batten...again...but last time it took me forever just to get one in the middle of the track, so I don't know how long it will take to do 20 of them!

Double sided tape, the right angle on the bolts/beam and practice..

Be happy that F16s are only 2.5 meters wide and have a beer.
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: uni fest - 02/03/11 07:20 PM

BTW, stainless or aluminum (paper or plasic) rivnuts?
My understanding is that aluminum is prefered to minimize corrosion if strong enough for the application. I believe it should and that you would not have to use SS in this case. Yes?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: uni fest - 02/03/11 09:42 PM

If you're using rivnuts to enable you to regularly add and remove a fitting don't use ali. It is too soft and the threads won't last. Go with Stainless or even better Monel. A bit of Tefgel will handle corrosion
Posted By: TEH

Re: uni fest - 02/04/11 01:08 AM

Falcon must have a different track setup. All Karl had on his Viper was a nice neat row of the rounded head nuts screwed into the rivnuts.

I suppose you could have two rivnuts for each tab.

Re: uni fest - 02/04/11 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kris Hathaway
BTW, stainless or aluminum (paper or plasic) rivnuts?
My understanding is that aluminum is prefered to minimize corrosion if strong enough for the application. I believe it should and that you would not have to use SS in this case. Yes?

I used stainless. It good to coat them with Duralac or something similar when installing. A bit of grease on the threads probably wouldn't hurt either.

Re: uni fest - 02/05/11 03:37 AM

Karl was on fire in the last race this afternoon! He did well all day but in the last race he ran away from everyone.

The uni guys need to coax the details out of him.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums