Catsailor.com

Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year

Posted By: Joanna

Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 02/08/11 04:48 PM

14th Annual Spring Fever Regatta

Our 14th annual Spring Fever Regatta will again be held at Lake Hartwell’s Milltown Campground over Easter Weekend, April 22-24, 2011. The Campground will be open starting on Tuesday for those of you that like to come early.

On Thursday afternoon this year, Robbie Daniel will be putting on an on-the-water starting-line seminar and practice session that should be all the incentive you need to arrive a day or two early.

Thanks to the way that you have conducted yourselves and the pristine condition that you've always left the site, we are again being welcomed with open arms at the Milltown Campground.

As you can see from the web site, we will again be hosting the Southern Area F-18 Championship and to make certain that all catamarans are welcome, five boats in any class will race as a class and we will still have the Open Classes utilizing Portsmouth handicapping scoring for all of the open events.

As in all previous Spring Fever Regattas, we will again be using our two-day scoring system for those sailors that can only sail two of the three days.

Our Web site again is: http://www.TwinHulls.com/springfever/ -- From there you have opportunity to link, not only this year's activities, but also to link back and see the results and photos from previous year's Regattas as well.

We need to have you preregister and that can also be done on line at the Spring Fever site. I’ll be updating the “Look who else is coming” list of those that have already preregistered every couple of days.

See you in the Spring.

…..Mr.Ernie

Spring Fever Regatta Coordinator

Posted By: pgp

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 02/08/11 05:41 PM

Who's in?
Posted By: tback

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 02/08/11 06:58 PM

In
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 02/08/11 08:53 PM

In
Posted By: Joanna

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 02/08/11 10:03 PM

Already registered!! smile

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 02/08/11 10:10 PM

Should we designate SF as some sort of special class thingey? I might be willing to donate a case of(empty)Mason jars. I leave it to the imagination to decide what should go in them.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 02/15/11 05:52 PM

We have ten boats registered. Anyone else?

I'll accept a crew if there are any skinny people interested.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/03/11 03:01 PM

11 boats.
Posted By: 94Blue

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/05/11 11:59 AM

Hey All,
I'm looking to crew at Spring Fever. Maybe all three days but at least sat. and sunday. Plenty of experience on cats but been out of them with family for about 10 years. Still race big boats and windsurf.
Thanks and email is Jay@transworldincelectric.com

Jay Adams

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/05/11 12:14 PM

Weight is an issue. The boat probably sails best with a combined crew weight of 310 lbs. Over 350 you can pretty much forget being competitve.

You're welcome to sail with me but I'm 235 so do the math.

PM me here if you'd like.

Posted By: Matt M

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/05/11 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
Weight is an issue. The boat probably sails best with a combined crew weight of 310 lbs. Over 350 you can pretty much forget being competitve.

You're welcome to sail with me but I'm 235 so do the math.

PM me here if you'd like.

Jesus Pete – Don’t be another of the whinny butt people blaming their poor performance on their weight. smile

Yes weight matters, but it is not something that will make you non-competitive. Heavy teams have an advantage in a blow, light teams have an advantage in light stuff and in a drifter it is about luck and local knowledge. Either way it is measured in boat lengths and tends to average over time. Non-competitiveness comes from the driver.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/05/11 01:59 PM

Matt, you never read anything I post. You skim a word or two and go off on the weight thing.

I weigh 235. Sailing uni I have as much chance as anyone else. My lack of performance, uni, refects my lack of skill. I get that.

But, if I throw another 150-185 pounds on board in the form of an inexperienced crew it makes a lot of difference. I don't want someone unfamiliar with the class to be unaware of the facts.

How would you know anyway? You've never sailed over 300 lbs in you life.

I've got a great idea! Lend me Riley for SF and you take Timbo's son, Tom, all 6' 2" 250 lbs. of him. Hardly a scientific test but it might be fun.

No disrespect to Tom, but one of the few times I've waxed Tback was when he had Tom as crew at KPRR.

You're bsing yourself about weight. It matters. Not as much as skill, but it matters.

Posted By: Timbo

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/05/11 02:18 PM

Tom's been working out like a mad-man. He's down to 194 and still dropping. He's been running 5 miles every day and going to the gym 4 times a week, he's lost 65 lbs. Oh, and he cut his hair shorter than mine (at least 10 pounds right there!) You wouldn't recognise him today.

I'm trying to get him to come up to Spring Fever, but still, he and I at 190 each, is too heavy for the -always- light air in Georgia in April. I wish I still had my I20 for the two of us to play on.

It was friggn' windy in Atlanta last night though, we were number 3 for takeoff at about midnight when a squall line came across the field, shutting down all departures for a good 45 minutes, as the winds went to 37 gusting to 52. After it passed we finally departed for Orlando, at about 1:30am. I got to my driveway at 4am but had to get up at 0700 to get the kids off to school...I'm going back to bed now. Oh, and here's the same line of weather I had to fly through, twice, yesterday, coming to a town near you today!

http://www2.tbo.com/weather/local/interactive-radar/

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/05/11 02:46 PM

"he's lost 65 lbs." Wow, that's really impressive.

?...................What's her name?

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/05/11 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
Matt, you never read anything I post. You skim a word or two and go off on the weight thing.

I weigh 235. Sailing uni I have as much chance as anyone else. My lack of performance, uni, refects my lack of skill. I get that.

But, if I throw another 150-185 pounds on board in the form of an inexperienced crew it makes a lot of difference. I don't want someone unfamiliar with the class to be unaware of the facts.

How would you know anyway? You've never sailed over 300 lbs in you life.

I've got a great idea! Lend me Riley for SF and you take Timbo's son, Tom, all 6' 2" 250 lbs. of him. Hardly a scientific test but it might be fun.

No disrespect to Tom, but one of the few times I've waxed Tback was when he had Tom as crew at KPRR.

You're bsing yourself about weight. It matters. Not as much as skill, but it matters.

Maybe it’s time to lay off the keyboard for a while. You are supposed to be proponent of the class as the current king. Between this and SA some of the boards feel like they did a few years ago.

Jay has a lot more experience on cats than you so do whatever you feel is right.

I sail/race because I love to do it with my family. I apologize for not having a 6-2 250 lb kid. (Peyton is not real happy about it either) I have been on the boat though with weight and am fully aware of how they perform. I’m not going to drive 9 hrs to GA to not race with Riley, but would have no issue at all for swapping at a GYC or other fun weekend. When I sail with Riley and the wind starts up over 12 we start to struggle. If I was going to run an international level campaign I would want to be a bit heavier than I sail with Gina to feel competitive in all conditions. I’m fully about weight mattering, but it varies with the conditions– Give me Tom on a blow and we will rock and be a lot faster around the course than I could be with Riley. And that is a fact if you want to make people aware of things.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/05/11 03:26 PM

I'm done. You take over.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/05/11 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
"he's lost 65 lbs." Wow, that's really impressive.

?...................What's her name?

Haahaa! That's exactly what my wife and I keep asking him! But the truth is, it was peer pressure from his "Boys" on the swim team! Oh, and there are lots of girls on the swim team too. He only eats salad and fruit now, has not had a can of soda in about a year. I wish I could say it was me, but it was his peers.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/05/11 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo
Haahaa! That's exactly what my wife and I keep asking him! But the truth is, it was peer pressure from his "Boys" on the swim team! Oh, and there are lots of girls on the swim team too. He only eats salad and fruit now, has not had a can of soda in about a year. I wish I could say it was me, but it was his peers.

Lose some weight fat boy! I'm just trying to help a brother out.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/05/11 08:05 PM

Hey, I've lost 15 from what I was a year ago, and I'd like to drop another 15...but I'm not sure I can give up beer for a year to do it! And besides, when racing Uni in a good blow, I need all that Table Muscle to hold me down! (OK, that's my excuse, what's yours?) ;^)

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/05/11 08:54 PM

I've lost 10 since Mid-January, I quit drinking for 6 weeks (my plan was to be dry until May 1) which has been a bit of a bust. But... the guns are looking fabulous, at least that's what your wife tells me.
Posted By: mikeborden

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/05/11 08:59 PM

I'd like to loose weight too, but UNI on an F16 with only about 170'ish lb's to hold it down after 12 knots isn't enough. smile

Mike

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/05/11 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram
I've lost 10 since Mid-January, I quit drinking for 6 weeks (my plan was to be dry until May 1) which has been a bit of a bust. But... the guns are looking fabulous, at least that's what your wife tells me.

That explains why I keep hearing "Faster Dingy Ding, Faster, Faster!" in the middle of the night!

;^)

Hey, could you at least -take out the trash- when you are done?

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/05/11 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by mikeborden
I'd like to loose weight too, but UNI on an F16 with only about 170'ish lb's to hold it down after 12 knots isn't enough. smile

Mike

Flatter cut main. Doesn't buy you a ton, but its enough. I don't know what the wind maxed out at Charlotte Harbor but I completely ran out of downhaul only a few races.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/06/11 03:16 PM

Hey PGP, I'm about 165. what's that about 400.
I don't care if you don't, or we can wait until we all get there to see if you can get a lighter crew.
Jay
Posted By: jody

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/06/11 03:17 PM

I noticed in pensacola that after my weight loss of about 20 lbs there is a big difference in the need to depower quicker. Think if I am going to do more solo sailing soon I need to get back on the burger and couch surfing plan

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/06/11 03:18 PM

Oh yea, my 13 year old daughter who weighs about Rileys weight may sail but she knows nothing about crewing.
Jay

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/06/11 03:47 PM

It makes no difference to me either as I'm likely to be pretty far back in the pack in any case. Given my druthers I'd pick an adult but your little one is okay.

Count me open for either of you weather permitting. (If the forecast is tornados and sleet, I'm staying home.)

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/06/11 04:36 PM

come no matter the weather. If nice we sail, if bad we sit and drink and talk of sailing.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/06/11 05:13 PM

I also have a newphew, 20yrs old, 130 ish, captn. of clemson sailing team that i can hook up with you too. He's all around sailor but w/o cat experience. I told him i'd hook him up if a "heavy" skipper needed light crew. That may work out good for both of you.
Jay

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/06/11 05:20 PM

Yeh, that does sound good.

Jody, if I get up there and my tent blows away, you have bunk mate!

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/06/11 06:23 PM

The newphew is in! HE can't sail fri. though, has class.
will that work?
Jay

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/06/11 06:42 PM

So who's gonna bite the bullet here and protest Pete? laugh

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/06/11 07:02 PM

Protest? Do tell, I'm sure I'm missing something, but the more boats the merrier I would hope.
Jay

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/06/11 08:04 PM

Sounds great!

Don't worry about Karl, I sure rum or some such will get me off the hook.

Or, I might just take Friday off and go sight seeing.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/11/11 12:56 PM

I'm having a little difficulty with directions.

Finding Lake Hartwell is no problem but haven't had much luck with Mill Creek Campground.

Anybody?

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/11/11 01:07 PM

Directions
Milltown campground is just minutes from Hartwell, GA, on GA Hwy 51 (Reed Creek Hwy) 4 miles north, then turn east on New Prospect Rd for four miles and then follow the directional signs to the park.

Campground Map & Photos
Reservations: Recreation.gov or 1-877-444-6777
Back to main camping page

Pete, it's Milltown not Mill Creek.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/11/11 01:34 PM

blush That would explain a lot. Thanks.

See you there.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/11/11 02:23 PM

Hey Pgp,
If my nephew sails w/ you, Is there anyone else on a spin boat looking for crew yet?
Thanks, Jay

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/11/11 03:06 PM

Dunno.

Anyone need crew?

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/19/11 01:09 AM

Rolling in the morning bitches!

Gotta stop off in Omaha and pick up two more boats.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PTP

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/19/11 02:16 PM

I must say I admire your willingness to travel. LONG distances too.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/19/11 04:32 PM

Admire!? I'm a facking idiot. It was snowing like a bastard leaving Minnesota.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/19/11 05:16 PM

you just need to leave a boat and vehicle in the south and have one up north. Two boats and flying have to be cheaper and easier then driving that desiel beast back and forth. Or does the drive give you time for inner self reflection?

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/19/11 06:21 PM

I'm sure he's singing as he's driving right now,

"Shove me in the shallow water before I get too...deep"

;^)

Hey Karl, don't text and drive!
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/19/11 06:34 PM

I'm sure he's singing as he's driving right now, "Throw me in the shallow water before I get too...deep"

Edie Brikel????

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/19/11 07:10 PM

Yes...but sung by Karl, should be quite a solo!

"I'm not aware of too many things, I know what I know if you know what I mean..."

Edie, with help from the New 'Bohan-ians'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDl3bdE3YQA

;^)

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/19/11 07:17 PM

Hey Karl, don't text and drive!

Good tip, tough to watch movies, surf the internet and drive at the same time.......

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/19/11 07:23 PM

Just put it on cruise control, hop in the back seat and take a nap! The roads up there are pretty straight, right? And the front wheels will track straight in the snow-ruts anyway, so you should be ok...

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/19/11 07:35 PM

Frick! Why didn't I think of that? Won't work now, I'm almost to Omaha, and there's no snow down here.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/19/11 07:46 PM

Find a big semi to draft, maybe you can hook his bumper and get a "Tow Job".

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/19/11 08:19 PM

I'm I going to get a Fever from Spring Fever?

I'm ready to ROCK AND ROLLL!!!!

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/19/11 08:32 PM

Just for you Mike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArRexgJ41NQ&feature=related

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/20/11 04:19 AM

Worst kind of snow. Cool, but not frozen ground, a few inches of slush on the road. Stupid slippery this morning.

[Linked Image]

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/20/11 10:49 AM

That's nasty, more so when pulling a trailer! I hope there wasn't also a gusting crosswind!
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/20/11 12:57 PM

Crap.....and I thought Alligator Alley was a sh!tty road!!!!!

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/20/11 02:08 PM

Look at the bright side... at least the snow and ice fills the pot holes! Oh, and he's not in a rented RV! It's all good.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/20/11 03:18 PM

Where's the party Thursday night? We'll be rolling in sometime late in the afternoon/early evening. smile

Who's got some RUM?

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/20/11 03:27 PM

Dunno about rum but the party is at Nigel's.

http://www.twinhulls.com/springfever2011/11announce/

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/21/11 02:02 AM

Just spent 4 hours, 45 minutes stuck in traffic outside Nashville. God damn it!

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/21/11 11:59 AM

Hey Pete,
My nephew is in for sat and sunday.
Call my cell if you want details
843-532-1013
Jay Adams

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/26/11 11:58 AM

Everyone get home okay? Are the results posted anywhere?

It was a great regatta, now I understand the appeal. We do need to work on the Maryland contingent however.

Did anyone else miss the teeny little I-85 sign and wander around North Georgia for a bit?

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/26/11 01:02 PM

The directions weren't the best, of course we used a Garmin and it was still confusing.

Mike

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/26/11 04:47 PM

we have been there a lot and still missed a turn sunday. Not as bad as when we left last year and following the GPS in the RV with the double stack behind ended up down a narrow one lane dirt road for a few miles. Always an adventure.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/26/11 06:18 PM

Hey, I know that stretch of road! Yikes! An RV and a double stack... freaking GPS.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/26/11 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram
Hey, I know that stretch of road! Yikes! An RV and a double stack... freaking GPS.

We pulled at least 4 U turns heading down the sticks of GA with Terry's short cut - monster RV and Beverly Hillbilly double stack included.

Just add it to the list of stories from the weekend.

Re: Spring Fever Regatta!!! Lets have a fleet this year - 04/26/11 06:37 PM

I stayed over Sunday night and had the place mostly to myself. The stars were very bright, not much light pollution. Lots of birds but no squirrels or anything else with fur. Fortunately there was no banjo music in the distance...

Mr. Ernie stopped by to check on me, and give me the combination to the gate so I could let myself out Monday morning. In fact he gave me two combinations but neither was correct. However, a friendly soul wandered by who had yet another combination that did work. Still, I wandered around for an hour, back tracking for twenty miles before seeing familiar surroundings. I-85 never looked so good!

I'm already making plans for next year!

[Planning note: check combination to gate.]
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums