Catsailor.com

It's been a Week!

Posted By: Timbo

It's been a Week! - 02/27/11 04:30 PM

And I'm getting tired of looking at Karl's name!

What? You guys got nut'n to say?!

OK, I'll start; Pete, get over here today, great wind for upwind poniting practice!

And who's going to GPYC on March 5??
Posted By: pgp

Re: It's been a Week! - 02/27/11 05:11 PM

It's a little late in the day since it's a two hour drive to your place.

Re: It's been a Week! - 02/27/11 05:44 PM

Yeah...well...the wind -finally- just came in, SE about 10, I'm going. See ya!
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: It's been a Week! - 02/28/11 06:41 PM

You could have come to Merritt Island and hung out with Hagar last weekend.

Re: It's been a Week! - 02/28/11 09:07 PM

Except I was in Sydney last weekend...

Not everyone has -every- weekend off.

It was great out in my backyard yesterday and today, where were you?

I'm off March 5, you coming to GYC?

Re: It's been a Week! - 02/28/11 09:13 PM

Last weekend was yesterday and the day before that, right?

Re: It's been a Week! - 02/28/11 09:43 PM

Yeah, I got home late Saturday night after spending about 24 hours flying from SYD to LAX, sat two hours, then dead-heading from LAX to ATL, sat an hour, then ATL to MCO, and then driving 2 hours home...to say I was "Wiped Out" come Sunday morning would be an understatement, which is why I sailed here in my back yard on the Prindle yesterday afternoon, too tired to even uncover the Blade.

How was Hagar? Good wind?

Re: It's been a Week! - 02/28/11 09:50 PM

No pix no proof.

Re: It's been a Week! - 02/28/11 09:59 PM

Show me how to imbed a picture, I'll put one up we took on the way out of SYD, and one of me, in uniform!

I tried to post it but it said the file was too large, to many pixley thingy-doeys or something...I just emailed them to you.

Soo...who's going to Gulfport on March 5? Anyone?

Re: It's been a Week! - 02/28/11 10:24 PM

laugh I don't know if I want to fly with you! Isn't a 777 a big computer? [save your pic on your computer somewhere>go into file manager > browse > open> add file> stop adding files> submit] if the file size is too big, use the "sniping tool" and post that instead of the pic file.

I'm in for GYC IF you can assure me of 5 spin boats, I don't care what size.

Attached picture syd.JPG
Attached picture work.JPG

Re: It's been a Week! - 02/28/11 10:25 PM

You couldn't have asked for a better weekend to go sailing. We spent Sunday chasing and catching balloons, an exercise that never seems to get old, what a riot. Not to mention the trophy making party hosted by the McDonalds, always a hit.

Re: It's been a Week! - 02/28/11 10:39 PM

The 777 is pretty automated but Thank GOD it's a Boeing not an Airbus! I can turn off all that fancy crap and fly it, like it's an airplane. That and I've got 2 Co-pilots and a spare Captain to -help- (baby sit) me! You can post the pictures if you can figure out how. I've got to take the dogs out for a walk...
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/01/11 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Timbo
The 777 is pretty automated but Thank GOD it's a Boeing not an Airbus! I can turn off all that fancy crap and fly it, like it's an airplane.

My old man was hired by northwest in 1963. The last plane he checked out in was the the 747-200, and he retired in 1992. He was old school. Used to piss of right seat folk because he would fly the plane to altitude, not just flip on the auto pilot and set a climb rate and altitude.

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/01/11 01:12 AM

Yeah, it's getting pretty bad now a days, they really don't want us to hand fly the airplanes, and in some Asian countries they outright forbid it! (Air India, Korea, China) "Always use the automation, it's safer." and forget how to fly?
No thanks.

You know they parked all the 727's years ago to save on fuel, replaced them with the 737-800's and MD-88's. Now NW/DAL is parking the DC-9's, the last "non-FMS" airframes. From here on out it's pushing buttons, auto-throttles and auto-lands. That's why I still go out and fly the Scout when ever I get a chance.

http://amerchampionaircraft.com/

But the Airbus takes the pilot out of the loop entirely, not allowing the pilot to "Exceed" any of their pre-set parameters. (Bank angle, pitch, roll, etc.) At least with Boeing I can do what I want, within reason of course, or as we say,

"You can do anything you want...once."
Posted By: PTP

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/01/11 05:12 PM

guess you gotta look at pilot error vs computer error. Wouldn't that twin prop plane that crashed near baltimore (or buffalo, can't remember) a couple years ago not have crashed if they used the autopilot? Didn't an airbus crash in NYC shortly after 9/11 because the pilot applied too much rudder and ripped the vert stab off the plane?
Not saying a computer is better than you tim smile

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/01/11 06:13 PM

The Airbus 330 has a long history of losing the verticle stab, of course it's much easier to blame it on the dead guys, no lawsuits that way, but look at all the tails that have come off the A330's (Air France coming out of South America)...it's not the pilots, it's the design.

The Colgan crash near Buffalo I believe you are refering to was indeed Pilot Error, but that airplane (a Q400) also has a bad history of accumulating ice on the tail in the -wrong- conditions, which is exactly what they were in, that night. The auto pilot had been on but it kicked off when it could no longer sustain adequate control over the horizontal stab, which had iced up. The pilot took the wrong actions (which is still being debated by some experts) ending in a stall/spin into the house.

Look no further than the FAA to see who is responsible for certifying these 2 POS airplane designs. That's why a lot of us have stickers on our flight kits that say,

"If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going."

And now Boeing has managed to F'up the 787 by outsourcing the builds to the 3rd world. Brilliant!

We all know the Pilot's are always at fault, they should have called in sick that day!

There is no computer that is better than any human pilot. Computers are not flexible enough to adapt to sudden changes in...everything. You would not have a computer sail your boat on a gusty day, would you?

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/01/11 07:02 PM

A quick search on You Tube and you'll find out just how good Airbus Automation is, this event took place at the Paris Airshow, the aircraft, an Airbus A320, is being 'operated' (not Flown) by the lead test pilot. Remember, a computer is only as good as the -HUMAN- who programed it. You cannot take "Human Error" out of automation, because it's designed, built and operated by...humans!

"Hal??"

"Yes Dave?"

"Hal, I need you to turn it off now."

"No Dave..."

What's the difference between an A320 and a Chanisaw?

About 500 trees a second...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5NXpar4Ouw

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/01/11 08:20 PM

I hear ya, just messing with ya. Kind of like getting named in a malpractice claim- just unlucky really.

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/01/11 08:28 PM

tim, does watching stuff like this make you nauseated?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X_7Xt2ga-s&feature=related

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/01/11 09:08 PM

No, that's pretty normal max crosswind stuff. Some of those were Boeing Certification flights, where they have to "Demonstrate" to the FAA what the Maximum Crosswind Landing wind speed is, so they were doing that on purpose, to show how much crosswind it could handle.

The last one in that clip was real-world, pax on board, and that looked pretty Ugly!

The "Trick" to a good max-crosswind landing is knowing when (and how much) to kick the rudder to get the airframe aligned with the runway, just before you plant the landing gear on the runway. If you watch closely, you will see (both 747 landings were good) they approach the runway with a big crab angle into the wind, but obviously you don't want to touch the landing gear down going sideways (like that last guy did!) so at about 10 feet up, while sinking, you kick the rudder and lower the upwind wing, to straighten out the nose and gear, to align with the runway, and you plant it, firmly, all at the same time.

Of course if it's that windy (I'm guessing most of those were in the 30knot cross wind range, or more), it's usually squirly winds too, lost of gusts and lulls, that's why it's hard to know exactly when to kick it straight. If you get a gust just as you thought you were going to touch down, or worse, a lull (drop) just before you kick it straight, well, it can get ugly. That's what happened to most of those guys who just about dragged wingtips in that clip.

Several of them "Did The Right Thing" and went around, come back and try it agian, or go somewhere else. You don't want to try to salvage a bad crosswind landing or you risk ending up in the grass on the side of the runway, like that one guy did!

By the way, our (777) max Autoland (on autopilot) crosswind limit is 25 knots, the max 777 Human crosswind landing is 39knots. So I guess the Humans are better and can handle more crosswind than the automation.

Oh, the 3 worst landings in that video were all Airbus A320's...what does that tell you?

Here's what it tells me. Those guys have not been hand flying enough, they have become crippled by always relying on the automation to do it for them.
Posted By: jkkartz1

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 01:19 PM

On leaving the plane I always thank the pilot for the landing.

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 02:39 PM

And we do appreciate that!

We joke about it though, one popular joke goes something like this, "Anyone can Fly, you aren't paying me for the flight, you are paying me for the safe landing at the end."

Then there's the guy (it might be Charlie Sheen tomorrow!) who jumps off the 80th floor of a sky scraper, for 79 floors he thinks he can fly, it's the sudden stop at the bottom that will ruin your day.

Remember the line from the movie Toy Story, when Woody says to Buzz Lightyear, "That's not flying, that's falling, with style."

Nobody worries about the take off, or cruise, it's the landings that count. You want to be able to log just as many "landings" as takeoffs, any landing you can walk away from is considered a good one.

Way back when I went through USAF Pilot Training, I had to fly a low-level mission with a Lt. Col. instructor who had been an A10 pilot (the A10 only does low level bombing missions) and so he says to me, "OK, before we go fly, tell me, what is the Threat today?"

I think about this for a minute and I say, "Well, we will be going 500 mph only 500 feet off the ground, so I guess if we hit a buzzard we are toast, Buzzards are a threat."

He says, "No, what is the Threat?!"

I think for another minute and say, "Well, we will be in uncontrolled airspace, down low, I guess some idiot in a Cessna could be out there and we might hit him."

He says, "NO! WHAT IS THE THREAT??!!"

I'm lost, so I say, "I don't know, what else is there in West Texas?"

He says, "The GROUND! The GROUND is ALWAYS the THREAT!! DON'T HIT THE GROUND!!"

True enough. Going 500 mph at 500 feet in the hills of west Texas, it only takes about 2 seconds looking down at your chart to go from being a hero to a smoking hole. The Air Force has lost plenty of pilots on training missions who flew a good jet into the ground while being distracted by something else.

All you pilot wannabee's remember this; Gravity's a bitch, don't hit the ground.

;^)

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by jkkartz1
On leaving the plane I always thank the pilot for the landing.

Know what a good landing is? One you can walk away from
Know what a great landing is? One where the plane can actually fly again.

I remember my dad telling me about holding short of another taxiway at Narita and watching another plane coming in to land. I don't remember what the equipment was, but it landed so hard that there was fuel leaking out of the wings. eek Not cool. lol

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 02:43 PM

Probably an MD-11! Or as we used to call them, the MD 911. As in, call the ambulance!

Here's the Fed Ex MD11 crash in Tokyo. I flew copilot on it to Europe and Tokyo for 4 years at Delta, never did like it. Nobody I knew did. Some airplanes make you "work" harder than others, the MD911 was one. The joke was, "Boeing builds airplanes, Micky D's (McDonald Douglas) build's character."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8OW4y3HC44&feature=watch_response_rev

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 02:57 PM

I just found a "good" crosswind landing video.

As I described above, he's holding a pretty good crab into the wind (30 degrees or so) until he gets pretty low, then kicks the rudder to bring the nose around to align the airframe and wheels with the runway, then puts it down, nicely done.

This is what it is supposed to look like, and in a MD 11, it's not easy! Kudos to the KLM boys!

Wouter, one of those guys sails Kites at your club, right? Tell him I said Hi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFloyyEBblQ&feature=related

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 03:06 PM

And, just to prove it CAN be done in an Airbus, here's a good crosswind landing, by one of Karl's Dad's friends, I'm sure! Watch how as he kicks the rudder he also lowers the upwind wing to slip into the wind (right wing down, in this case and same with the MD 11 above) to hold the airplane on centerline as he -gently- puts the gear on the runway. It's a coordinated move, about all 3 axis' and you have to play the power too. Right amount of rudder and wing down and pitch up to flare and touch down...gently, on speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEo6LWCi6fg&feature=related

See, it can be done, even in an Airbus, buy like everything else, you have to practice, and not rely on the autopilot to do it for you, because the autopilot can't be trusted. That's why they put not one, but two pilots up there.

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 03:36 PM

I want to say it was a four engine turbo prop. Don't remember for sure, and that could be about anything.

I used to live not too far from the Minneapolis airport, and would get gas right of the end of one of the runways and watch planes come in. It was always worthwhile when the weather was rough. NWA used to have a whole mess of 727's, they always seemed to have the most trouble. Dad always said it wasn't a question of if, it was when with that plane, but he must have liked it. I think he flew it for 18 years. After that it was a couple in the DC10, then the 747 till he retired. I wish I would've asked him what he started out on. I knew he built up his hours crop dusting.

Whats the difference between a MD11 and the DC10?

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 04:01 PM

From a distance there isn't much difference. Same wing, same fuselage, 3 engines, etc.

The MD11 was Micky D's answer to high fuel prices in the late 1980's, early 1990's. Rather than spend the money to design, build and certify a "new" airplane, from scratch, they took the DC10 and "Modified" it. That included adding all the Computers for navigation and they eliminated the Flight Engineer possition by adding more computers to run the Hydrolic, Fuel, Pneumatic and Electrical systems, as well as checklists for abnormal ops.

They hung new engines on it, added those funky wingtips to reduce drag, added bigger fuel tanks and a center landing gear for the increased gross wt. They tried to do it on the Cheap and it was kind of a mess, a mix of old and new, a compromise, not a real solution and it was a pig when you flew it heavy, same wing as a DC10 but they added 100,000lbs. to the max takeoff wt.

They did the same thing with the DC9; put Flight Management System (FMS) computers in it and new engines, called it the MD80 series. I flew the MD88 for a year, it was a mess too, you could never take your eye off it, you never knew what it was going to do next!

The MD 11 had pretty long range (16+ hours with aux. fuel tanks in the cargo hold) but it did not meet the "fuel burn" numbers MD had promised to American, Delta and Swiss Air, who were the first customers. There were lawsuits over who would pay for the extra fuel, etc. I think American Airlines got some money out of them.

Long story short, they are mostly freighters now that the 777 has come along. Boeing bought McDonald Douglas years ago and pretty much killed off the MD 11 production line.

The DC10 was a great airplane in it's day, as was the DC9, and the 727, but it was a "Different Time" ie. fuel was a lot cheaper back in the 1970's! As the price of fuel went up, demand for more fuel efficient airplanes drove those older airplanes out of existance.

Everyone loved the 727, I only got to fly copilot on it for about 2 years, then I went to the 757/767, but it was a lot of fun to fly. The autopilot sucked, so you HAD to hand fly it a lot, which I loved. When I got on the MD11, I would hand fly it a lot too, but some of the Captains didn't like me to do that.

One Capt. said to me, when I clicked off the autopilot and auto-throttles, "You realize you have just removed two layers of Safety?!"

I said, "Yeah, well, I'm just going to pretend it's an airplane, and pretend I'm a Pilot, and I'm just going to fly it..." so you KNOW I had to grease it on or suffer the wrath. Luckily the wind was calm and it was a good landing, so good some of the Flight Attendants came up to the **** and asked, "Who made that landing, that was Great!"

Of course I've had a few go -not so smooth- too, but it's nice when you really -need- to get a good one, and you do!

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 08:08 PM

Who do you have lined up for GYC Saturday?

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 08:30 PM

Um...nobody?

I was thinking of taking my son but if no other spin boats are going...?

Where's Terry been?
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 08:34 PM

I spoke with Terry last weekend. He is planning to be there. Beth and I will be there. I believe that Robbie will be sailing with Zach there this weekend. Possibly Cheryl and Tina on an F-18. Weather permitting, Ding may show....so there will be a few spin boats.

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 08:36 PM

Okay, count me in.

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 09:07 PM

Thanks Karl.

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 09:09 PM

Don't blame me if they don't show. It's just what I have heard from talking with various people. I can only say for sure that I will be there. Hell.....It's gonna be a nice day. Why not go sailing?????

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 09:12 PM

It is March. If it's blowin' stink I'll weinie out at the last minute.

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 09:30 PM

Forecast looks like it will get the Pete stamp of approval.

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 09:34 PM

laugh Gettin' old is a bitch.

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 10:06 PM

It's blowin' nice out there today!

Whitecaps all across the lake! It will probably die down by Saturday though, I just hope it's not a drifter, I hate light air! http://www.bcbaywatch.com/

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/02/11 10:30 PM

http://tinyviolins.com/
Posted By: Wouter

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/03/11 11:37 PM

Wouter, one of those guys sails Kites at your club, right? Tell him I said Hi.

We'll do !

Actually, we got a couple of airline pilots at our club come to think of it.

Wouter

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/04/11 01:02 AM

Thanks Wouter.

I know you introduced me to one, who I believe flew for KLM, that's the guy I was thinking of when I saw that KLM crosswind landing video.
Posted By: Wouter

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/04/11 10:16 AM

That is right, I remember who that was.

Wouter

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/11/11 09:35 PM

Remember, if you want to be a Pilot, best to start at the botom and work your way up, like this kid!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/919IA_Lj0Ko

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/12/11 03:17 AM

jeebus, you gonna drag this thread up everytime the forum is a bit slow?

Tim, ever fly a sailplane? Phucking awesome.
[Linked Image]

Way louder than I ever would have thought. I want to get my license, but I'm worried I'll do something stupid like buy a glider.

My dad use to say: "if it floats, flies, or fucks; rent it" Fortunetly there's a low probability of me ever getting married, but if I did all three he'd be spinning in his grave.

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/12/11 01:42 PM

Quit braggin'!(I'm jealous) I've never had a desire to fly anything with an engine but gliding is the coolest thing I can imagine.

Enjoy!

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/12/11 03:24 PM

Karl, yes I have some glider time and I've always wanted to get my glider rating but it allways comes down to the two things we all need more of in life;

1. Time
2. Money

Until I get my 4 kids (and 6 horses) off my "Payroll" I won't be adding any "Fun" stuff like that to my debit card.

Before I got my first ride in a glider, I thought it would be like going up in any Cessna and turning off the motor, then slowly gliding back to earth, in about 5-10 minutes. But after we disconnected at about 3,000' we flew for over 45 minutes!

It was great fun, I hope to someday get into it, but there's only so much money in the bank account and I relly need a new main and jib if I'm going to keep racing sailboats.

The one drawback about gliders is, you have to go to an airport, then you need a tow plane (or car, or winch) to get you up there to begin with, so it's not a sport you can do "Alone" any time you have the urge. It becomes a big production every time you want to go fly, with more money spent (and time wasted) sitting around waiting your turn in line for a...wait for it...a tow-job!

And your dad was right aobut the 3 F's, rent it!

The two things I do like about sailing vs. flying is, in 30+ years of sailing, I have yet to spend a dollar on gasoline for my boat. And I can do it -alone- any time I want, with no outside help required...usually. Oh, and I can legaly drink a beer while sailing...in fact I think it's required.

The two sports are very much the same with the physics involved, lift, drag, thrust, gravity, all that stuff works the same on both sailboats and airplanes. I don't know if you have ever seen the book "High Performance Sailing" by Frank Bethwaite, (if not, get it!) but Frank was an Australian Airforce pilot back in WW 2 I think, and then a competition Glider pilot, but also an awsome sailboat racer/designer of their 18' skiffs.

The two sports go hand in hand. If you can do one, you can do the other, given enough time and money of course! And if you want to do both, I suggest you stay single! You can always rent it. And remember, you are NOT paying for the Sex, you are paying for her to LEAVE when you are done!

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/12/11 03:43 PM

I just loved being in a thermal when you're getting really good lift. The tight turns and and the G's are awesome. We don't have any orographic uplift here (its essentially dead flat), but the thermal action in the spring can be pretty wild when the fields are all black and the air is cool.

Originally Posted by TIMMY!!

The one drawback about gliders is, you have to go to an airport, then you need a tow plane (or car, or winch) to get you up there to begin with, so it's not a sport you can do "Alone" any time you have the urge. It becomes a big production every time you want to go fly, with more money spent (and time wasted) sitting around waiting your turn in line for a...wait for it...a tow-job!

I actually have few shares in a small airport <5 miles away that does a lot of soaring stuff. They've got a couple of tow planes, and number of members. The do have a few gliders that the club owns, but nothing really sexy and cool. But just like catamarans you can get into a base model pretty reasonable. The sexy ones cost a buttload. Time and money as you say though. Usually I have one or the other, but rarely both at the same time.

Originally Posted by TIMMY!!
And remember, you are NOT paying for the Sex, you are paying for her to LEAVE when you are done!

One of my favorite lines.

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/12/11 03:55 PM

If you are only 5 miles from a good glider strip you wouldn't have to waste too much of your day driving there and back.

The closest glider strip to me is over 90 miles. This place:
http://www.soarfl.com/

Watch their video.

If I had one 5 miles away I'd probably have my ticket by now. It's only about a 10 hour transition course if you already have your powered license.

I have shopped online for what they call Self Launched "Powered Gliders" but if you think the unpowered ones are expensive, look at a self launched! Well above $50K for an old used one, over $100K for new...
You want to see toys that cost a lot more than cats, start here:

http://www.barnstormers.com

Here is the glider equivelent of Catsailor;

http://www.ssa.org/

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/12/11 05:27 PM

My two favorite glider stories: (condensed)

From Nat. Geo., way back.

Guy soared the entire lenght of the Appalchians (or some such distance), read the wind by looking at the color change of the leaves on the trees below as the wind blew across them.

Anothe guy was soaring in California and started watching sea gulls soaring. So, he followed one off shore. He began to wonder and sure enough, after awhile, the bird turned around and started flapping its wings! He made it back okay but made a mental note not to follow sea gulls.

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/12/11 05:54 PM

Yeah there are two ways a glider can get "Lift". One is by thermals, ie. hot air rising, the other is "dynamic" or what is commonly referred to as Ridge Lift, where wind is blowing across the plains then runs into some type of ridge, like the Apelation Mts. and the air is forced upwards to go over the ridge, but it also comes back down on the backside, so you have to soar on the upwind side, obviously.

They have distance races to see who can ride the ridge the furthest...then when they run out of lift, they land in a field and call for their support crew to show up with the trailer, just like some of our catamaran distance races!

I don't know that I would follow a bird out over water in a glider, a large body of water lacks both ridge and thermal lift!
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/12/11 09:08 PM

Qualifying for a soaring license is one of my goals here in life! If only my ears are up to it..

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/12/11 10:04 PM

Hi Rolf, here's something you can fly low and slow which is a lot of fun too, and you won't hurt your ears with pressure changes if you stay low! This guy lives here in Sebring and is a good friend of mine, I've flown his blue Air Cam in the video, it's a lot of fun!

http://www.aircam.com/

Phil Lockwood is his name and I've had him out on my Blade, I20 and Prindle...but he owns two Sunfish! I've been trying to talk him into buying a cat for years and he's been trying to talk me into buying an Air Cam!

Maybe...someday.

Posted By: lesburn1

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/13/11 03:05 AM

I've been thinking about going the glider route myself.
I spent about 1/3 of the summer with no wind on the lake I sail at. And there's are two glider ports with in ten miles.
Know if I can just find a job!
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/13/11 09:50 AM

Thanks Tim, but I want to go soaring like the eagles if I am to go smile

Only airplane I would be willing to build would be this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Horten_Ho_IV.JPG

(or another Horten design)
Posted By: tback

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/14/11 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo

The closest glider strip to me is over 90 miles. This place:
http://www.soarfl.com/

Watch their video.

Girlfriend just got me one these for my Birthday. Yippeee!

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/14/11 06:56 PM

She bought you a Sailplane??!! Geez, that's going to make it pretty expesive come her birthday!

Oh, and does she have a sister?

;^)
Posted By: tback

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/14/11 07:10 PM

Two, and one of them is available.

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/14/11 07:33 PM

Bring her to Spring Fever!

Oh wait...I think my kid is coming...hmmm.

I wonder how much ice cream is this going to cost me??

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/14/11 09:05 PM

Is that you one you're saving as crew for me?

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/14/11 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by tback
Two, and one of them is available.

Is she hot and promiscuous? I'll be down on Thursday. lol

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/15/11 11:21 AM

Karl, if she's not up to your standards...lower your standards!

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/15/11 12:15 PM

My current standards are:
1. Human
2. Female
3. Breathing

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/15/11 12:26 PM

Growin' a thumbnail?

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/15/11 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
1. Human
2. Female
3. Breathing

Breathing?

Man, you ARE fussy!

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/15/11 07:57 PM

OK, so when I was in the Air Force, we would deploy for "Temporary Duty" the acronym is, TDY. And when we go on TDY, we had standards too. They had to be a TDY 10.

So what's a TDY 10?

A "4" and a 6 pack of Pabst.

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/16/11 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by TIMMY!!!
1. Human
2. Female
3. Breathing

Breathing?

Man, you ARE fussy!

I've entertained removing one of the criteria if the current drought continues much longer. laugh

Originally Posted by TIMMY!!!
OK, so when I was in the Air Force, we would deploy for "Temporary Duty" the acronym is, TDY. And when we go on TDY, we had standards too. They had to be a TDY 10.

So what's a TDY 10?

A "4" and a 6 pack of Pabst.

George Carlin: "I've never F'd a ten, but I've had five two's in one night, and I think that should count for something."

or as one of my friends dad's always says, "go ugly, go early"

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/16/11 08:08 PM

You can always rent.
Posted By: waynemarlow

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/18/11 11:17 AM

I've had five two's in one night, and I think that should count

Nah doesn't count, standards that low smacks of desperation. smile

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/18/11 02:13 PM

Our typical crew layover party has five 2's.

Does that count?

;^)

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/21/11 05:54 PM

Karl saw enough 10's on Saturday night to last him a lifetime. There were even a couple 11's, a few 12's, and I gave 1 a 13!

Re: It's been a Week! - 03/21/11 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by ksurfer2
.........,and I gave 1 a 13!

Is that the one I gave a 100 to? laugh
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums