Catsailor.com

Need some help.

Posted By: ManOverboard

Need some help. - 12/28/11 03:34 PM

I just recently bought a Blade F16, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a list of spare parts I should get before I start sailing. I already have exra sails, rudders, and daggers. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: Jalani

Re: Need some help. - 12/28/11 05:21 PM

Always worthwhile having a spare set of rigging or, at least, some trap lines and make sure you check the set in use every week. Swop out anything that looks suspect.

Other than that a storage bin with sundry shackles, blocks, bungy cord and lengths of Dyneema or equivalent should get you through most eventualities.

Don't forget the "Ace in the Pack" item for all cat sailors - a roll of good quality Duct Tape! smile
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Need some help. - 12/28/11 06:04 PM

I'm definitely in the minority here, but I have spare sails, (mains, jibs, spinnakers), a spare mast, dagger boards, aluminum tube for booms and spin poles. I'd like to get a spare rudder setup too. Plus what John mentioned.

May sound dumb, but I don't like travelling somewhere only to have my trip ruined because something stupid happens.

Re: Need some help. - 12/29/11 02:27 AM

"May sound dumb, but I don't like travelling somewhere only to have my trip ruined because something stupid happens."

This is exactly why I'm asking. I would hate to invite people out for a sail and have to tell them nevermind because something broke I couldn't replace. What are the main problems areas?

Re: Need some help. - 12/29/11 04:54 AM

Really, I want a complete spare boat sitting on my trailer.

What can break? Anything.

Some say I'm paranoid, but I'm not, I'm prepared. lol
Posted By: pgp

Re: Need some help. - 12/29/11 12:18 PM

http://www.apsltd.com/c-107-pintlesgudgeonsrudderheads.aspx

I had a pintle break. So I replaced both and went to the clip (above, scroll to bottom, item # R0767).

The only other thing was the spin pole itself, but that was because a knot came undone.
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: Need some help. - 12/29/11 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by ManOverboard
What are the main problems areas?

There are no blaring problem areas. If the boat is setup right, maintained, and sailed in non-life challenging conditions, you should not be faced with any predictable failures.

Key is knowing your boat and prevention. Before every sail, inspect the rig especially the fittings. If the rig goes, your sail is toast. Be sure the ring dings are taped and not misshaped. Inspect the spin pole stays. Make sure the forestay is well fastened to the bridal. You'd be surprised how taped ring dings become freed and just ready to snag the spin sheet or a tensioned forestay shackle will work its way loose.

Thereafter, most breakdowns are the result of hitting something in the water or related to a capsize, i.e. crew/skip going through the sail or boom, hanging onto the tiller, or debris after a storm (coconuts). After righting after a capsize, inspect all of the rig fittings AND the spreaders, sometimes they will move and will not be able to support the pressure while under sail.

Now if you are like Karl and traveling 1000 miles for a multi day event, it is wise to carry spares. Karl probably has spares for most of his spares. I don't blame him.

Finally, if your sailing season is seasonal or you traveled a long distance for a multi day sail/event, do a good shake down sail before that big event or friends get together.

Re: Need some help. - 12/29/11 06:19 PM

Thanks for everyones input. You never know what you can learn from one question.

Re: Need some help. - 12/29/11 07:39 PM

I'd bet the most commonly broken part that isn't from wear or fatigue is the tiller extension.
Posted By: pgp

Re: Need some help. - 12/29/11 08:25 PM

+1

No doubt!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums