Catsailor.com

I should make sure not to leave my helmet on the short bus..

Posted By: Karl_Brogger

I should make sure not to leave my helmet on the short bus.. - 01/19/12 08:08 PM

I learned something new at Tradewinds, or at least while I was sailing around a few days before.

I have trouble consistently righting the boat singlehanded with just a line. So after drifting for 15 minutes, and about to give up and call the coach boat over I gave it another shot. Wrapped the line around my hook, leaned out, and threw one ARM over my head, and it came up. I could get the mast out of water before, but not past horizontal.

eYe feall dumbie.....
Posted By: pgp

Re: I should make sure not to leave my helmet on the short bus.. - 01/19/12 08:51 PM

Um, that's gotta be orientation to the wind. Sometimes the boat will swing under me almost 45 degrees before it comes up, then it almost rights itself.

btw- did you notice the round the horn guy was on the down hull and just rode it up, kept the boat from going all the way over.

Re: I should make sure not to leave my helmet on the short bus.. - 01/19/12 09:08 PM

Yeah, but Pete. You out weigh me like 2:1 laugh
Posted By: pgp

Re: I should make sure not to leave my helmet on the short bus.. - 01/19/12 09:33 PM

That was my point! Even with my weight the boat has to swing round to the correct orientation or it will just sit there.

If the air is light enough I might have to walk forward or backward on the hull to get it to pivot.

It's hard for me to believe the weight of one arm was sufficient to make the difference for you to right solo. Some of the lighter guys carry empty trash bags to scoop up enough water to right the boat.

Re: I should make sure not to leave my helmet on the short bus.. - 01/20/12 03:25 PM

I was oriented well, just couldnt get her to go. Threw my arm up and when it started to come up, all I could think was "you gotta be shittin' me"
Posted By: Timbo

Re: I should make sure not to leave my helmet on the short bus.. - 01/20/12 03:47 PM

It might have also been a good gust of wind getting under the mast, or a good wave, helping to right it. I righted my Inter 20 by myself several times, but it was really the wind getting under the mast that flipped it up...and sometimes right over the other way!
Posted By: orphan

Re: I should make sure not to leave my helmet on the short bus.. - 01/20/12 04:09 PM

When right on the edge it does not take much to tip the scales.

Re: I should make sure not to leave my helmet on the short bus.. - 01/20/12 06:34 PM

and I had to be right on the edge. I capsized again, later that day and same results. Arm over the head, and up she came.

The good news is this saves me a bunch of money, I was thinking about putting a carbon mast on to make righting a squeak easier.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I should make sure not to leave my helmet on the short bus.. - 01/20/12 07:59 PM

Were you using the under-tramp line or over the hull? (just curious - I realize it makes no difference to the righting moment.)
Posted By: Timbo

Re: I should make sure not to leave my helmet on the short bus.. - 01/20/12 08:21 PM

Or...maybe you've got really, really, fat arms!
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: I should make sure not to leave my helmet on the short bus.. - 01/20/12 11:30 PM

Was it your left arm or right arm?
Posted By: Jalani

Re: I should make sure not to leave my helmet on the short bus.. - 01/21/12 09:05 AM

Perhaps you have a particularly heavy watch???
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums