Catsailor.com

Jib triangle

Posted By: PTP

Jib triangle - 04/18/12 11:46 PM

Are the jib triangles on all the F16s the same? I believe they are, but wanted a second opinion.
Anyone have the measurements?

Anybody want to measure a their new F16 jib for me?
Posted By: Aido

Re: Jib triangle - 04/19/12 02:06 AM

No they are all different. Yes I have the measurements for a few. No you can't have them. Just buy one from a sailmaker that knows the class.

If you are thinking of making your own don't bother, it's actually quite a difficult sail to get right. Some sailmaking software struggles to get it right as well.
Posted By: Aido

Re: Jib triangle - 04/19/12 10:27 AM

Perhaps what you are after is the fore triangle. The measurement from the top of your bridal to the hounds. Hounds to the turning block or the main beam. And the measurement from the mast base to the bridal. That is your triangle. It varies between different types of boat quite a lot.

The only thing that will be the same about f16 jibs of different boat or manufacturers is the area which is < 3.7 square meters.

Re: Jib triangle - 04/19/12 11:00 AM

Thanks.... I guess
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: Jib triangle - 04/19/12 01:50 PM

They are different and continue to be tweeked. The attached fits a 2009 Falcon.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture jib.jpg

Re: Jib triangle - 04/19/12 02:02 PM

I would add that you can order a new one for just over $500, made to the latest specs and with the latest material, and a LOT LESS AGGRAVATION (LOL)!

You still have a VMW Blade?
Posted By: pgp

Re: Jib triangle - 04/19/12 02:39 PM

I think Patrick has the sewing bug. It's surprisingly addictive.

Re: Jib triangle - 04/19/12 02:46 PM

Kris,
Thanks. yes, still have a VWM Blade. Am I missing something though? Rje diagram is for a main, not a jib.

Re: Jib triangle - 04/19/12 03:39 PM

LOL!!!! I got gypped! It is the main. Sorry, I do not have the jib. Exclusively soling back then and managed not to get the jib measured.
Posted By: pgp

Re: Jib triangle - 04/19/12 03:58 PM

Mine is blank as well. I get you some numbers this afternoon.
Posted By: geert

Re: Jib triangle - 04/19/12 08:45 PM

Hi,

The triangle on as Blade is pretty small; I have a couple of measurements and this one is about as big as possible, for a Blade.

[Linked Image]

JIB

s1 (luff) 5,47
perp. H1 1,245
area triangle 3,51

s1 (luff) 1,245
perp. P1 0,014
area segment 0,01

s2 5,3
perp. P2 -0,033
area segment -0,12

s3 1,25
perp. P3 0,062
area segment 0,05

s4 0,04
perp. H4 -0,17
area triangle 0,00
---------
Area total: 3,45

Geert

Attached picture jib.jpg

Re: Jib triangle - 04/19/12 09:24 PM

Reminds me. Nacra's F16 sports a square top jib in their website photos.

Re: Jib triangle - 04/20/12 01:27 AM

Geert,
Thanks a bunch, that is what I am looking for. It also closely matches my rough jib measurements on my older than heck jib.
Posted By: daniel_t

Re: Jib triangle - 04/20/12 11:39 PM

I was curious about this as well. Since the mast height and mainsail area are restricted, it basically means that all the boats are going to have the same size main (maybe some slight differences in the length of the foot depending on how full the leach is.)

However, if I remember right, the only restriction on the jib is its area. Although the leach and luff are indirectly limited by spinnaker hoist height, I doubt that anybody would want a jib that tall...
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Jib triangle - 04/21/12 07:56 AM

limits on jib are max area and max lufflength
Posted By: Junior

Re: Jib triangle - 04/25/12 04:51 PM

Hunter at Schurr Sails in Pensacola can make a jib for whatever foretriangle you have. He is also able to print and cut out panels and send them to you for assembly. We have a few home sailmakers who like to put their own sails together.
Schurr Sails- 850-438-9354
Cheers,
Bert Rice Jr

Re: Jib triangle - 04/26/12 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Junior
Hunter at Schurr Sails in Pensacola can make a jib for whatever foretriangle you have. He is also able to print and cut out panels and send them to you for assembly. We have a few home sailmakers who like to put their own sails together.
Schurr Sails- 850-438-9354
Cheers,
Bert Rice Jr

HEY!!!
Thats me!
smile
Put on my F31 main yesterday that Hunter cut for me and I put together. first time I ever saw the thing fully unrolled. looks good aside from some small modifications I need to do
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums