Catsailor.com

Spinnaker sheet

Posted By: waynemarlow

Spinnaker sheet - 05/22/12 01:36 PM

OK next corner of the Spinny, I have used D12 as the halyard, it is soft and relatively easy on the hands, you can create alsorts of nice knots and the best bit, it doesn't burn the spinny like other halyards will when you don't quite get the snuffing bit right.

So what about using 3mm D12 for the sheet and put a cover or covers over it to bulk things up bit where we are handling it, some of the dedicated sheets are bulky heavy and least desirable, expensive. Any body been there done that ?
Posted By: pgp

Re: Spinnaker sheet - 05/22/12 01:41 PM

Not I! Just the opposite, I (most of us I think) strip the outer core off the halyard for some suitable distance. I destroyed my first spin by NOT stripping the outer core, this time very little problem.
Posted By: Ringo

Re: Spinnaker sheet - 05/22/12 01:43 PM

I have not, but I'm a HUGE fan of FSE Robline Racing Sheet ...not the Pro version though as that is the double braid. I love the feel of the line. I have used this on two boats.

As for the halyard, Matt builds his with tapered spiderline. Works great. Just pull the core out so that when the head is at the top block that the cover goes a few inches up past the halyard cleat. Then you only need maybe 3 feet of core left in the cover, and strip all the core out of the rest. I never get kinks this way and the line is easy on the hands. The cover by itself on the douse will not burn the spin or the hoop.
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Spinnaker sheet - 05/22/12 08:04 PM

Wayne;

Spi sheets - I used Marstrom Purple (or what ever it's called); light; does not hold water but not cheap.

Spi Halyard; Tapered D12 2.5mm to 5mm maffoli. was the Biz !
Posted By: Smiths_Cat

Re: Spinnaker sheet - 05/23/12 07:27 AM

I used in the past 10mm (or 8mm I don't remember) PP line (the yellow stuff which is usually used as safety line). It is very light (swims on water), nice to your hands, does not kink and cheap. Drawback is that it starts to fluff after some time.
At the moment I use Liros magic sheet (9mm). Not as light and a bit more expensive but free of fluff.

Cheers,

Klaus
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums