Catsailor.com

Viper traveler line

Posted By: Anonymous

Viper traveler line - 07/29/12 12:02 PM

My viper traveler line broke on me. It has the two tails that splice together into one line that runs through the cleat. Is there a place I can get this from? I don't know how to splice line.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Viper traveler line - 07/29/12 01:13 PM

Red Gear Racing, or I can make one and send it to you.

Re: Viper traveler line - 07/29/12 02:14 PM

Thanks! Message sent
Posted By: daniel_t

Re: Viper traveler line - 07/30/12 01:51 AM

Mine broke recently as well. My Taipan has the same set-up as your boat. I bought 10 feet of 5/16" Staset, cut two feet off and bent it on one end to make the two tails.

When I rig the boat, I bend the traveller line to the mainsheet and off I go. So far the setup has worked out well.

Re: Viper traveler line - 07/30/12 02:56 AM

Bend?
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Viper traveler line - 07/30/12 03:05 AM

That's fancy yachtie talk for...

Tie one On!

As in,

Go get Bent!

Here you go, sing along: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN-Lka3nqm0
Posted By: orphan

Re: Viper traveler line - 07/30/12 12:28 PM

Quick and easy. Pull about 8 inches of core out of double brand. Re run the core back thru the the cover and put a few stiches in. Tie the core to one side the cover to the other.

Re: Viper traveler line - 07/30/12 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by orphan
Quick and easy. Pull about 8 inches of core out of double brand. Re run the core back thru the the cover and put a few stiches in. Tie the core to one side the cover to the other.

That's pretty much what I sent him. Difference being I put the cover through the core, and the core through the cover, then there's no need to throw any stitches in. It locks down pretty hard.

What I want to try doing is taking a short piece of dyneema, splicing an eye on each end onto the eye straps on the rear beam, then splicing an eye on the core of the actual sheet with the split tail going through that eye, then just pull the eye splice back into the cover a bit. There needs to be something there to lock the cover to the core on the sheet though, just stitching it would probably work fine. Doing that way should make it self centering, and should run pretty cleanly. Once in a while I get something that hangs up and I have to pump the traveller sheet to get it centered.

Re: Viper traveler line - 07/30/12 02:55 PM

I guess it's time for me to learn to splice and stitch and pull cores and whatnot!

Re: Viper traveler line - 07/30/12 03:02 PM

I used to think it was black magic voodoo, only for those with a few ocean crossings, a couple of Olympic medals, and maybe an America's Cup under your belt.

Its really simple, doesn't take much for tooling, and is a really handy skill to have.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Viper traveler line - 07/30/12 04:11 PM

And a couple different sized, cheap knitting needles will help you open the weave to do the splices, and run the core/cover through each other.

Available at your local Walmart.
Posted By: Gilo

Re: Viper traveler line - 07/30/12 04:31 PM

Personally I don't like the cover being the only thing that supports the traveller on one side. Not a long term solution.

Better to use a Dyneema core and splice than one in two, will last forever.

Gill
Posted By: TEH

Re: Viper traveler line - 08/01/12 12:14 PM

As Karl suggests, I bought a multi-size set of needles from Wal Mart. Cut them to length and sanded off the pink paint. Worked well for the larger sizes which were hollow. For the smallest size, I had to drill out the first 1/2 inch or so. This was a little tricky to keep from going through the needle wall. I also drilled a small hole through the end of each needle for putting in a stitch to hold the line while splicing.

With a little practice, I can now do a basic splice and I also learned to do a soft shackle.

BTW, I made two soft shackles and am going to try those with the traveller sheet to see if I can get consistent centering and avoid having to tie. The potential snag will be if its a hassle to run the sheet through the traveller with pre-tied knots.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums