Catsailor.com

Boards

Posted By: Anonymous

Boards - 10/29/12 12:06 AM

Just watched some videos on you tube and noticed in a couple that people had their boards partially up on Vipers. In what conditions should the boards be raised?
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Boards - 10/29/12 12:09 AM

If its windy enough that you're sticking it frequently, pull them up. When I'm singlehanded I leave them up the entire time. Seems to help going to weather to depower a bit as well, and I don't really notice any difference in height other than I'm not pinching as much.

If its not windy enough to fly a hull down wind, pull them up. But they need to be down going to weather.

Re: Boards - 10/29/12 12:22 AM

I'll have to experiment next time I'm out, which will be in Florida!

Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Boards - 10/29/12 12:32 AM

That'll be the next time I'm out. I should be there late Tuesday. Chase me down, I'll buy a round.

We're going to be ~385lbs, and running the long boards likely if the wind isn't way up. We're praying for breaking sh!t kind of wind. (which reminds me, I need to make a phone call.)

Re: Boards - 10/29/12 12:59 AM

Looking forward to it, not breaking sh!t wind though, we're about 275-280lbs ha.

Will lookout for you. We are driving to Georgia Wednesday(11/7) after work to meet, load the boat and hopping on the RV to ride.
Posted By: Gilo

Re: Boards - 11/05/12 09:57 PM

You pull daggerboards up mainly when it's gusty. If your boat wants to lift a hull without accelerating if you have pulled well on the cunningham it's time to lift the boards.
As Karl says single handed you will have them up earlier than 2up.

Gill
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums