Catsailor.com

Looking for a taipan

Posted By: bacho

Looking for a taipan - 11/14/12 10:39 PM

I'm looking for a Taipan 4.9, preferably in the south east. Anyone know anyone who might have one for sale?
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/16/12 07:31 PM

Does Rick still have his? It was listed on here forever.
Posted By: pgp

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/16/12 08:30 PM

Try GYC.

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/18/12 06:18 PM

Gyc?

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/18/12 08:51 PM

http://www.gulfportyachtclub.com/

Ya gotta be there for their April thingey.
Posted By: JeffS

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/18/12 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
Does Rick still have his? It was listed on here forever.

I vaguely remember a thread on here years ago that Rick started when he was looking for that boat. From my memory he sold it to someone that took it and didn't pay for it, if I'm not mixing up my threads someone found a sail for that boat in a second hand shop.

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/18/12 10:43 PM

I think that was bigger boat, not a 4.9.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/19/12 09:08 PM

I recall seeing a Taipan in his backyard one or two years back. I think it was the 4.9 with some hooter thing rigged up. needed a little washing up but looked sailable
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/20/12 03:07 AM

I do vaguely remember something about the boat being stolen or something.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/20/12 03:58 AM

I thought it was the Taipan 5.8 that was stolen? Anyone seen one of those out on the water lately?

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/20/12 06:14 AM

Sorry about getting the boats mixed up, that must be the Taipan 5.7 that Rick used in his video for spinnaker handling, I should have got that right since it was my last boat, Duh. Awesome to think in light of some of the forum threads, those 5.7's weigh 140kg all up carry heavy crew, were factory produced and are all lasting the distance

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/20/12 07:18 AM

I've little doubt the 4.9 is the best for uni sailors.

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/20/12 11:32 AM

I PM'ed Rick. He is considering repoing a 5.7 that was not paid for. E doesn't have a 4.9

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/20/12 01:06 PM

Does he know the location of the 'stolen' 5.7? I'll help him repo it if it's anywhere near me.

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/20/12 08:52 PM

I am assuming he does.

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/20/12 09:02 PM

If you can find a crew Bacho you would have the time of your life on that 5.7

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/20/12 09:11 PM

he's got an N20. What more could you want?

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/20/12 09:44 PM

F16?

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/20/12 10:27 PM

I've sailed both. Nothing beats the N20 for beefy crews. Drives like a cadillac, even in moderate seas

F16 is great too, but a little small for big crew of 2. Good singlehander. F16 can fidget downwind, but new designs help keep the bow up

Ask anyone who's sailed an N20 how they compare to other boats for distance sailing or buoys. Too bad their sailplan is a bit dated which limits their peak performance

Yes, I'm a bit biased. In reality most of the current boat designs are pretty dang sweet. I think the only fleet I haven't sailed is A-cat.

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/20/12 10:39 PM

Well Mr. Thread hijacker the op asked about a Taipan. 'member?

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/21/12 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
I've sailed both. Nothing beats the N20 for beefy crews. Drives like a cadillac, even in moderate seas

F16 is great too, but a little small for big crew of 2. Good singlehander. F16 can fidget downwind, but new designs help keep the bow up

Ask anyone who's sailed an N20 how they compare to other boats for distance sailing or buoys. Too bad their sailplan is a bit dated which limits their peak performance

Actually I have 2 of them haha. One has a new sail plan. I would like to trade/sell one for an F16 type, something I can handle myself. Our crew weight is about 350lbs, and my crew doesn't like the power of the new sail plan in anything over 12mph. I would like something light enough for me to handle on the beach and in the water myself, but still have the option of crew.

The taipan may not be perfect, but I do not think there is any other F16 that will be in my price range.

Re: Looking for a taipan - 11/21/12 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by bacho
I would like something light enough for me to handle on the beach and in the water myself, but still have the option of crew.

The taipan may not be perfect, but I do not think there is any other F16 that will be in my price range.

I'm with you on that..... or maybe you could build your own hulls and snatch parts from everyone else...
Posted By: samc99us

Re: Looking for a taipan - 12/04/12 04:04 PM

Taipan does great as a uni-rig in our fleet. 2 up would be a bit dicey due to lack of volume. I wanted one for a year or so myself, thinking the same thing they are the cheap F16, but the reality is they don't exist.

Frankly I would dump both the N20's (don't get me wrong, great boat but dead class), get a F18 for two up work (350lb crew is perfect weight for an older Infusion), and find a Boyer Mk. IV A-Cat to sail solo. That would be the cheapest option, since a good used F16 is still $9K+.

I'm very curious to sail my F18 against the F16's at similar crew weights this summer, and jump on a F16 (Viper or Falcon) at our F18 crew weight (330-350lb) and see how she handles it, mostly because I like the ease of handling the F16 on the beach.

Re: Looking for a taipan - 12/05/12 01:46 PM

I really have no interest in an F18, I still use my 20 fairly often for rec sailing with 3 or 4 people.

I currently have a N20 on eBay for $4,500 with no bids, looks like selling them both would hardly get me a decent f18 or f16 anyways

Re: Looking for a taipan - 12/05/12 02:00 PM

Wow, an I20 for only $4,500??

It might get more interest if you listed it here on Catsailor, as this is where cat sailors come to shop for cats, more so than ebay.

Personally, I've never even looked at ebay, for anything. I thought it was a place wives go to buy needless crap.

Re: Looking for a taipan - 12/05/12 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo
I've never even looked at ebay, for anything. I thought it was a place wives go to buy needless crap.

Or hookers.... Or is that Craigslist?

Re: Looking for a taipan - 12/05/12 04:09 PM

Craigs List, under "Masage Therapists".

Don't ask me how I know...ok, Ding told me!

Re: Looking for a taipan - 12/05/12 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo
Wow, an I20 for only $4,500??

It might get more interest if you listed it here on Catsailor, as this is where cat sailors come to shop for cats, more so than ebay.

Personally, I've never even looked at ebay, for anything. I thought it was a place wives go to buy needless crap.

I use beach cats and eBay for almost everything, with about equal amounts of views. The boat ran on beach cats with no interests and only low ballers. On eBay it's getting 200 plus views per day. Probably gonna part it out if this doesn't work.

Re: Looking for a taipan - 12/05/12 05:28 PM

I would think any of the I20 guys would need some spare parts, and that's a pretty good price.
Posted By: PTP

Re: Looking for a taipan - 12/07/12 12:40 AM

the carbon mast on a 20 can't be replaced for close to 4800 from what I hear. I guess the al stick is much less than that though

Re: Looking for a taipan - 12/07/12 11:21 AM

The AL rig is $3,200 complete after shipping from Holland. The carbon rig is $7,800 for the bare tube.

Re: Looking for a taipan - 12/07/12 02:06 PM

Does your I20 have a carbon mast?

Re: Looking for a taipan - 12/07/12 04:42 PM

Yup.

Re: Looking for a taipan - 12/12/12 08:55 PM

Parting my I20 out, All proceeds will go to a Taipan cause!

http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/catamaran-parts/p12450-nacra-and-inter-parts.html
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums