Catsailor.com

What happened to Wouter Hijink?

Posted By: Dazz

What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 06/01/14 01:10 AM

does anyone one know? his digital footprint seems to stop a few years ago?
Posted By: Timbo

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 06/01/14 04:27 PM

I haven't heard anything from him in a few years...?
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 06/02/14 06:25 AM

I think he moved on to work on windmills and other objectives after seeing the F16 project up and walking.
Posted By: Phile

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 06/02/14 01:23 PM

His last tweet was on 18 Feb 2013. Maybe he is no longer with us mortals.

Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 06/03/14 09:27 AM

I both kitesurf and sail at his home club but have not seen him there for a while either, last time was probably sometime last year.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 06/05/14 03:33 PM

I think there were some references to summoning him using the Beetlegeuce mantra
Posted By: gregP19

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 06/06/14 11:02 AM

Speaking of missing F16 persons-what happened to the guy from Auz? I think his name was Gary Maskiel. He would sail solo and initiate his gybes from the wire. His control of the boat solo was impressive.

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 06/06/14 11:59 AM

Gary moved into Mosquitos and sailed there until recently. Now I believe he is without cats.

http://www.theracingcat.com/
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 06/06/14 04:10 PM

Whatever happened to that Norwegian guy who was building his own boat?
Did he ever complete it? Still building?
So many questions.

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 06/07/14 08:53 AM

So many questions and so little time.

Now doing the foils. Hulls complete. Also sailing an Infusion.
Posted By: Matthew Dawson

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 06/13/14 11:14 AM

Gary is very active in the forum next to this one (mosquito). I think he is the current national champ and has just bought a new boat.
Posted By: Dermot

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 11/19/14 09:00 PM

Wouter can be found on "Linkedin"
https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=18776007&authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=xneQ&locale=en_US&srchid=644396431416430458480&srchindex=1&srchtotal=1&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A644396431416430458480%2CVSRPtargetId%3A18776007%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 11/19/14 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dermot
Wouter can be found on "Linkedin"
https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=18776007&authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=xneQ&locale=en_US&srchid=644396431416430458480&srchindex=1&srchtotal=1&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A644396431416430458480%2CVSRPtargetId%3A18776007%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary

And if anyone (Apart from Tim Bohan) remembers me, I have returned to my very first cat, a Catapult. I went from a Catapult to a Dart 18, Dart Hawk, Spitfire, Shadow X and now, in my old age shocked , back to a Catapult.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 11/20/14 04:02 AM

Hi Dermot!

"The Circle of Life" it seems!

Did you get out on your cruising cat much last summer? How's the boys at Blesso? I fly right over it once in a while, on the way to Dubai. Sometimes it's even clear enough to make out the lake.

We had to divert into Athens last week for a medical emergency. If the guy had only had his stroke a few hours earlier I would have gone into Dublin and paid you a visit!

I hope all is well with you and yours. Our season is just starting down here, I was out sailing the Prindle 18 with my dog just a couple days ago, but then it got cold the past two days. It's supposed to warm back up by Saturday.

Take care and I hope the weather is good to you this winter, 50% of the USA is under snow right now! Luckily I'm in the other 50%.
Posted By: tback

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 11/20/14 05:00 PM

Dermot,

My daughter is expecting to enroll in Griffith College for postgraduate degree in January. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 11/29/14 01:15 PM

Terry,
Sorry for delay in answering - I don't regularly check the forum these days.
Griffith College is one of the smaller colleges in Ireland, but it has a good reputation. You may hear of some of the small language and business colleges in Ireland closing down in recent years and students losing money. Griffith seems to be very sound and there have not been any problems. They are based in Dublin Cork and Limerick. There should be a good social life in each of those cities. I know that student rent is expensive in Dublin - I'm not sure about the other 2.
My 2 sons are well past that stage, so I do not have any real experience in that field. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. I live in Dublin.

Tim,

I retired September 2013, so I did spend a lot of time on the cat over the summer - still working on it, but I got in a good bit of sailing as well.
The weather was exceptionally mild this Autumn. We had many days in tea shirts right to the end of October.
Not wishing any harm on your passengers, but it would be nice to see you smile

Dermot.

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 12/01/14 02:42 PM

I would be interested in this "retirement" concept and how it applies in Ireland... Is there some sort of social pension, or are you on your own in terms of funding your expenses while not working?

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 12/01/14 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
I would be interested in this "retirement" concept and how it applies in Ireland... Is there some sort of social pension, or are you on your own in terms of funding your expenses while not working?

Jay, Some factors have changed recently, but basically, at age 66, if one has worked, paid tax and gathered a certain number of "Stamps" over their working life, there is a State Pension of up to Euro 230 per week. Individuals can also pay into a personal pension fund, and get some tax allowances.
I have the state pension and a small personal private one. There are some allowances for older people - electricity, heating fuel, medical card etc.

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 12/02/14 05:32 PM

sounds rather reasonable, similar to the Social Security system in US?

How does one collect these "stamps"?

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 12/02/14 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
sounds rather reasonable, similar to the Social Security system in US?

How does one collect these "stamps"?

I suppose that I am showing my age by using the old term "Stamps", they are now called credits, or would be refereed to as PRSI Credits. You pay Pay Related Social Insurance contributions when you work and get credits towards your pension.

Re: What happened to Wouter Hijink? - 12/03/14 03:38 PM

so if you've got the pension and medical taken care of, and discounts on some other costs of living, it sounds like you're all set to enjoy life as long as you're in good health/spirits.?
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums