Catsailor.com

Timber Taipan Error!!!

Posted By: Berthos

Timber Taipan Error!!! - 03/03/03 12:53 AM

Attention timber taipan builders!

Jim Boyer notified me of an error in the General Information article of the Timber Tips page on http://www.taipan.asn.au . Thanks Jim!

The article read:

[Daggerboard Cases

The plans are based upon the first daggerboards which had a chord length of 13". Now days all boats use the smaller boards which are near minimum width (approx 11" - check and measure) Therefore you don't need to make the cases quite as big as the plans (save weight / reduce water in cases when sailing)]

The 4.9 rules state:

[e. Dimensions: Min. Max.
Width at keel in down position 290mm. 330mm.
Thickness at keel in down position 21mm. 26mm.
Overall length 850mm. 1100mm.]

The minimum width stated in the rules is 290mm which equals 11.42". So when making centre board cases they must be able to accommodate 11.42" centreboards. 11" won't do it.

The article should read:

[Daggerboard Cases

The plans are based upon the first daggerboards which had a chord length of 13". Now days all boats use the smaller boards which are near minimum width (minimum 11.42" - check and measure) Therefore you don't need to make the cases quite as big as the plans (save weight / reduce water in cases when sailing)]

The figure Jim gave me was 12" for the daggerboard/centreboard cases.

Sorry. I hope this has not caused any problems for anyone. If it has you could try suing me but I don't have any money so you'd be wasting your time.

If anyone else finds errors on the site please let me know.

Rob.

Posted By: James

Re: Timber Taipan Error!!! - 03/06/03 12:45 PM

Rob

Your information wasn't incorrect because you clearly indicated that the dimension was approximate and should be checked and measured.

Cheers

James
Posted By: Kirt

Re: Timber Taipan Error!!! - 03/06/03 12:52 PM

Rob-
Do you know what the "stock" dimensions of the Taipan boards are? Might be nice to put those on the site so if a builder wanted to opt for the "stock" boards they would know those dimensions. Of course I would presume they would purchase the boards first ideally and make the trunks to match

Kirt
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums