Catsailor.com

SPITFIRE WANTED

Posted By: CatWoman

SPITFIRE WANTED - 08/28/05 07:11 PM

I want to buy a late model used Spitfire with red hulls (2000 or later)-- but I am unable to find anything in the U.S.

Can someone give me a hint how to acquire one of these boats in the U.s.?

My second choice would be a newer used Taipan 4.9.

Any help out there??
Posted By: Wouter

Re: SPITFIRE WANTED - 08/28/05 08:07 PM

I want to buy a late model used Spitfire with red hulls (2000 or later)-- but I am unable to find anything in the U.S.

As far as I know no Spitfire was ever sold or brought to the USA. There are second handers on offer in the UK but then you have to bring it over yourself.

Or go to the Aruba regatta in november and buy of the UK sailors attending with their spitfire there.

My second choice would be a newer used Taipan 4.9.

Why is that a second option ?

Wouter
Posted By: Robi

Re: SPITFIRE WANTED - 08/28/05 11:26 PM

Or better yet invest in a Blade, built locally in the us and will run you cheaper than the T4.9 or the Spitfire.

Re: SPITFIRE WANTED - 08/29/05 08:00 AM

Or better yet invest in a Blade, built locally in the us and will run you cheaper than the T4.9 or the Spitfire.

That is when buying a new boat. As far as I know there are no second-hand Blades available anywhere. The design is too young for that.

Wouter
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: SPITFIRE WANTED - 08/29/05 12:45 PM

And there are a couple of Taipans for sale in the US at the moment.

BTW, there will very shortly be a Blade in your vicinity if you're looking for F16 action.

Mark.

Re: SPITFIRE WANTED - 08/29/05 01:46 PM

And when I said "shortly", I meant like within an hour. The crates are now safely in my garage.

Mark.

Re: SPITFIRE WANTED - 08/29/05 02:11 PM

post pics when assembled!!!!!!

Re: SPITFIRE WANTED - 08/29/05 03:07 PM

Will do, though at this rate it may be a while. Just getting the top off the first crate was exhausting, with a hand screwdriver (made no easier by the fact that I had no sleep last night - thanks partly to jetlag). And I have to fly to Phoenix tomorrow, back Thursday. But with a little luck I hope I'll be ready to venture out for the first time by next weekend.

Mark.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 56529-IMG_0238.1.jpg

Give test rides to .... - 08/29/05 08:14 PM

Give test rides to interested parties (when the boat is assembled and tuned !)

Wouter
Posted By: redvanman

Re: SPITFIRE WANTED - 08/31/05 09:54 PM

not that many red Spitfires here in the UK. usually a choice of white boats though on www.spitfiresailing.org.uk
colour matching easier for repairs on a white boat if the worst should happen!
Best to contact Reg White for new boats and the UK class association about getting a boat to the states, great bunch who wil help if possible.contact details on the above site.

gary

Attached picture 56712-2bdh0942.jpg
Posted By: Nofixedaddress

Re: SPITFIRE WANTED - 08/31/05 10:55 PM

What a great looking boat, anyone done the maths on landing one of these in Aus? I'm talking about the Blade.

Re: SPITFIRE WANTED - 09/01/05 08:37 AM

.. anyone done the maths on landing one of these in Aus? I'm talking about the Blade. ...

Roughly speaking you are looking at :

11.800 US$ for a complete American build Blade F16 boat => 15704 Aus$
I think you aussies have only 10 % VAT taxes. => 17.274 Aus$
then you are looking at about 2000 to 2500 Aus$ to have it shipped to you. => about 19200 - 19800 Aus$ ready to sail

In your case; one of the Signapore Blades may be a very attractive option as well.

Also a good option could be to by your mast and sails locally in Australia (Taipan masts and Blade masts are exchangable) and only ship the platform and all additional hardware. This would negate the need to ship the mast over seas and you guys have a score of good sailmakers for the Taipan mast locally.

Just for the fun of it I looked up the price of a Taipan 4.9 with spi package = 20309 Aus$

Seems like the US Blade is cheaper for Aussies than buying a Taipan locally. Funny

Wouter
Posted By: Cary Palmer

Re: New Blade Owner - 09/01/05 12:08 PM

What's your sail Number??
I see you bought the unassembled version, Was that a better option than a Factory assembled boat, or was it just saving the price of a trip to Florida??
CARY

Re: New Blade Owner - 09/05/05 03:28 PM

Cary, it's number 705. Just figured it was less hassle to get the boat shipped here rather than drive to Florida.

Unfortunately haven't been able to get everything assembled this weekend due to some logistical issues. Hopefully will be on the water next weekend, if not sooner.

Mark.

Re: New Blade Owner - 09/05/05 03:40 PM

Sweet Mark! Cannot wait to see some other photos.

Take some photos of everything laid out, that would be rad to see. Keep in touch for what we talked about.
Posted By: Bob Klein

Re: New Blade Owner - 09/05/05 03:56 PM

As you progress through your assembly, I would be curious of the quality of the boat's construction. You always here great things about AHPC and it will be interesting to note the quality of this F16 built in the US.

Perhaps others who own a Blade built in the US can also give feedback of the quality of this boat.

Thanks
Bob
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums