Catsailor.com

Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article.

Posted By: Anonymous

Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/09/05 07:46 AM

Hi all,

yes the article that Tim and Phill helped me write, has been published across 4 pages with lot's of photo's. In Australia's No.1 mag. that covers performance, racing for mono's and multi's off the beach and offshore.

Regards Gary.
Posted By: Jalani

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/09/05 09:20 AM

Hi Gary,

I'm sure we'd all love to see it, has it been published online anywhere?

If not can you get someone to scan it and publish it on a website?
Posted By: fantom

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/10/05 06:42 AM

Hi Gary
Can you tell me the name of the mag. I would be superkeen to get a copy
Thanks
Russell

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/10/05 11:32 AM

Russell,

That is it - "Australian Sailing" - it's the main mag in Aus..

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/11/05 04:01 AM

Gary,

I presume that the magazine owns the copyright on the article. Following on from John's question, do you think they would be willing to make an electronic version available to us after some period of time to place on the class website (which is currently undergoing redevelopment, btw)?

Mark.
Posted By: fantom

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/11/05 07:28 AM

Gidday All
Have just bought my copy of the Australian Sailing Mag and I am very impressed with the article ... Congratulations to all involved in writing it.
To get around the copywrite issue I am prepared to buy a few copies and send it to you. send me your snail mail address and I will send of 5 copies for you to read and pass onto your mates in here
Regards
Russell

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/11/05 09:35 AM

Hi all,

the magazine does not have website or anything online to my knowledge. Email only.

hadn't thought of copyright. It wasn't mentioned at any stage by editor. I have sent same article to quaterly Multihull World magazine in OZ, hope it's not a problem?

I may be wrong but I think Tim sent article electronicaly to Wouter. Shouldn't be a problem to get electronic copy of original. Magazine only made minor changes.

Regards Gary.

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/11/05 09:44 AM

Hi Gary,

I think I'm right in saying that if you wrote the article and the mag simply published it, the copyright rests with you. HOWEVER, the final layout and any editorial changes of the finished article will rest with the magazine. So:

1. Shouldn't be a problem however many magazines you send the original material to.

2. If you were to ask Aus Sailing about reproduction permission they would most likely grant it (UK mags usually do) BUT you do have to ask!

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/12/05 07:53 AM

Thanks John, makes sense to me.

Regards Gary.

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/13/05 04:02 AM

Gary, is this the September issue? I was going to ask my father in NZ to pick up a copy. He phoned a newsagent and they have some copies of August available, but I'm guessing that's not the one I want. Can you confirm?

Mark.

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/14/05 10:50 AM

Hi Mark,

yes it is the sept. edition. It was late coming out, became available in OZ 9/9 so would be later in NZ.

Regards Gary.
Posted By: Darryn

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/19/05 07:48 AM

Great article, it prompted me to buy Australian Sailing which I haven't done for several years. Shame about those inland clubs doing it so tough.
With the Mosquito being so far under the F16 minimum weight how does it remain eligible for inclusion? How much longer will it be eligible?
Darryn
Mosquito 1704

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/19/05 09:44 AM

Hi Darryn,

glad you enjoyed the article. It is a shame about inland clubs, many inland clubs in Vic. use to hold regattas early in season which I enjoyed, but there are only a few left now.

As far as the Mosquito being eligible, as long as it is Mosquito class compliant to all current Mossie rules it is eligible for F16 forever, light weight is a plus but this is balanced against undersize rig. But as soon as it is not Mosquito class compliant ie. you have a larger main sail or taller mast. You would have to bring complete boat up to minimum F16 weight.

Regards Gary.
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/19/05 12:26 PM

Gary gave the right answers.

But to entlighten the reply I would like to explain the underlying criterium.

Pretty much the mossies will be regarded grandfathered (as they are now) as long as their Texel handicap rating is the same OR slower than that of the real F16's. Any mossie complying with the current mosquito class rules and adding a 17.5 sq. mtr. spinnaker will satisfy this Texel rating based grandfather criterium.

Wouter

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/19/05 11:01 PM

Thank you for clearing that up, I had wondered about that for some time.
I raced a Mosquito on the lake at Wagga Wagga for a year in 1998, the lake is gone now and the local boats are rotting in backyards.
A 17.5 sq.mtr. spinnaker seems rather large, are sailors really using that size spinnaker? There is a local boat using a 10 sq.mtr and I was thinking maybe 12 would be about right, it is windy here.
Darryn
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/20/05 07:06 AM

17.4 sq. mtr spi size seems to be okay for singlehanding if you can fit it into the triangle between pole, mast gate and sheeting point. Several of us are really using a spi this large and with double rathets I don't feel that it is too big.

I typically race in 10 to 18 knots. But smaller doesn't seem to be much slower at all so ...

Wouter
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/20/05 10:54 AM

Small world Darryn,

I raced in Wagga between 1989 to 1995 in 125, laser, NS14, MG14, Maricat and Dolphin cat.

Quiet enjoyed sailing there and would like to bring the F-18 there for a weekend. How low is the lake now.... Is it totaly un sailable.

My old Dolphin was built by Euan McArthur who at the time built quiet a few along side his neighbour Bill Williams I believe his name was (It has been a while)

Euan's son Bruce races at our club at Kurnell on his A Class. Before this, Bruce raced probably the best looking Mossie around which was built by his dad and named Smick, taking it to atleast 1 nat title. Another KCC member bought the boat many years ago (John Veltmire) and has not raced in in about 3 years. Last weekend he came down to the club for a look. Hopfully he will start racing with us again.

How is the club traveling now. Last I heard there was a few Gemini and maricats racing. Is Steve Vine still racing his Taipan and Greaham Stubbs on his A Class.... Haven't seen them in a few seasons now.

How is the Dolphin fleet going.... We use to have 7 or 8 on a regular basis. It was the only fleet in NSW.

Anyway hope the Wagga boys are going well and please say hi for me. If you or any of them are heading to Sydney, please give us a call and we can catch up.

Stephen Medwell
steve@tornadoalive.com

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/20/05 11:52 AM

Hi Darryn,

the Mosquito spinnaker like the rest of the sails is smaller than F16 max. at about 14.2 m2. But it is as you say plenty big enough to make the Mossie get up and boogie. From experience the Mossies one up downwind speed, matches anything up to trapeze strength breeze. More competitively than upwind in the same strength.

It could be possible to make it smaller and not lose much speed one up, I would leave the luff length the same and cut foot and leach shorter so that the clew ends up higher, sheeting position would then remain the same, at sidestay makes it easy. Higher foot would also aid visibility, a good thing one up.

Regards Gary.

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/21/05 12:52 PM

Small world Darryn,

Quiet enjoyed sailing there and would like to bring the F-18 there for a weekend. How low is the lake now.... Is it totaly un sailable.

My old Dolphin was built by Euan McArthur who at the time built quiet a few along side his neighbour Bill Williams I believe his name was (It has been a while)

Euan's son Bruce races at our club at Kurnell on his A Class. Before this, Bruce raced probably the best looking Mossie around which was built by his dad and named Smick, taking it to atleast 1 nat title. Another KCC member bought the boat many years ago (John Veltmire) and has not raced in in about 3 years. Last weekend he came down to the club for a look. Hopfully he will start racing with us again.

How is the club traveling now. Last I heard there was a few Gemini and maricats racing. Is Steve Vine still racing his Taipan and Greaham Stubbs on his A Class.... Haven't seen them in a few seasons now.

How is the Dolphin fleet going.... We use to have 7 or 8 on a regular basis. It was the only fleet in NSW.

Hi Stephen, I raced my first Mosquito there and a Laser also while I was in Wagga in 1998, I was back there in Febuary, the lake is all but gone definitely no sailing. The council seems to be making some ineffectual efforts to revive it and I heard there is a little more water in it but still not sailable. It was an very enjoyable club to sail at with the lake dimensions adding some challenges on a fast boat..
I heard talk of a "Smick" Mosquito when I was there but never saw it, the Dolphins where gone but Steve Vine on his Taipan and Stubbsy where still sailing. I know a couple of Gemini sailors have moved on to Taipans in Melbourne and other things.
Lots of Paper Tigers when I was there, Garry? Williams and sons, freakishly fast on the lake.
I live in South Australia and wont be back to Wagga anytime soon so I wont be able to pass on your hello

Darryn
Mosquito

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/21/05 01:15 PM

Smick has been in Sydney for many years now... I have attached a pic. Hopefully it will be on the water again soon. As far as I know, it is still in as good off condition as the day it was built and about 5 kg under weight.

Cheers

Attached picture 58007-Jive01.jpg

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/21/05 01:18 PM

Kurnell F-16..... James Cole

Attached picture 58008-F1010016 small.JPG

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/21/05 01:20 PM

Pic 2.... James

Attached picture 58009-F1010017 small.JPG

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/21/05 01:21 PM

Another KCC F-16

Attached picture 58010-collins%20and%20cook_09_2002 small.JPG

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/21/05 01:25 PM

Taipan F-16 USA 300

Attached picture 58013-Kilkenny.jpg
Posted By: h77

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/22/05 07:52 AM

On some of these pics, it looks like some the sailors are beating to windward (from the main traveller position) while having their spis up.

I recently bought a spi for my Hobie 16 (am I still allowed here?) and was wondering how high you can point with it - any thoughts on that?

Of course, I could have tried it out myself, but on the two occasions I felt the wind was too strong to do it - my bows always buried when I went any higher than a deep reach.

I appreciate your input.

H77

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/22/05 08:03 AM

On some of these pics, it looks like some the sailors are beating to windward (from the main traveller position) while having their spis up

No they're not beating to windward. If you do some searches on here about sailing with spinnakers, you'll find all the discussion(s) that went on about the fastest way downwind. Essentially, with kite up you are travelling fast enough to create an APPARENT wind that means you need to sheet in your main. There are several other reasons why this helps the boat and is explained at length (with various author's views) in those threads.

Have fun with your new spin!

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/22/05 08:23 AM

That makes sense. Thank you for pointing me to the other thread (and your good wishes ).

H77

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/22/05 10:17 AM

Hi H77,

as long as you are interested in spinnaker sailing you are more than welcome here.

Am still looking forward to sailing with some Hobie 16's with spinnakers one day. There are quite a few of them around now but I don't seem to see them racing, which is the quickest way to learn to use the spin. well.

Happy to help with hints if I can just ask. But basicaly pointing as high as you can with spinnaker, with main sheeted centraly and then pulling away as speed builds which allows you to keep kite set is how it works. Best to trial this first in about 10 kts. which will give you good feel for the speed.

Regards Gary.

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/22/05 11:51 AM

Thank you for the welcome, Gary

The reason for most H16s sailing w/o spins is probably that spins aren't allowed in their one-design class. As far as I know, they are only "legal" for youth events (<=21 years).

After going out on the water with the spin, downwind-sailing became a whole new experience! Before spin, that course was peace and quiet; with spin, screaming speed, high-frequency weight trim, bows in the water! It felt great, especially after being back on shore in one piece.

I feel I already profit from your experiences posted here, so thank you all for that.

Best regards,

H77
Posted By: Darryl_Barrett

Re: Australian Sailing Magazine, F16 Article. - 09/23/05 12:51 AM

I always thought that a true sailor never got any older than 21, no matter what it says on their birth certificate?
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums