Catsailor.com

UK travellers trophy events 2006

Posted By: john p

UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 11/06/05 09:59 AM

What venues do we want for 2006?

I would suggest 4 or 5 events + the 4 nations making 6 with 3 or 4 to count.

Suggestions please
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 11/06/05 11:46 AM

John et al.

I'm trying to get the dates for the Grafham Cat open 2006 PDQ, but it will probably be the 2nd/3rd weekend in Oct. so 14th or 21st Oct.

I'll let you know as soon as I know.

Posted By: Jalani

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 11/06/05 07:59 PM

It'd be good to include a distance race like the Forts I think. Don't Whitstable also host a buoy race series on the same weekend?

I'll try to find out the dates of the Thorpe Bay Cat Open in 2006.

I think the 4 Nations Event is a brilliant idea but we don't have to stop at 4 or even 6 nations. We can throw it wide open and just call it the F16 Nations Cup can't we?

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 11/06/05 11:25 PM

It'd be good to include a distance race like the Forts I think. Don't Whitstable also host a buoy race series on the same weekend?

I'll try to find out the dates of the Thorpe Bay Cat Open in 2006.

I think the 4 Nations Event is a brilliant idea but we don't have to stop at 4 or even 6 nations. We can throw it wide open and just call it the F16 Nations Cup can't we?

Come to Marconi for the ECPR!

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 11/06/05 11:32 PM

Grafham Cat open 2006 is on 21/22 October 06.
Posted By: pdwarren

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 11/07/05 10:34 AM

Don't Whitstable also host a buoy race series on the same weekend?

Not usually - at least not formally. As has already been suggested, Marconi do for the ECPR.

As for venues - why not something at Datchet? It's an easy way to get a good attendance.

Paul

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 11/07/05 11:01 AM

So, it looks like ECPR would be a good one to include, Datchet can be taken as read, Grafham is another obvious one as is Mumbles. Isn't there a reasonable Cat event held at Bala?

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 11/07/05 01:04 PM

So, it looks like ECPR would be a good one to include, Datchet can be taken as read, Grafham is another obvious one as is Mumbles. Isn't there a reasonable Cat event held at Bala?

Guys,

If you schedule your trip to Datchet the week after, I'm sure I could pursuade the Admin's at Grafham to allow you to leave you boats at Grafham for the interveening week for anyone who would be coming from the North / wanted to leave them there. (but don't bank on it till I've asked)
Posted By: Dago

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 11/08/05 11:14 PM

Eastbourne Sovereign SC will again be hosting it's Cat Open in 2006. 29th/30th July. This year we had 1 Stealth attend from Datchet. Would the F16 group like to come to us in 2006? We are looking to run 6 races over the 2 days, first start not before 12:30 on the Saturday.

Regards,

Peter Daigneault
Sailing Sec - Eastbourne Sovereign SC
Posted By: Simon

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 11/09/05 09:43 AM

There's a very good event at Bala each year. It is usually held at May Bank holiday weekend (so is likely to be 29 April - 1 May 2006). They hosted the Dart 18s GP this year, as well as the usual Fast Cats, and treated their guests very well. I intend to be there in 2006 (on my Spitfire). I suggest you make contact via their website: http://www.balacatamaranclub.org.uk/

Before anyone thinks I am biased, I am a member of Dee SC ( http://www.dee-sc.co.uk/ ), about 50 miles from them.
Posted By: sailwave

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 11/09/05 01:00 PM

One advantage of Mumbles is that it's (essentially) next to the Cork ferry, so the Irish contingent may be tempted...

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 11/10/05 08:41 AM

Colin

What are the dates (months if not decided yet) when the open events are being held at Mumbles, also would the club be interested in hosting the Nations cup?

kind regards

john

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 11/10/05 11:51 AM

Hi John,

On the 3rd/4th June 06 we've having an opon cat long distance race down the Gower Coast (Sat) with round the cans open on Sun. I am absolutely certain that we can accommodate separate scoring should the F16s choose to use that weekend. We trialed the LD Gower race this year with club boats and it was great; it would have to be one of your event's races because we could probably not stretch rescue to cover both.

Colin

PS: My boat arrives on 26th Nov; At last...

Re: Preliminary calendar for UK 2006 - 11/15/05 08:02 PM

OK

so here is the provisional calendar for next year, any comments/ suggestions are welcome

Bala sc open meeting May
Nations cup Mumbles or Saundersfoot Pembrokeshire June
East coast piers race June
Eastbourne July
Datchet can we do the same as last year in September with the FX1s?
Grafham October
+ an event at Sheppey if they'll have us, Alan? any idea on dates, probably best to avoid August if possible

I am suggesting results from 4 races to count with the nations cup either compulsory or with double points.

regards

John

Re: Preliminary calendar for UK 2006 - 11/15/05 10:01 PM

If anyone needs ballast I might crew for you - but I am a better helm than crew, so if any helms cannot make it, send your crew with the boat and I'll drive it for you......

Re: Preliminary calendar for UK 2006 - 11/16/05 07:31 AM

Provided that the Nationals/Nations Cup is a 2/3 day event then I think making it compulsory to qualify for the Traveller's Trophy is the way to go. That way there is a really strong incentive to get as many F16s together as possible for the major event of the year for the class.

Are we opening this series up to the grandfathered boats? (I'm thinking Spitfires) If we are, then shouldn't we be talking to their reps?

I think your proposal is excellent John, the meetings are nicely spread geographically and chronolgically

Re: Preliminary calendar for UK 2006 - 11/16/05 11:39 AM

So, to be a little more precise, I make that:

Bala S C ----- 29th April - 1st May

Mumbles or Saundersfoot ----- June (early June if we want to be involved in the Gower Race)

Marconi ECPR ------- mid July

Eastbourne S C ------ 29/30 July

Datchet S C ------- September?

Grafham S C ------- 21/22 October

That leaves the poss of a Sheppey meet in Sept/Oct?

Has anyone got more precise dates?

While I think that finishing the series with Grafham is a good idea, there's always Weston in November for the diehards.........

Re: Preliminary calendar for UK 2006 - 11/16/05 04:31 PM

So, to be a little more precise, I make that:

Bala S C ----- 29th April - 1st May

Mumbles or Saundersfoot ----- June (early June if we want to be involved in the Gower Race)

Marconi ECPR ------- July 2nd 2006 (with inshore series the day before)

Eastbourne S C ------ 29/30 July

Datchet S C ------- September?

Grafham S C ------- 21/22 October

That leaves the poss of a Sheppey meet in Sept/Oct?

Has anyone got more precise dates?

While I think that finishing the series with Grafham is a good idea, there's always Weston in November for the diehards.........
Posted By: waynemarlow

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 11/18/05 06:54 PM

Cool to have so many events but do we not think that just maybe there could be just a few too many events for the first few years, it would be better to get 4 really well attended events than 8 with only a few boats, just an opinion

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 12/02/05 03:59 PM

This thread has gone very quiet...........

Where are we on this John P?

Have you had any feedback from the other owners that don't frequent this forum?
Posted By: Wouter

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 12/02/05 05:08 PM

Sorry, my bad as well.

I haven't been chasing down the Dutch sailors on this topic. I have been very occupied with something else.

Will put some haste into this.

Wouter

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 12/19/05 01:58 PM

Well I have spoken to quite a few of the sailors and it seems that this schedule will probably suit most people.

Nations cup at Mumbles in June, date tbf, but 3 days racing
ECPR July 1st/2nd
Eastbourne 29th 30th July
Datchet hopefully September Dave?
Grafham October 21st 22nd October

So we have 5 events, 1 discard with the nations cup a do not discard.

So how does this look.

I would also like to propose a training weekend at Datchet in April, How many would be interested?

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 01/07/06 12:33 PM

Just thought I'd better bump this back to the top

I'll certainly try to travel to all of the events - we need to promote these boats as much as poss this year. How about everyone else?

As for the 'training' weekend at Datchet - I'm up for that as well. Any idea when? John? Dave?

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 01/07/06 03:40 PM

Just so you guys know.

I've send your schedule to the guy who is volunteering to set up some Dutch F16 events. He will plan around yours.

Wouter

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 01/07/06 04:07 PM

I refer to my post above

#61485 - 11/15/05 09:01 PM

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 02/02/06 08:22 PM

The programme for f16 racing in the UK has now been finalised, it is

April 1/2 & April 8/9 race training at Datchet
June 3rd - 5th Nations Cup Mumbles Yacht Club, South Wales
ECPR July 1/2
Eastbourne July 29/30
Datchet September tbd
Grafham October 21/22

The ranking for the series will be decided as follows

3 events count with the Nations Cup generating double points

points will be allocated as follows based on each event result

1st place 25 points
2nd place 22 points
3rd place 20 points
4th place 18 points
5th place 17points and so on down to 1 point for 21st (if we get that many!!)

The coaching is open to all F16's there is no charge except for a day sailing fee at Datchet, and I believe that boats can be stored at the club for the week in between.

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/07/06 11:08 AM

The F16 5 Nations Cup/Nationals now on the MYC event programme.

www.mumblesyachtclub.co.uk

Directions etc on the "Visitor information" page.

Posted By: Björn

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/15/06 12:57 PM

When looking at the page it reads: " Stealth 5 Nations Cup and Nationals", but I guess it is an F16 event, so we can attend with a Blade.

Are there any special rates available for the ferry? Lots of British sailors go down to lake Garda every year, so maybe you guys know better how to get the best rate for the ferry.

Maybe it makes sense to split the price by loading two boats on one trailer. Anyone interested?

Cheers, Björn

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/15/06 02:01 PM

Bjorn,

I have some issue to sort out first but I'm trying to go to this nations cup event.

However I'm pretty sure that we can't handle the costs alone. So we (crew and I) are definately looking to stack boats on a single trailer and share a car with 4 persons. That will make it affordable to us I think.

So yes, I'm definately interested.

Wouter

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/15/06 09:38 PM

Are there any special rates available for the ferry? Lots of British sailors go down to lake Garda every year, so maybe you guys know better how to get the best rate for the ferry.

I've not done it yet, but I have to collect my Blade from Zandvoort and as far as I can see, the cheapest option is the tunnel. Rather more driving, but they don't charge much excess for the trailer.

Paul

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/16/06 03:08 PM

The cost of crossing the channel is significantly less for you europeans than us Brits, the channel tunnel is probably your best option, and of course the event is open to all f16s.

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/16/06 10:44 PM

I've been spending quite some time finding out about the pricing of crossing and it is no fun I can tell you.

Anyway. Seems the Chunnel is the easiest to get a quick price fix.

Chunnel (Calais- Folkestone)

plain car 4 persons = about 270 Euro's
Car with boat trailer at midnight (4 persons) = 477 Euro's
Car with boat trailer at midday (4 persons) = 550 Euro's

By the way there is no difference in price if you go with 1,2, 3 or 4 persons.

Ferry Calais-Dover (P&0)

Car with boat trailer at midnight (4 persons) = 210 Euro's
Car with boat trailer at midday (4 persons) = 196 Euro's

Ferry Calais-Dover (Seafrance)

Car with boat trailer at midnight (4 persons) = 180 Euro's
Car with boat trailer at midday (4 persons) = 232 Euro's

These are the best rates that I could find.

Mind you the Chunnel is fastest by far. 35 minutes compared to nearly 2 hours of the ferries.

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/16/06 11:11 PM

Anyway. Seems the Chunnel is the easiest to get a quick price fix.

Chunnel (Calais- Folkestone)

plain car 4 persons = about 270 Euro's
Car with boat trailer at midnight (4 persons) = 477 Euro's
Car with boat trailer at midday (4 persons) = 550 Euro's

*ouch*

Those prices are nothing like those for a journey in March/April from the UK (just over £100), and a fair bit more from what I'm seeing for June (around £300, taking advantage of the short stay saver)

Just sail across - it's not that far

Paul

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/16/06 11:33 PM

Looks like the only trip I can affort will go something like this :

Drive to Calais
Take the P&O ferry to Dover
Drive to South Wales
Set up tent and cook on my camping stove with food that I've brung over

Do the event (get my behind handed to me !)

Break down tent
Drive to Dover
Take the P&O ferry to Calais
Drive home

Ferry costs about 200 Euro's
km costs 1000 To and back from Calais + about 1500 to and from South Wales = 2500 * 0.2 = 500 Euro's
Some additional camping costs and the "last one in buys a round" stuff = 150 Euro's

Total 850 Euro's minimum

WAAAAY out of my budget if I need to sail solo.

Dear when sailing doublehanded 425 Euro/person

Doable (for me) when stacking boats and sharing the drive with another crew : 200/person + some personal costs.

Say guys, how many sailors are REALLY expected to turn up at the Nations cup ? How many 2-ups and 1-ups.

Wouter

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/17/06 01:06 PM

I have spoken to some of the sailors and so far the we have the following boats commited to the nations cup

Firm Commitment

Toby Hoyle single handed
Alan and Jan Thomas double
Dave Tugwell double /single
John Alani
Neil Rushton
Mark Presdee single
John Pierce
Wayne Richards single

Probable
Mike Young
Mark Pattinson
Paul Warren

Possible

Aaron Young
Clive Wright

I still have quite a few people to contactr so the numbers should go up.

Posted By: Timbo

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/17/06 01:30 PM

John, since you are with Stealth Marine I will ask you; do you ever supply new boats as charters for out of country sailors, for the event, then sell them at a discount after the event?

Over here in the USA Nacra, Hobie, Bimare (and next year Vectorworks Blade) do this for our National Multihull Championship, called the Alter Cup, which is going on this weekend in Pensacola, Florida on Inter 20's. Next year it wil be sailed on F16 Blades.

Seems you could get more sailors and sell more boats if you offered to charter out new ones then sell them afterwards and it would save some the cost of trailering in.

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/17/06 01:31 PM

If we could find some (free) local accommodation (and breakfast) in club members houses, would it make a difference to non-UK entries; i.e. would it make the difference between doing the event and not doing it...?

www.mumblesyachtclub.co.uk

You'd have to comfortable with sheep of course...

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/17/06 04:27 PM

Tim

We are just not big enough to make that kind of gesture, although I could posiibly find an older customer boat if someone was intrerested.

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/17/06 04:29 PM

Ed Maxwell confirmed for the naions cup, 9 definate entries

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/17/06 07:33 PM

Ed Maxwell confirmed for the naions cup, 9 definate entries

I'm now definite, so that's 10.

If I haven't sold my current boat by then, then I have a friend who would be keen to sail it so there's a chance of another entry there.

Do the F16 rules or the organisers of the event have any objection to changing from 2up to 1up during the event? I'm not talking about leaving the crew on the shore for a particular race if the wind looks a bit light, but I may have a crew for Saturday and Sunday, but not Monday.

Paul

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/17/06 11:37 PM

From the perspective of class rules I would say :"no objections"

Wouter

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/18/06 01:54 AM

Swapping crew and changing from 2 up to 1 up and vice versa happened at last years UK meeting. No problems as far as I could see, the boats are pretty level in either config.
Posted By: davidtugwell

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/18/06 10:04 AM

Sounds good to me. Dump the crew at sea if they get stroppy.

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/18/06 11:23 AM

If anyone needs a crew (or helm) for any of these, drop me a PM as I might be able to make it. I'm planning to do a few things this year and If the boat sells (Fingers crossed) I will be boatless for at least 6-8 weeks; I cannot not go sailing for that long.....

Posted By: waynemarlow

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 03/18/06 01:32 PM

don't forget to take off the jib if you do throw the crew overboard ( as one or two didn't do last year not naming names ).

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 04/03/06 07:55 PM

Nigel Leeming also confirmed although can't make the first day, so running total now 11 boats.

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 04/04/06 12:35 AM

John,

Is this the participation for the nations Cup ?

Wouter

Re: UK travellers trophy events 2006 - 04/04/06 10:15 AM

Yes this is confirmed entries for the nations cup, still a few sitting on the fence so hopefully the number will go up a bit more.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums